SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-20, 12:30 PM   #1
taktik
Swabbie

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo help!

Good afternoon all, from a former infantry Devil Dog a bit out of his depth!

To start with, I was using Ralle's modsoup which includes TMO, OTC, and RSRDC mods. I took Rockin' Robbins's Youtube manual targeting lessons, and a few others to make sure that I was extensively educated in manual targeting, including in the Dick O'Kane method. Everything went swimmingly, using Dick O'Kane's method and normal manual targeting with the PK, for approximately...two days. On day three, I loaded up my game and found that using the Dick O'Kane method, from within 1000 yds I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Or a Nippon Maru.
I gave up that method after three targets sailed by me without getting a scratch on their pretty hulls and went back to using the PK. This time, observing the attack map as I launched torpedos, I found that my fish went consistently in the OPPOSITE angle from the line indicated by the attack map. E.g., the map showed a launch at 10 degrees would be a good solution (which looked correct by my guesstimation) and the torps all took off on a 350 heading instead. I fought with this for hours before finding that on one patrol only the stern tubes would operate "correctly", firing on the intended bearing, then on the next patrol neither set of tubes could find the ocean if I told them which direction it lay in.

Any guidance on what the heck possibly happened to my shooting would be greatly appreciated! Beginning to suspect that maybe a corrupted file exists in the modsoup (every time I load up my saved game I get notifications that "Hull has been damaged sir!" with no corresponding damage shown and no contacts in sight, then it disappears)

Last edited by taktik; 04-04-20 at 01:02 PM.
taktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 01:17 PM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Without a video it's hard to know, but what you describe would happen if the AoB were reversed. In other words set to port when it should be starboard. It's not the only possible explanation of course, but something to double check.
Old 04-04-20, 02:58 PM   #3
taktik
Swabbie

Downloads: 49

I do apologize for not being tech savvy enough to record and send a video of this occurring (Terrible for a young person, I know). But it happened on multiple occasions with ships coming both directions and all approaches were made between 80-100 track off course (I try to avoid 90 exactly to cut down on the number of duds), and AoB was adjusted accordingly each track. Perhaps it would help if I walkthrough my attack methodology?

-Surface radar picks up a contact, use first two plots to determine a rough course and angle myself accordingly to approach the track between 80-100 degrees.
-Once close enough for continuous updates, get a more precise track on target and adjust if necessary. Approach to within 2500 yds, <1500 if time allows.
-Once target gets in view, periscope depth, lock on with periscope and start PK.
-Having already determined speed while measuring course prior to periscope depth, enter speed first, click send button twice to be sure, measure AoB and click twice to be sure.
-When target gets within twenty degrees of my intended launch bearing, start continuously measuring and updating bearing and range, with periscope locked. Open outer doors.
-Target reaches my intended bearing, and I fire both or all three tubes.
-Switch to attack map and grumble vulgarities as my fish turn the opposing, mirrored angle of the line shown on the attack map for my current solution as being updated by the PK.
taktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 05:23 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

taktic!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote