SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-19, 11:12 AM   #1
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Going to try LSH2015 when my new PC arrives

I have ordered a new gaming desktop system to play SH3. When it arrives, I hope this week, I intend to run LSH2015.

At present, I am plowing the through the 90 pages or so of comments in the thread in the mod section. I am only a couple of pages in, so I hope I am not getting worried needlessly, but I am seeing some bug reports and recommended fixes.

So, yes, I am going to RTM [read the manual] and I have already downloaded the massive one piece install file [thank you high speed internet!] so my simple question is, will I be good to go out of the box with LSH2015 or shall I have to install a few fixes and tweaks?

Alright, back to the 90+ page thread...
Old 12-02-19, 03:02 AM   #2
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

I'm in the same boat.

New PC...at some time will try out LSH.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 06:45 AM   #3
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
I have ordered a new gaming desktop system to play SH3.
Why not WAC v 5 .2?
Old 12-02-19, 10:46 AM   #4
K-61
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Why not WAC v 5 .2?
Good morning, Anvar.

The only reason I have not considered WAC is because I am rather abysmally ignorant about it.

My primary reason for opting for LSH2015 is the promised eye candy and the massive inclusion of various other bits like S.hie that are integrated into the installer routine.

However, I am a customer who has walked into the car dealership with a pocketful of money looking to get a new car. How would you sell me on the merits of WAC?

Up until now I favoured GWX Gold, mainly because I found its damage model to be superior to all others. For those not familiar with it, ships were sunk in that mod mainly by destroying their buoyancy, which was mostly accomplished by putting holes in the ship to flood compartments. Stock damage model, as I would guess with just about all other mods, relies on the hit points system.

A ship has X amount of hit points, which can be killed by hitting the ship anywhere, even repeatedly until the number of hit points was reduced to zero. This could be accomplished in some unrealistic manner, such as repeatedly hitting the bridge structure with your deck gun. You could do the same with the hull above the water line. Realistically, this would not sink a ship. It would certainly batter it to bits, but since no water gets in, the ship cannot sink. The other method in stock damage model is by means of one or more catastrophic hits. Imagine an ammo ship or fuel tanker getting its cargo ignited. The consequent explosion[s] could sink the ship "indirectly." Think of the Japanese carriers at Midway. They were destroyed by dive bombers, not torpedo bombers. The ships were destroyed by internal detonations in vital areas of bombs, fuel. Granted, at least one of them was not sunk directly but were scuttled, but I am sure at least one of them sank from the explosions compromising hull integrity.

I also used to enjoy watching the various ways in which "flooded" ships in GWX sank. Very few of my destroyed targets went down in the usual SH3 way: big boom and snap in half. Some would go down quickly by the bow, as the engines drove them underwater, some sank by the stern, some listed to one side or the other and some rolled over and went down "butt up." It was a very enjoyable aspect of GWX, Sometimes a ship lingered for more than 24 hours and I would wait and wait and wait and then have to give her a final shot. At least once I fired the kill shot just to see her start to go under while the fish was still on the way. Wasted eel! The damage model of GWX added pucker factor to the game, as you were never quite sure if you had inflicted fatal damage. All adding enjoyment to the game for those who are more into realistic simulation than Hollywood booms and bangs.

In another post I had stated that I was going to wait until the new system arrives and use it as my only gaming rig, as my notebook is overheating again. I think instead of sending it out again to the shop for another costly disassembly, cleaning and CPU thermal paste reapplication that I should do it myself.

In the meanwhile, I will have a poke around and see if I can find a thread that details WAC in depth.
Old 12-02-19, 12:33 PM   #5
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
I will have a poke around and see if I can find a thread that details WAC in depth.

Many letters
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=233626

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q2xfh9...ch_manual_WAC5
Firstly, this is the newest. Secondly, it is also SH3.
Old 12-02-19, 03:14 PM   #6
K-61
Grey Wolf

Thank you for the link to the manual. i have downloaded it and am now reading it.

I did go through the first link, with the download link to WAC, but I did not wish to read through over a hundred pages. I am sure the manual will tell me all I wish to know, just like a new car brochure.
Old 12-03-19, 06:28 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Good morning, Anvar.

The only reason I have not considered WAC is because I am rather abysmally ignorant about it.

My primary reason for opting for LSH2015 is the promised eye candy and the massive inclusion of various other bits like S.hie that are integrated into the installer routine.

However, I am a customer who has walked into the car dealership with a pocketful of money looking to get a new car. How would you sell me on the merits of WAC?

Up until now I favoured GWX Gold, mainly because I found its damage model to be superior to all others. For those not familiar with it, ships were sunk in that mod mainly by destroying their buoyancy, which was mostly accomplished by putting holes in the ship to flood compartments. Stock damage model, as I would guess with just about all other mods, relies on the hit points system.

A ship has X amount of hit points, which can be killed by hitting the ship anywhere, even repeatedly until the number of hit points was reduced to zero. This could be accomplished in some unrealistic manner, such as repeatedly hitting the bridge structure with your deck gun. You could do the same with the hull above the water line. Realistically, this would not sink a ship. It would certainly batter it to bits, but since no water gets in, the ship cannot sink. The other method in stock damage model is by means of one or more catastrophic hits. Imagine an ammo ship or fuel tanker getting its cargo ignited. The consequent explosion[s] could sink the ship "indirectly." Think of the Japanese carriers at Midway. They were destroyed by dive bombers, not torpedo bombers. The ships were destroyed by internal detonations in vital areas of bombs, fuel. Granted, at least one of them was not sunk directly but were scuttled, but I am sure at least one of them sank from the explosions compromising hull integrity.

I also used to enjoy watching the various ways in which "flooded" ships in GWX sank. Very few of my destroyed targets went down in the usual SH3 way: big boom and snap in half. Some would go down quickly by the bow, as the engines drove them underwater, some sank by the stern, some listed to one side or the other and some rolled over and went down "butt up." It was a very enjoyable aspect of GWX, Sometimes a ship lingered for more than 24 hours and I would wait and wait and wait and then have to give her a final shot. At least once I fired the kill shot just to see her start to go under while the fish was still on the way. Wasted eel! The damage model of GWX added pucker factor to the game, as you were never quite sure if you had inflicted fatal damage. All adding enjoyment to the game for those who are more into realistic simulation than Hollywood booms and bangs.

In another post I had stated that I was going to wait until the new system arrives and use it as my only gaming rig, as my notebook is overheating again. I think instead of sending it out again to the shop for another costly disassembly, cleaning and CPU thermal paste reapplication that I should do it myself.

In the meanwhile, I will have a poke around and see if I can find a thread that details WAC in depth.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I'm not a fan of the NYGM or GWX sinking model.
I think the idea behind it is sound, but the implementation leans to the "overdone" side of things.
I.e., realism, immersion, what have you goes out the window when one hits a ship..............and it's engine(s) keep it sailing merrily along including to the instant it finally does sink hours later.

Or one hits a tramp steamer with more than one torpedo and it takes hours to sink.
Or having to wait around for hours and hours for to see if a hard hit ship finally sinks; I don't believe that would have been a sound decision by any U-boat commander in terms of the ship possibly having radioed a distress signal and bringing help to the scene either via ship or aircraft or both.
I realize that depending on the location that may have been a non-issue.

I've had plenty of slow sinkings with the stock damage model, so it's not an "every time is a big boom" with it in my experience.

Anyway, not a big deal just my thoughts on the subject. I do use the NYGM and GWX models as is.
Old 12-03-19, 06:37 PM   #8
K-61
Grey Wolf

JP, thanks for your comments and observations.

I've had similar experiences as yours. I recall one time I hit a fat T-3 tanker and she listed over until her railings were just about touching the water, part of the stern underwater. She seemed to take forever to settle and stubbornly clung to the surface. I can't remember what I did in the end, but I did take some screenshots of her.

So, perhaps they did take it a bit too far. On balance, I still tend to favour the GWX damage model, but the beauty of this game is you can play it your way. It's been years since I last played so perhaps I am skewing things in my memory.

Still no word yet on the new system. I've been off a few days; today is my last day at home. I guess the systems will arrive any day now, now that I have to go back to work.
Old 12-03-19, 07:10 PM   #9
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
JP, thanks for your comments and observations.

I've had similar experiences as yours. I recall one time I hit a fat T-3 tanker and she listed over until her railings were just about touching the water, part of the stern underwater. She seemed to take forever to settle and stubbornly clung to the surface. I can't remember what I did in the end, but I did take some screenshots of her.

So, perhaps they did take it a bit too far. On balance, I still tend to favour the GWX damage model, but the beauty of this game is you can play it your way. It's been years since I last played so perhaps I am skewing things in my memory.

Still no word yet on the new system. I've been off a few days; today is my last day at home. I guess the systems will arrive any day now, now that I have to go back to work.

Yeah, and with the game engine limitations the model was probably done the best it could have been.
Definately a great idea and effort.

Good luck with your new rig !
Old 12-07-19, 05:00 PM   #10
K-61
Grey Wolf

Heard from my techie today. The new computer should arrive on Monday, he takes a day to test it out and make sure all is well. Should be able to pick it up Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that all goes well...
Old 12-18-19, 11:07 AM   #11
K-61
Grey Wolf

New system finally arrived, then I had to let it sit in the box for most of a week due to work commitments. Anyhow, finally have it set up and configured with my productivity, security software and such. Having technical difficulties setting up my email. All of my server settings are correct and I had an ISP tech do a remote assistance session, so everything is good on their end. Now waiting to hear from Outlook support. Not holding my breath; I find these big companies ignore you as the peasant you are to them.

Next step is installing SH3 and a supermod or two, or three! Will keep you posted.
Old 12-21-19, 03:25 PM   #12
K-61
Grey Wolf

Today I have set aside a block of time for installing and configuring the game. I had a very discouraging start; got the game installed under W10 but could not get it to run no matter what I did. Installed it on a folder in C:\Games\SHIII and running as admin under W7 compatibility mode. No-disc installed but would not run.

Then I figured it out: I was only copying over the SH3.exe alone, not the other .dll files in the no-disc folder. Once I corrected that, she loads and runs fine. takes less than ten seconds to load a naval academy exercise. SSD sure makes the loading faster.

Next steps: Make an archive copy of the game "as is" in "vanilla" state, patched to 1.4b, then get to installing a supermod, tweaking and then run through the academy so as to get my sea legs under me again.
Old 12-26-19, 01:52 PM   #13
K-61
Grey Wolf

Just completed my first career patrol in LSH201, with all of the HSIE settings turned on except those for NYGM and GWX. All effects seem to be working fine. I wrecked a diesel when running at high speed under time compression.

Sank four ships for a total tonnage of about 20.7 K tons. Got the IK2 upon return to base. Getting ready for second war patrol but stopping here first to make observations.

Special effects looks sweet; I have the most graphics intense options enabled and green water mod. Nice big explosions and smoke so thick my eyes water just looking at my monitor. Noticed a variety of sinkings, not just the usual snap in two thing. Got jumped several times by flugzeugen, once very close but I got away. Then scraped my hull as I came through the sluice at WS. The gate closed on my tail as I was entering. Got a ticking off from Doenitz just before he gave me the IK2, so all is good.

Now, I must find myself some records for the gramophone. LSH seems to have a bare records cabinet.
Old 12-26-19, 06:04 PM   #14
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Just completed my first career patrol in LSH201, with all of the HSIE settings turned on except those for NYGM and GWX. All effects seem to be working fine. I wrecked a diesel when running at high speed under time compression.

Sank four ships for a total tonnage of about 20.7 K tons. Got the IK2 upon return to base. Getting ready for second war patrol but stopping here first to make observations.

Special effects looks sweet; I have the most graphics intense options enabled and green water mod. Nice big explosions and smoke so thick my eyes water just looking at my monitor. Noticed a variety of sinkings, not just the usual snap in two thing. Got jumped several times by flugzeugen, once very close but I got away. Then scraped my hull as I came through the sluice at WS. The gate closed on my tail as I was entering. Got a ticking off from Doenitz just before he gave me the IK2, so all is good.

Now, I must find myself some records for the gramophone. LSH seems to have a bare records cabinet.
What Hsie settings are "for NYGM and GWX ?"
Old 12-27-19, 09:31 AM   #15
K-61
Grey Wolf

The one for NYGM is called "Crash Dive" to fix the routine related to the "C" command for crash dive. The other one is called "Night Vision" and fixes a bug related to vision distance at night in GWX. If playing LSH the player should not enable either of these, and if playing one of those, then should enable the one appropriate to that mod, and I would assume not enable the ones for LSH.