SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-19, 08:52 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Icon12 Name three famous dates in Submarine History!

Oct 14 1939 U-47 sinks HMS Royal Oak
Feb 17 1864 CSS Hunley sinks USS Housatonic
Jan 17 1955 Nautilus Underway on Nuclear Power

What have you got?!

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-11-19 at 06:17 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:04 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

March of 1989- The USS Barbel sails into Subic Bay for a two week upkeep availability.

I don't remember much of it but all of my friends said I had a good time.

November of 1989- The COB of the USS Barbel assigns (then) ET3SN as a tour guide and liason for the HMAS Ottoway during their port visit to Pearl Harbor and Honolulu. Two years later, the COB of the USS Bremerton assigns ET2SN as the tour guide and liason to the.. HMAS Ottoway during another visit to Pearl Harbor. My liver still hasn't recovered but everyone said I had fun.

June of 1992- The USS Bremerton sails into CFB Esquimalt (Victoria, BC) for a four day port visit.

For legal reasons, I don't remember most of it.

Last edited by ET2SN; 12-07-19 at 09:43 PM.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 12:21 AM   #3
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I'll bite.

22 September 1914. U-9 sinks armoured cruisers Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy off the Broad Fourteens. After this ships would no longer attempt to rescue survivors if a submarine attack was suspected.

1 January 1915. U-24 sinks battleship HMS Formidable off the Devon coast becoming the first British battleship sunk by a U-Boat. Events following the sinking contributed to the 1940 novel Lassie Come Home.

27 May 1915. U-21 commanded by KL Hersing torpedoes his second battleship, HMS Majestic off Gallipoli becoming the first U-Boat commander to sink two battleships. Two days earlier U-21 had sank the battleship HMS Swiftsure

Quote:
Correction thanks to Neal, U-21's first battleship victim was Swiftsure's sister Triumph. My error.

Last edited by Randomizer; 12-08-19 at 02:03 PM.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 05:01 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

14 April 1945, U-1206 was stricken from a toilet malfunction flooding the fore compartment. (she was later bombed from the air)

9 Febuary 1945, HMS Ventura Sinks U-864 in the first ever submarine combat with two submarged vessles .

1 June 1939 HMS Thetis disaster, The vessel sunk while attempting her first dive in the bay of Birkenhead during her sea trials, 99 lives were lost, cause was put down to malfunctioning torpedo tube.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 06:43 AM   #5
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

-12 September 1942 sinking of RMS Laconia, The sadly ended rescue operation.

-3 October 1939 Commander Lott of U-35 after sinking of Greek merchant Diamantis, carried her crew ashore in Ireland.

-16 October 1940 Italian Commander Salvatore Todaro of Alfredo Cappelllini took the crew of sunk Belgian merchant Kabalo to safety to the shores of Azores.
Old 12-08-19, 06:45 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1915, May 7 – German submarine U-20 sinks RMS Lusitania killing 1,198 and leaving 761 survivors. The sinking turned public opinion in many countries against Germany, contributed to the U.S. entry into World War I.

1941, November 13 – U-81 strikes HMS Ark Royal with a single torpedo. She sinks the following day due to crippling damage.

1982, May 2 – British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror sinks Argentine cruiser General Belgrano off the Falkland Islands. It was the first sinking of any vessel by a nuclear-powered submarine in wartime and also the first time that a nuclear-powered submarine fired weapons in an act of war.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 11:13 AM   #7
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

September 6, 1776 Experimental submarine Turtle piloted by Continental Army Sergeant Erza Lee attacks the HMS Eagle, Flagship of Lord Howe in New York harbor marking the first recorded combat use of a submarine to attack a ship.
My other two choices have been mentioned already.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 11:18 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Excellent!

Three more:

12 Aug 2000; Kursk lost
10 April 1963; Thresher lost
22 May 1968; Scorpion lost

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-08-19 at 11:26 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 11:38 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I'll bite.

27 May 1915. U-21 commanded by KL Hersing torpedoes his second battleship, HMS Majestic off Gallipoli becoming the first U-Boat commander to sink two battleships. Two days earlier U-21 had sank the battleship HMS Swiftsure.
Says in wiki it was HMS Triumph

Quote:
After a week in the friendly port Hersing sailed to his new operational area off Gallipoli, which he reached on 25 May. The same day he spotted the British battleship HMS Triumph. Hersing brought his U-boat to within 300 yards (270 m) of his target and fired a single torpedo, which hit the battleship and caused it to capsize and sink,

Wow, he was also the first captain to sink an enemy warship by torpedo

Quote:
On September 5 Hersing spotted the light cruiser Pathfinder off the Scottish coast, sailing at a reduced speed of 5 knots due to a short supply of coal. Hersing decided to attack the ship and hit her with a single torpedo just below the bridge, close to the ship's powder magazine, which was destroyed by a great explosion. The ship sank in a short time and 261 sailors were killed. It was the first sinking of a modern warship by a submarine armed with torpedoes.
Old 12-08-19, 11:51 AM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Wow, he was also the first captain to sink an enemy warship by torpedo

That must be a powered torpedo as the spar mounted weapon used by the Hunley was also called a torpedo.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 11:53 AM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

(an off topic input)
Talking about misreading a message

I thought it said ....famous dates in subsims history.

Markus

(End)
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 11:57 AM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
That must be a powered torpedo as the spar mounted weapon used by the Hunley was also called a torpedo.
Right, you know what it means, they called mines "torpedoes" early on, so now we call self-propelled torpedoes simply "torpedoes".
Old 12-08-19, 01:10 PM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Lets do this backwards from Jim's being my first choice backwards in history although the sinking of the USS Thresher
was very important to future ship building programs called "Fail Safe"

I will go with these three important developments in submarine warfare

Number 1

1982, May 2 – British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror sinks Argentine cruiser General Belgrano off the Falkland Islands.
It was the first sinking of any vessel by a nuclear-powered submarine in wartime and also the first time that a nuclear-powered submarine fired weapons in an act of war.

Number 2

The Frigate Bird test, which took place on May 6th, 1962
The test, code-named “Frigate Bird,” involved the launch of a Polaris missile from a submarine carrying a live nuclear warhead.
The missile traveled a thousand miles before streaking down on an uninhabited island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, exploding with the force of 37 Hiroshima bombs.

Frigate Bird was the only US test of an operational ballistic missile with a live warhead. This test involved firing a Polaris A1 missile from a ballistic missile submarine.
The missile was launched by the USS Ethan Allen (SSBN-608) at 13:18 (local) from a position 1500 nm east-northeast of Christmas Island.

Number 3

The first Polaris boat, USS George Washington, fired a Polaris missile on 20 July 1960, and commenced its initial operational patrol on 16 November 1960
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 01:55 PM   #14
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Says in wiki it was HMS Triumph
Knew that it was one of the Chilean pair and that's the problem when one posts by memory...

15 Feb 1960. USS Triton (SSRN-586, Captain Edward Beach USN commanding) sails for the first submerged circumnavigation of the world.

3 August 1914. Fearing attack by the light cruiser SMS Leipzig, British Columbia Premier Richard McBride purchases two submarines being built in Seattle for Chile. The boats are named HMCS CC-1 and CC-2 and are taken into the Canadian Naval Service on 6 August. The Dominion government reimburses BC for the costs and the boats are Canada's first submarines.

14 February 1905. During the war with Japan, Russian submarines Delfin and Som sortie from Vladivostok becoming the first modern submarines to make combat patrols. The boats had been shipped to the Pacific by rail, assembled and tested during 1904.

-C

We have the Belgrano sinking twice, there should be a penalty for repeated incidents!
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 04:20 PM   #15
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

1. In February 1989 the McKee performed the first at-sea weapons transfer to a submarine since World War II, to the USS Ohio (SSBN-726).

2. USS Balao starred as the "pink submarine" in the 1959 comedy film Operation Petticoat, co-starring with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis

3. Cornelis Jacobszoon Drebbel; inventor and builder of the first navigable submarine was born was born 1572 in Alkmaar, Netherlands.
"... and in his later time kept an Ale-house below the [London] bridge. He had an invention of going under water which he used so advantageously, that many persons were perswaded that he was some strange Monstar, and that means drew many to see him and drink of his ale.'

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-08-19 at 04:29 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote