SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-21, 02:50 PM   #16
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Disregard? No, these are good advice and even if I know, my memory is a bit like swizz cheese so do point out any tips, even if it's a reminder, or stressing the importance of something I haven't looked enough at!

Just yesterday did I look up priorities and I can really do with hints and tips for various priority setups for various situations.

Also, just an hour ago did I learn more about heat. Not a lot yet but the concept of stealth is new to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I have had a quick look at trackIR but this being hi tech for my commodore 64 brain, are these kits that come with everything you need, or is it just a camera/software and anything else is for us to piece together?
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 08:51 AM   #17
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

If you buy a retail kit it includes everything. It's a camera you attach to the top of your monitor (or other appropriate place), and a hat clip or similar reflective device. That's all there is to it aside from installing the software.

I cannot recommend it enough. I don't even like to fly without it. Every now and then I'll fire up Elite but forget to start the TIR. I then climb in the ship with a fixed view and it's just so archaic, like I'm back in 1999 or something haha. One of the best simming investments I've ever made.

You mentioned heat and that's a core part of my builds. Many of my ships are engineered to run cool. Heat in Elite is a function of power draw, and a few other factors like power plant efficiency (higher class are more efficient in dissipating heat). So the less power it needs, the cooler it runs.

My Orca for example is engineered to run very cool, it idles at 14% heat. This makes it a great smuggler avoiding scans, and it's difficult for enemies to resolve it on their sensors. My Diamondback Explorer also runs that cool.

I build my ships to be very fast, run cool and jump far. I'm willing to trade integrity and firepower to achieve this. But with engineering it's a matter of degrees since you can usually cover most deficiencies with modifications.
Old 01-20-21, 09:15 AM   #18
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Looks like Coriolis is back up. Here are a few of my ships

Sunburst Orca -- Interstellar Style Magnet

This ship is very fast and runs very cool. Good jump. Used for sightseeing, bulk transport, VIP transport, rescue missions and criminal smuggling. Unarmed. Fantastic canopy view. One of my favorite ships.

Mad Hops Diamondback Explorer -- Deep Diver / Bubble Runner

DBX used for deep dive exploration, a bubble-runner and anytime I need to go far, quick. Fantastic jump range near 70. Recently took this ship out to Colonia to unlock all the engineers there. DBX is a great little ship.

Poison Whiskey Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper

One of my many Kraits, this one is mainly used to prowl RES and CNBs to scoop up the valuable mats from combat kills. I also reconfigure it a bit to hunt Thargoids. The Krait II is my favorite ship in Elite.

Anyway, just a few ship builds for you to look over. I love discussing Elite ship building, so if there's anything on your mind fire away.
Old 01-20-21, 11:08 AM   #19
Von Due
Sea Lord

I probably need to work out how to build my own button box(es). A quick calculation tells me a full virpil setup with dual sticks will cost me more than 2000 euro. Doable but not in one go, that's for sure.

Really appreciate those links! They're gold.

Like I mentioned, I am working up the money for an asp explorer for deep exploration far away from the bubble. I've gathered that "range" is essentially 2-fold: One is the jump range but equally important is endurance, in lack of a better word: The range via multiple jumps before refuelling is necessary. That, I believe, is a function of fuel tank size, fuel consumption in normal flight/supercruise as well as ship mass in fuel calculations for single jump range. I haven't looked at distances near the edge of the galaxy, or what kind of stars I will find there but I think, I believe, that if I trade off some single jump distance for increased endurance, I will get further out to find scoopable stars far out there. The big question is then how should I split capabilities between these 2 different measures of range.

Last edited by Von Due; 01-20-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-20-21, 11:27 AM   #20
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
I've gathered that "range" is essentially 2-fold: One is the jump range but equally important is endurance, in lack of a better word: The range via multiple jumps before refuelling is necessary. That, I believe, is a function of fuel tank size, fuel consumption in normal flight/supercruise as well as single jump range. I haven't looked at distances near the edge of the galaxy, or what kind of stars I will find there but I think, I believe, that if I trade off some single jump distance for increased endurance, I will get further out to find scoopable stars far out there. The big question is then how should I split capabilities between these 2 different measures of range.

One of my proudest accomplishments in Elite is having never run out of gas! Haha, but plenty do. If you ever find yourself stranded call the Fuel Rats ! It's a group of players dedicated to saving commanders stranded anywhere in the galaxy. Saints among men.

As to the range/endurance issue, it is certainly something to be aware of, and improve if possible. For me though, jump range is the thing. Endurance is also important, but with a fuel scoop and scoopable stars, it really is a minor one for me. There are places you can go where KGBFOAM stars are few and far between, and then it become vitally important! But in general terms endurance is not a big deal, as long as you have a scoop.

If you look at those builds I linked to, you see a few modifications to increase range. Aside from any weight saving modifications, the important ones are FSD engineering and the Guardian FSD Booster.

The FSD has the long range modification with the mass manager experimental. Mass manager reduces the amount of fuel gulped during each jump, which in turn boosts the endurance (or total range on a single tank. Jump range and total jump range are displayed at the top left in Coriolis). The GFSDB is a special module that requires jumping through some hoops to acquire, and adds a flat boost to jump range with the amount depending on module class. Check youtube.

You can mess around in Coriolis and try various modules and engineering to see what effect it has.

AspX is a great ship, it was my third ship, but I've since sold it. But I do have a lot of experience building and using one. I took my first real exploration trip in an AspX, 5000 light years out to unlock one of the engineers.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-20-21 at 11:38 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 11:40 AM   #21
Von Due
Sea Lord

If the game galaxy is what we believe our real galaxy is like, then scoopable stars (Oh, Be A Fine Girl. Kiss Me as they taught me in physics class years ago ) should be in a minority compared to non-scoopable ones. My cosmology knowledge leaves a lot to be desired so I don't know how these scoopables are distributed throughout the galaxy.

Oh and the fuel rats: I am aware of them. Their existence was indeed one of the reasons why I bought ED in the first place, me being less than optimistic about online behavour from some players learning about the fuel rats changed my mind about this particular game. So not only are the rats awesome in my book, they are partially to blame I now spend hours each week on this game
Old 01-20-21, 12:01 PM   #22
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I use a third party site called Elite Dangerous Star Map for my exploration stuff. It tracks all discoveries. A few months ago I flew to Colonia and back as mentioned. That's a long trip

EDSM allows me to see how the star class breaks down. You may be right that KGBFOAM stars should be in the minority, but if so, it's not reflected in my experience.

https://www.edsm.net/

Some stats from that trip

Distance Flown: 53,296
Jumps: 887
Systems: 854
Scans: 6,699
Exploration Data: 536 million

I made tons of first discoveries, thousands, which now all have my commander name on them as first discovery. This was the thing that drew ME to Elite, the notion that I could stitch my name across the galaxy for perpetuity (or until Elite 2 haha)

On that trip I scanned a couple thousand stars, and by far the most common I found was K, followed by M. But these numbers are affected a little because I filter my route planner to avoid some of the least desirable star systems. I am hunting for Earth-likes, Ammonia Worlds and Water Worlds, since these are most valuable and beautiful. So if I filter say T class out, I will find fewer of them (as main sequence). But the bottom line is that even on a trip like this I was never more than a jump or two away from a scoopable. If you become a deep explorer, one who goes away for months at a time, then you certainly can find yourself stranded with no scoopables within range. But for the vast majority of play it won't be an issue really.

Last edited by Threadfin; 02-15-21 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 12:10 PM   #23
Von Due
Sea Lord

Your experience with main sequence stars is gold. Real world is real word and game worlds are game worlds, what may be true for one doesn't have to be true for the other, thank goodness! It could very well be that scoopables are more frequent all across the galaxy here than in real life (and even real life is down to theories since most brown dwarfs are practically speaking "invisible" from Earth and noone knows for sure how many of them there are).
Old 01-20-21, 01:52 PM   #24
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Good hunting commander and if anything pops up give me a shout.

One last tip, that I'm sure you know...

Never fly without rebuy!
Old 01-20-21, 03:12 PM   #25
Von Due
Sea Lord

Just reached Felicia Farseer and did my first mods to my FSD. I am grateful someone took his time to explain the various options in a clear and easy to grasp way

Judging from the open comms channel leaking over from Open play, I am glad I entered this system in solo mode. Plenty of newcomers getting shot up by other players there.

Anyway, going to look closer at what I need for the various mods and experimentals, then off to get the next engineer.
Old 01-20-21, 03:20 PM   #26
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Awesome. If you only engineer one thing, the FSD is it.

Yeah, stay away from any engineer bases in Open, is my advice. Gankafalooza.

Most of my flying is in a Private Group. But I fly in open sometimes. I like the threat of other players, it makes me hyper aware. Good fun. But I will only fly a few of my ships in Open. I have a very fast Courier that you aren't going to catch unless you're also in one (or a Viper or iEagle, but these ships are a match). I'll fly that, my Fer de Lance and sometimes one of the Kraits. I won't fly the others in Open. I've lost just five ships in 1,500 hours. I approach the game like it's really my life on the line.

If you fly in open, always have a high-wake destination pre-selected so you can jump if it hits the fan. Low-wake is subject to mass lock and that's no good.
Old 01-20-21, 03:39 PM   #27
Von Due
Sea Lord

For the heck of it, I am pondering spending FSD range mods on the asp. I am terribly tempted to try to make the stealthiest Cobra I can, just to see how that works. I also have a Viper I will probably turn into a drag racer at some point. We'll see. A bit bummed out the Panther Clipper isn't in the game as it was my goal to get one every time I played the older games. It had a ridiculous cargo capacity.
Old 01-20-21, 03:58 PM   #28
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah man, why not? People thought me daft for building a smuggling Orca

But I love it.

Experiment all you can. But you know, this is why Coriolis is so useful. Engineering mats are Elite's true currency, and it can be costly to engineer mistakes. Coriolis lets you build it all before spending the mats.

One way to mitigate this is to own ships that share core module class. Like a Krait II and a Python, or a Courier and an Eagle/Viper. Now you can engineer one module, but swap it between ships for testing purposes.

In case you were not aware, Felicity sells a special set of thrusters called Enhanced Performance. Perfect for small ships like Courier, Eagle, Viper. They have much higher performance but a much lower optimal mass. But if you can build the ship within the limit it's a big performance boost. This is what you want to use in your drag racer Viper. Check my Courier, which uses these

Velocity Courier -- Speed Demon / Bounty Hunter

It could be much faster, I had top boost speed at 850 at one point. But I wanted to use it for bounty hunting and as I added weapons and protection the speed came down. Still very fast and a lot of fun to fight in. I black out all the time from the G-Loc lol. 785 boost.

And my iEagle, which I use for wake scanning, canyon joyrides and just faffing about. 820 boost.

Smokeless Imperial Eagle -- Wake Scanner / Canyon Racer

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-20-21 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 12:23 PM   #29
Von Due
Sea Lord

Just started playing with coriolis. Powerful indeed!

For some reason, the FSD doesn't show up correctly here but I maxed the range out of it (I think!) even though it defaults back to stock when linked
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp?code=...&bn=AspX%20001

This one is a bit impractical for scientific exploration but it shows the endurance can be ridiculous
https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda?...cwDbJJK%2BlCog
Old 01-21-21, 01:01 PM   #30
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

It's because the FSD is shut off. Check the power priorities below. Click the FSD to turn it back on, save and post link.

Nice jump range but I suspect you're too far over the power limit to cover it with module priorities? Maybe a different power plant, different PP engineering, or lower power draw somewhere else would need to be done.

Personally I only use A rated power plants because they are the best for heat. And I use the smallest one I can get away with. Most of my builds have a PP that is A-rated and one class lower than the slot calls for. Usually a little overcharged or armored engineering. Power Plant always gets done last. I theory-craft the ship, then install whichever PP I need to cover the power costs.

I only use A-rated dirty drive thrusters because speed is life.

I don't recommend additional fuel tanks but blaze your own.

Swap E-rated life support for D

Pulse wave only needed for core mining or sub surface

Class 3 scoop is mighty slow

I'm active on the FDev boards and post a lot in the ship subforum. One thing I try to be aware of is my tendency to try and change other commander's ships in to my own. But I'm a big believer in the 'blaze your own' mantra so I hesitate to be too critical, since my thing ain't necessarily your thing.

I should add that I have very specific requirements for ships to be part of my fleet, and any ships that fail to measure up are sold. My ships must jump at least 30 light years and boost at least 500 m/s. So my builds are always done with a eye towards hitting these figures. I like them light, fast and able to jump far. I don't mind compromises in other areas to make my ships as fast as possible while still able to perform the intended role. I am also a big proponent of having dedicated builds, and not trying to turn one ship in to a jack of all trades. For example I have a core miner Krait, a rumble bus Krait and a combat Krait. Just swap ships and go, no module swapping needed. Of course as a new player funds are limited and you can't splash the cash on a big fleet at this point.

Last edited by Threadfin; 02-15-21 at 01:21 PM.