SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-21, 02:48 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Briefs of War Damage to US submarines (link)

Great reading and photos regarding damage to US submarines during the war.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...-I.html#SS-198
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 03:44 PM   #2
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Great resource, thanks for the link.

After a very quick read, it's pretty significant the number of times "ship remained on patrol" ends the sometimes extensive, damage reports. Speaks well to the damage control training in the sub force.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:18 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That's like that Tambor link that Bubblehead1980 first linked to, and after 17 hours of depth-charging, some motor mount bolts had broken, so they turned some steel stock, cut new threads, and filed a bolt head on it... slightly labor-intensive. took some patience... but it worked! They went back to patrolling with makeshift radio antenna and only one slightly working periscope, and after sending the skinny guy down the periscope well for some gauges that had broken off, to patch the TDC with... no radar, etc. Me? I would have wanted to run home and cry for mommy... That's my dad's generation.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 11:03 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's like that Tambor link that Bubblehead1980 first linked to, and after 17 hours of depth-charging, some motor mount bolts had broken, so they turned some steel stock, cut new threads, and filed a bolt head on it... slightly labor-intensive. took some patience... but it worked! They went back to patrolling with makeshift radio antenna and only one slightly working periscope, and after sending the skinny guy down the periscope well for some gauges that had broken off, to patch the TDC with... no radar, etc. Me? I would have wanted to run home and cry for mommy... That's my dad's generation.

While it was a harrowing situation, the fact they got the skinny kid in the crew to go down into the periscope well to fetch the TDC gauges blown off, rather amusing. The fact they continued on patrol with their boat in that material condition, and sunk another ship is a testament to the CO and his crew, Definitely the greatest generation.
Old 04-15-21, 11:19 PM   #5
propbeanie

"Nothin' to it" my dad would say. Or "somebody had to do it"... Definitely the greatest generation. We finally talked him into an honor flight a few years ago, and he was the only WWII / Korean vet on the flight. Not many of them left. Dad is 95 now, closing in on 96 fast...

Old 04-16-21, 05:01 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: In honor, to all who have served with distinction...

Quote:
"Nothin' to it" my dad would say. Or "somebody had to do it"... Definitely the greatest generation. We finally talked him into an honor flight a few years ago, and he was the only WWII / Korean vet on the flight. Not many of them left. Dad is 95 now, closing in on 96 fast...

M. M.

Old 04-16-21, 05:11 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

Approaching 96? That is awesome. Regarding the honor flight, what a great experience. I have to say, it is sad though, watching that generation fade with time. Always feel fortunate though that lived in a time when so many made it into such an age, I have had the chance to know many (still do) personally and be acquainted. One example is growing up in Florida 50 miles from USS Alabama and Drum and fifteen minutes from the National Naval Aviation Museum, I met a lot of guys have read about at some point, recognized the names . Many were volunteers , tour guides back then. Noticed about ten years ago roughly, not many WW II guys volunteering, many passed on or too elderly.
Old 04-16-21, 05:14 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

Did you get a chance to watch ?

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=249180
Old 04-16-21, 06:51 PM   #9
propbeanie

Yes, thanks. We have to do that with my dad. He has finally told me some stories after years of only telling the good stuff, which apparently wasn't too much, too often, but we never have gotten around to it. My sister was doing some "video-taping" of him, but it was for mom, and he only talked about us kids on it... which was great, don't get me wrong, but it was for mom as she was slipping into senility, to help her "spark" her memory... we have to do the same with dad, for dad, and for his grandkids & great-grandkids...

Old 04-16-21, 07:25 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, thanks. We have to do that with my dad. He has finally told me some stories after years of only telling the good stuff, which apparently wasn't too much, too often, but we never have gotten around to it. My sister was doing some "video-taping" of him, but it was for mom, and he only talked about us kids on it... which was great, don't get me wrong, but it was for mom as she was slipping into senility, to help her "spark" her memory... we have to do the same with dad, for dad, and for his grandkids & great-grandkids...

Just checking, they are excellent videos. Yes definitely should.

Something else noteworthy in the damage reports, how many were seriously damaged by "friendly" fire, primarily from aircraft. Thus, why added it to TMO. Actually had a "friendly" PBY attack me off of Midway in May 1942 200 NM W of Midway as departed after fuel sto, got below before damage was done. Thing is the PBY earlier in day, was friendly and did not bomb, this one looked friendly lol until saw it making the dive. Definitely forces player to dive or keep an eye on ALL aircraft contacts. Oddly the "aircraft" spotted dialog did not pop as does when an "enemy" aircraft pops up.