SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-11, 04:02 AM   #1
Tozzifan
Bosun

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0
japanese Singapore shipping lanes

Hi,
I'm on the first assignment of the campaign: after completing the first tasks, now I'm assigned for hunting in the japanese-singapore lanes

I downloaded a few route charts from the forum, and now I'm parked in the Luzon strait, in wait

my question is: on the SH4 plotting map, there is no location to go to for the task, so, thinking to go into the South China Sea (also to get nearer to base ... I'm starting to be low on fuel), I wonder whether mission conditions will be met there or not

thanks
win8.1
i7-950//780ti//32Gb

Tozzifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 07:35 AM   #2
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Head to the southern ingress of the Formosa Strait. We eagerly await your arrival.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 08:38 AM   #3
Tozzifan
Bosun

Downloads: 87
win8.1
i7-950//780ti//32Gb

Tozzifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 11:02 PM   #4
Jetguy06
Seaman

Downloads: 50

Sorry to necro this ancient thread, but where EXACTLY at the southern point of the Formosa Strait do I need to be? I'm playing this objective now, and the pictures in the above post are gone. Thanks!!

Last edited by Jetguy06; 03-17-20 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-20, 04:42 PM   #5
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Japanese Convoy Routes 1943-1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Sorry to necro this ancient thread, but where EXACTLY at the southern point of the Formosa Strait do I need to be? I'm playing this objective now, and the pictures in the above post are gone. Thanks!!
You might like to look at this:
Japanese Convoy Routes 1943-1945
https://www.academia.edu/5515978/Jap...utes_1943-1945

Page 6 is a pretty good map; pages 3 - 5 list routes by number and dates they were abandoned. Note: one typo: index shows two route 3s, the Moji to Takao is actually route 31, an easy fix.
Old 03-18-20, 08:23 PM   #6
Jetguy06
Seaman

Thanks, but I should have clarified. I'm trying to find out where the objective zone is. I've been sailing around the south side of the strait for more than 72 hours (I was told to remain on station for that long), but I've never gotten the completed message.

I generally use my compass tool to put a 50nm radius circle on my map and stay there, but since there's no objective icon, I don't know where my patrol zone actually is.
Old 03-19-20, 05:35 AM   #7
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Thanks, but I should have clarified. I'm trying to find out where the objective zone is. I've been sailing around the south side of the strait for more than 72 hours (I was told to remain on station for that long), but I've never gotten the completed message.

I generally use my compass tool to put a 50nm radius circle on my map and stay there, but since there's no objective icon, I don't know where my patrol zone actually is.
Generally, the radius is 100nm around the "spot" marked on the nav map, but this might differ depending on mega mod you're using. Have you tried sending a message? Sometimes a message will trigger an objective change. Or, you might receive the "continue your objective" message.

I don't believe there's a penalty for leaving your objective to find better hunting grounds. Depending on the date, fuel level, number of torpedoes, etc., you might want to start heading back toward your home port and look for opportunities along the way.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-19-20, 05:45 AM   #8
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
You might like to look at this:
Japanese Convoy Routes 1943-1945
https://www.academia.edu/5515978/Jap...utes_1943-1945

Page 6 is a pretty good map; pages 3 - 5 list routes by number and dates they were abandoned. Note: one typo: index shows two route 3s, the Moji to Takao is actually route 31, an easy fix.

Von Zelda, I wanted to look at this, but it seems you need to be a member of that site. any other places to see it?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 09:11 AM   #9
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Von Zelda, I wanted to look at this, but it seems you need to be a member of that site. any other places to see it?
Don't click the PDF button or the downloads on the opening page.

Just use the wheel on your mouse to arrow down and you can see, read and copy just about all of it.
Old 03-19-20, 01:47 PM   #10
Jetguy06
Seaman

Thanks. I'm not concerned so much with leaving the patrol area. I'm trying to get the "Objective Complete" message that I can only get from staying in the patrol area. I just don't know exactly where the center of that 50 mile radius, 100 mile diameter circle is. That's what I'm trying to figure out. WernherVonTrapp posted some images of, I'm guessing, exactly where that location was, somewhere at the southern entrance of the Formosa Strait, but the images aren't available anymore.

Here is my activated mod list:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Bigger Better Protractors
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502

Thanks.
Old 03-19-20, 02:13 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I must be missing something in your question Jetguy06... did you get orders to "patrol" that area, or sink ships? If you are assigned an "anti-shipping operation", you can do that anywhere. You just have to find a place that has ships to be sunk. A "patrol" in TMO / RSRDC will give you a time limit and a location to go to. Do you see a "yellow" (or "orange", depending upon your perception of color) "star" anywhere on the Nav Map? That is the center of your Patrol Zone... The "southern ingress" of the Formosa Strait (modern map):

... but if you don't have an assignment there, it will do you no good to sit there for any period of time. TMO will give you the "star" and a blue circle drawing to signify your assigned area. RSRDC complicates matters, and takes the circles away, and you do have to pay attention and should write down your orders before you go, if you want the latitude and longitude coordinates and / or the details of the assignment. If you pull out the clipboard on your sub ( <F12> key... or <F8> key, can't remember which in TMO), there will be a synopsis on that, though it isn't always "enlightening", and is usually rather cryptic, you can click on the magnifying glass icon on that page, and it will "center" your view over that assignment's location...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-20, 02:29 PM   #12
Jetguy06
Seaman

Sorry for the confusion. Here's what I have from the Mission Objectives screen of the radio log:

"Conduct anti-shipping operations in the Japanese-Singapore shipping lanes."

In the Received Radio Messages tab, it says:

"Conduct anti-shipping operations in the Japanese-Singapore shipping lanes. Remain on station for 72hr."

There is no gold or silver objective star, so I don't know exactly where "on station" is to fulfill the 72hr timeline. I've been sailing around the southern part of the strait for far longer than 72hr, but I still haven't gotten a "completed" message. I'm completely in the blind about where my station is.
Old 03-19-20, 03:34 PM   #13
Jetguy06
Seaman

Also, the F8 clipboard is where is says, "Conduct... shipping lanes." There also is no magnifying glass icon next to that objective. It's the only one on the list that doesn't have one.
Old 03-19-20, 03:52 PM   #14
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Re: TMO, RSRD & OTC

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not concerned so much with leaving the patrol area. I'm trying to get the "Objective Complete" message that I can only get from staying in the patrol area. I just don't know exactly where the center of that 50 mile radius, 100 mile diameter circle is. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Here is my activated mod list:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Bigger Better Protractors
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
I to use TMO, RSRD with OTC. Your list is missing and does NOT include the "1­_TMO_25_small_patch" that should be 2nd in your list, nor do you show the patch for the OTC monitor resolution. Not that these omissions would cause your "objective Complete" problem.

Here is my Mod list for TMO, RSRD, OTC with 8.5x4.8 monitor resolution:
1­_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5 Mod
1­_TMO_25_small_patch MOD
RSRDC_TMO_v502 MOD
RSRDC_v5 Patch1 MOD
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction MOD for RSRD
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scope MOD for 8.5x4.8
Improved Ships Physics Mod v2.6 MOD for TMO & RSRD

Now, back to your "objective Complete" problem. Bring up the Captain's message board or list. It has 4 tabs along the bottom and the first tab on the left is Objectives. Click to open Objectives which lists in order all the objectives you've been given and their status. I believe (from memory) there's a little icon to the left of each objective that should take you to the location of the objective when you click on it. This is the first thing I'd suggest you check.

Next, go to the Japanese Convoy Routes map that I posted. The Japan - Singapore via Formosa is a long route that would be route # 33 and route #32 on the map; that probably sailed along the eastern side of Formosa then around the tip of Formosa.

I've had several objectives to this area, south of the tip of Formosa, which the objective directs one to the Bashi Channel and the Luzon Straits. Google this to see a map. But there's always a marker at the center of the objective. Also, there's a less intrusive marker if you wish to get rid of that rather larger star thing. It is:
901_strategic_map_symbols MOD

Don't feel like you must complete an objective before moving on because the reward for completion is probably far less than the reward for sinking ships. Go to a better hunting ground and sink ships.

Old 03-19-20, 03:58 PM   #15
Jetguy06
Seaman

Gotchya. I'll pm you some questions/concerns about those mods in a bit. I don't want to derail the thread. As for the icon on the clipboard with the objectives, there is no magnifying glass icon. It's the only objective on that list that doesn't have one. If I can't figure out how to complete the objective soon, I'll seriously consider abandoning it and returning to port.