SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the 2020 US Presidential Election?
Mighty Trumpster 30 54.55%
Good ol' Joe 20 36.36%
Ross Perot 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-20, 10:00 AM   #61
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

If someone says "hey, some voter fraud, blah blah," We can say, "Oh yeah? Where?" You, me, the govt, Tea Party, local steelworkers union, etc, anyone who wants to confirm can check it.

Election results would be error free, 100% verifiable.
What if dead people's votes get counted?
Like in the first stimulus checks got sent to a lot of dead people?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 08-03-20, 12:29 PM   #62
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
If it were up to me, the secret ballot voting thing would be tossed like the trash it is. Every qualified, legal citizen with a Social Security number could vote in person, by mail, online, whatever. The votes would be accessible online by anyone, any time. I make my choices, I own up to them. If I want to see my vote and make sure it is accurately recorded, I can just look it up. If I want to know how Tina Fey or Peyton Manning or Joe Blow voted, that's right there.

If someone says "hey, some voter fraud, blah blah," We can say, "Oh yeah? Where?" You, me, the govt, Tea Party, local steelworkers union, etc, anyone who wants to confirm can check it.

Your reply made me remember a discussion they have had in Sweden some years ago - digitize the election.

Here the idea was the same, a voter can track their vote until it have been counted or something like that.

Now to a different thing. A thing I keep on forgetting to ask.

This question is to you my American friends who dislike Trump.

Do you accept any approaches, even the illegals, as long it means Trump will be history in the White house ?

If there should be some of you who answer "Yes" I would be sad.
A President shall be removed by legal democratically methods.

Markus
Old 08-03-20, 04:14 PM   #63
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
What if dead people's votes get counted?
Like in the first stimulus checks got sent to a lot of dead people?
Dead people have SS# that show them as dead, right? Someone had to send a dead person's submission, it gets erased and an IT teams send the info to LE.

Same with stimulus checks, they have to be cashed or deposited, just see who did that and arrest them. There's always litter in the ditches that needs picking up.
Old 08-03-20, 04:33 PM   #64
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I agree your plan is good Neal, but what good will that do for November 3rd 2020 (three months from now)?

We (meaning the US Congress and the US Senate) have three more years to come up with an acceptable plan that will work.

Don't think a letter to your Congressman would be a waste of time, especially if you could get 100k men and women to agree.
or achievement

Old 08-03-20, 04:53 PM   #65
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
If it were up to me, the secret ballot voting thing would be tossed like the trash it is. Every qualified, legal citizen with a Social Security number could vote in person, by mail, online, whatever. The votes would be accessible online by anyone, any time. I make my choices, I own up to them. If I want to see my vote and make sure it is accurately recorded, I can just look it up. If I want to know how Tina Fey or Peyton Manning or Joe Blow voted, that's right there.

Neal that's a really bad idea!

The whole purpose for secret balloting is to eliminate voter intimidation. IE: "Vote for this candidate or we will break your legs" or "Vote for that candidate or maybe your kids will have an accident." or "You say that Neal voted for Trump? Fire him immediately." How are you going to prevent this when Doxxing has become a national pastime?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 08-03-20, 08:33 PM   #66
QuincyBad
Swabbie

Downloads: 157
Icon9 Trump Will win.

Hello!

I think trump will win because the last election everyone thought he would lose and we were saying that and also roasting him and making memes outta him, the same thing is here.. most likely the same thing is going to happen! Sorry but Its the sad truth.

Like I always say, YES MATEEE!!
Old 08-03-20, 09:01 PM   #67
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
A proposal

If August is correct in what he told me how this voting by mail is done in USA, wouldn't it then be a good time to chance it.

Your authorities could have a look at how it is done here in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. I presume it's the same in Finland.

Here it's 99-100 % impossible to cheat with these mail in ballot.

Markus
Those are small mostly small homogeneous nations. The US state system is rather complex with a lot of politically motivated and crooked people. Not too much of an issue overall, we assume it balances out, but in a close vote, it turns into a crap show of accusations from every angle. Many have done studies, it seems about 3% of mail gets lost, many elections are lost by those margins, but maybe it's balanced too.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 08-03-20, 09:22 PM   #68
August
Wayfaring Stranger

New York primary has been so screwed up by mail in voting that it's now weeks later and they still don't know who won.
Quote:

The Chaos in New York Is a Warning

Edward-Isaac Dovere July 24, 2020

The first large-scale test of mail-in voting in the pandemic has left one in five New Yorkers with their votes tossed out.

More than a month after New York’s June 23 primary elections, state election officials are still counting votes. In some legislative districts, they haven’t even started counting absentee votes. In the best-case scenario, election officials hope to declare winners by the first Tuesday in August—six weeks after Election Day. It might take a lot longer than that. Election officials in New York City have already invalidated upwards of 100,000 absentee ballots—about one of every five that were mailed in from the five boroughs. And furious candidates are already filing lawsuits charging discrimination and disenfranchisement.
The chaos in New York is a warning about November’s elections: Voting is being transformed by the pandemic. But no state has built new election infrastructure. No state has the time or the money to make sure vote-counting will go smoothly in November. And just about every state is about to be hit with a massive surge of absentee ballots.
“This is what happens,” a New York election official told me over the phone last week, “when you jury-rig a system that hasn’t been designed or implemented or tested before.”
In New York, the election infrastructure was overwhelmed by a massive increase in voters requesting absentee ballots rather than risking voting in person. Ballot-printing firms couldn’t keep up with demand, and the already rickety U.S. Postal Service didn’t move the ballots to and from voters quickly enough. Election officials, meanwhile, have seemed more interested in pointing fingers than in solving the problems.
“It’s a nightmare in an age of political paranoia,” says Ritchie Torres, a city councilman who is currently in the lead for an open congressional seat in the Bronx—the bluest district in the country—but who is still waiting on the final result.
Every election in the past few months has provided more evidence of a system that isn’t able to keep up with the coronavirus. Wisconsinites waited to vote for hours in the rain wearing makeshift masks. A police officer in Washington, D.C., reportedly tried to disperse a crowd waiting to vote, because the people in line were breaking a curfew established in response to the George Floyd protests. More people than ever are voting by mail, and election officials are invalidating more votes than ever because of technical errors. In Georgia, 943,000 primary voters turned in absentee ballots, a 2,500 percent increase from the 2016 primary.
New York’s June elections were primaries for local races—assembly and state Senate and Congress—with no partisan change in power at stake and a much smaller pool of voters than a general election. New York is a solidly Democratic state, with a Democratic governor, and all the officials who matter said they were committed to expanding voting by mail and other options. And it was a disaster.
Imagine what happens when the results matter more. Imagine it’s December 5, a month after the national elections in the fall. Is President Donald Trump ahead, or Joe Biden? Who’s ahead in close House races? Senate races? Local races for mayor or state legislature? Are votes still coming in? Are they being contested? Who’s making the decisions? Which courts are getting involved? Recounts, if they’re needed, would be in … January? February? When is the presidential election going to be called? When will every seat be filled for the next session of Congress?
Trump isn’t likely to patiently and calmly wait as more votes are counted—especially if he’s behind. In an interview on Fox News that aired on Sunday, he already refused to commit to accepting the results.
“In the world where the election tightens, if there are swing states for the Senate, or certainly the Electoral College, that have an absentee process that’s as poor as what happened here in New York City, it could be catastrophically bad for the future of American democracy,” says Brad Lander, a city councilman from Brooklyn who’s been trying to call attention to the disproportionately high rate of absentee ballots officials have invalidated in his borough.
Elections in New York have always taken place against a backdrop of corruption and incompetence, patronage and piddling, whereby democracy runs up against bureaucracy and usually gets a concussion. The New York City Board of Elections has a central office, but also five borough offices that run semi-independently, overseen by 10 commissioners appointed by the Republican and Democratic Party chairs of each borough. Forget about administering elections—officials can’t even place a letter of reprimand in an employee’s file without at least six votes from the board.
Read the rest here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...voting/614446/

Old 08-04-20, 09:06 AM   #69
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Neal that's a really bad idea!

The whole purpose for secret balloting is to eliminate voter intimidation. IE: "Vote for this candidate or we will break your legs" or "Vote for that candidate or maybe your kids will have an accident." or "You say that Neal voted for Trump? Fire him immediately." How are you going to prevent this when Doxxing has become a national pastime?

I'm pretty sure you know my answer to that. "Come at me, bro". I never had any problem with my identity being out there, I doxxed myself.
Old 08-06-20, 08:05 PM   #70
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you know my answer to that. "Come at me, bro". I never had any problem with my identity being out there, I doxxed myself.

You may not have a problem with it but you're a Texan used to fighting for survival against everything from outlaws to Texas itself. I swear just about everything down there bites, stings or poisons, mostly all three. Gentler folks might have more difficulty dealing with hordes of masked people showing up in the middle of the night trying to burn them out of their homes because they voted for the wrong candidate.

Old 08-07-20, 12:15 PM   #71
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

A thought which I have had since start of this thread.

Will there be a winner among those who have picked the right candidate and will this member have the bragging right the year to come ?

Markus
Old 08-07-20, 01:54 PM   #72
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
A thought which I have had since start of this thread.

Will there be a winner among those who have picked the right candidate and will this member have the bragging right the year to come ?

Markus
boils down to me or August
or achievement

Old 08-15-20, 09:52 AM   #73
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

So...are we going to talk about Trump sabotaging the post office to "win" the election?

I can see what will happen on election day: lots of late mail-in ballots. If Trump is ahead, the GOP will go to the Supreme Court to prevent counting the outstanding ballots. If behind, the opposite. And the Secretaries of State of GOP-controlled states will be doing unethical things, too.
Old 08-15-20, 12:48 PM   #74
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ One thing is certain though

This upcoming American Presidential Election will not be bored.
Not in a million year

Markus
Old 08-15-20, 03:13 PM   #75
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
^ One thing is certain though

This upcoming American Presidential Election will not be bored.
Not in a million year

Markus
Might not even be over in time for Thanksgiving
or achievement

Closed Thread