SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-20, 11:16 AM   #46
ljqcn101
Sailor man

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

There're other programs that can help you if you want your uboat moving all the time. Those are generally speaking TMA methods.

The Maneubo, if you're comfortable with clicking and setting numbers in a UI: http://www.adammil.net/Maneubo/

Or some TMA calculators, if you're comfortable with typing numbers in a console:

Last edited by ljqcn101; 04-30-20 at 03:52 AM.
ljqcn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 05:51 AM   #47
ljqcn101
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
(There are other 4 bearing methods that work in a different way and can be done moving all the time. See some PDFs in my lowest signature link. They have to be drawn manually on the map, Gutted's program doesn't work like that.)
Gutted's hydrophone tracker can still be used under a constant moving condition in some way. The theory is that, the same formula used to extrapolate the 4th bearing when stationary can also be used when ownship is moving at a constant speed & course.

Old 04-26-20, 09:13 AM   #48
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

It can be used to predict the 4th 'imaginary' bearing. But the plot it provides falls apart if you are moving. You would need to plot your predicted position along the old course for the 4th instant and draw it on the map yourself anyway. Then find the intersection with the bearing from your actual position.
Old 04-26-20, 09:56 AM   #49
ljqcn101
Sailor man

Yes exactly. If someone wants to save time by using the hydrophone tracker to get the 4th 'imaginary' bearing then he/she could work this way.

When ownship is constantly moving, the plot this program provides can be deemed as a relative motion plot, which is also useful in a Maneuvering Board if someone wants to try out the historical 2x3 bearing method (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240739), but it could be more time consuming too.

Anyways just some of the many ways to do TMA.
Old 10-09-20, 12:12 AM   #50
Captain Prise
Seaman

Downloads: 82

neat app but how does the clock work? could anyone help me? thanks
Captain Prise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 11:25 AM   #51
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Prise View Post
neat app but how does the clock work? could anyone help me? thanks
Be stopped, or only move forward while the periscope is pointing forward or aft and you are turned facing or away from the target.

Start the clock when the target starts crossing the line with it's bow.
Stop the clock when it leaves the line with the stern.

Look at the scales which are closest to the length of the target:
The needle crosses the scale where that length of target would have that speed. On the other length scale it would have a different speed. If your target has a speed somewhere in between you need to adjust the result to best reflect it.

If it has length 125m, then take the average of the crossing points on the 100m and 150m scale.

If it has length 110m, then take the difference in speeds indicated on both scales, divide by 5 (or shift the decimal to the left and multiply by 2), then add that to the speed indicated on the lower length scale.

It's not as useful if you want precision. But it indicates a quick ballpark.

Using the calculator side of the attackdisk can be much more straight forward quickly. Align target length on the yellowish distance scale with the time in seconds on the white time disk. Pointer on the time disk points to speed in knots on the yellowish speed scale (in the middle of it).
Old 10-11-20, 10:33 PM   #52
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
There is nothing wrong with your result. The example is somehow in error. Maybe made before a bug was fixed.

correct, and im too lazy to update the screenshot

Added a note under the hydrophone screenshot to not use it as an example.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-20, 02:29 AM   #53
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

version 2.3.4 was uploaded

Small fix for the settings dialog box. It was not reading the saved value for OwnShip default speed, and was always setting the control to the default value of 3.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 05:59 AM   #54
Rand(0)
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 40

Great all-in-one application, thank you for creating it.
Would it be possible to let the user enter custom zoom levels for the periscope solver?
Rand(0) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 05:35 PM   #55
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Rand(0)!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-23, 12:03 AM   #56
II WO
Swabbie

Downloads: 32

Is there a way to snap the second pointer (attack disc backside) to a certain value (57.3 seconds) for navigation turn radius?
II WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-23, 04:49 AM   #57
Pisces
Silent Hunter

On my physical disk I just made a marker with my pen. I would advise against making a snap-lock point as that might disrupt any calculations when you are not needing that specific point. It could result in incorrect calculations involving time because of the snap.

Instead I would suggest to change the template to emphasize that point. Useful points are imho: 180/pi seconds (57.3 on the orange Zeit disk; or 9m33s on the minute scale) Align distance in the turn on the distance scale to the angle turn shown as seconds (not minutes!). So a full 360 degrees turn is 36(0) seconds marker or the white 6th minute marker. Then the 180/pi marker points to the radius on the distance scale. Check 6283m to 36(0) seconds and 1000m as radius at 57.3 marker.

Similarly as I suggested OneLifeCrissis back in the day for the speed calculation and zoom-factor correction magic-number on the RAOBF)
Also, there is already a Pi marker at 3140m on the distance scale, and 3.14knots on the speed scale. I haven't found a good use in calculations for those though.