SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-20, 05:33 AM   #1846
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default One more thing...

Around Guadalcanal, anywhere within 20 -25 miles or so of Savo Island , the air traffic in early November (Nov 4-5-6) is so heavy it brings my fairly powerful system to its knees. There is no TC possible above 16x, and even that stutters greatly. It starts out slow with minimal traffic on 11/1, and over the next 2-3 days the traffic builds to an impossible point - probably realistic historically but does not work in the game.

The mountains at the NW end of Guadalcanal (is that Cape Esperance?) become littered with crashed planes (mostly US Wildcats and P40's, but some Japanese too) and survivors. Whatever is going on it makes it impossible to hang around and try to catch some of the "action" when the IJN TF's come down The Slot. Even sitting at 100' the air traffic makes enough noise to drop the TC to 8 anytime a plane flies near. On the surface at night there was still a great deal of air traffic, and no surface targets to be found. I finally had to just leave on 11/6 and seek action elsewhere.

Any chance you could lighten up on the planes in that area a bit? Thanks.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-20, 08:38 AM   #1847
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The planes on the sides of the hills, are those mostly American planes, by chance? The Japanese air traffic would come from further up The Slot, and should not be running into too many mountains, but might be. Do you know if your submarine was spotted by Japanese forces, either sea or air? I'm doing more testing in the area now, but I have not encountered a lot of air traffic. For it to be heavy, it would have to be either an AirBase that keeps detecting the enemy (which would include the CV, of course), or a set group that is looping, of which I cannot see in the campaign. There are those Solomon "Lifeguard" missions, but they should not be activating...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-20, 01:00 PM   #1848
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
A On the surface at night there was still a great deal of air traffic, and no surface targets to be found. I finally had to just leave on 11/6 and seek action elsewhere.

Any chance you could lighten up on the planes in that area a bit? Thanks.
on the subject of night air traffic, i implemented a fix for myself and eliminated night activity. the IJAF/IJN did not have night fighters in 1942-3 so i feel just fine in eliminating them in SH4.

create a separate folder under the MODS folder. let's call it 900-Air-Traffic. then create subfolders under that named Data and Cfg...in the style of JGSME.
Here is an example: \900-Air-Traffic\Data\Cfg
  1. now copy the AirStrike.cfg from \Data\Cfg to your new \900-Air-Traffic\Data\Cfg.
  2. Open Notepad (it comes with all Win10) and then open AirStrike.cfg from your new folder.
  3. change only this line to: Night Modifier=0.000001
  4. close and save.
  5. then use JGSME to apply this folder as the last one in your mod set.
a voila...no more night fighters.
when you want to encounter night fighters again, just reverse the JGSME process...and leave the mod available for future use.

EDITED: Corrected the folder sequence.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 09-19-20 at 05:33 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 11:44 AM   #1849
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

First off, kudos for the colorful sonar lines - greatly appreciated!

Second, the AI boost (both mods) is a very welcome improvement. Encountering a certain TF in mid-December 1941 is suddenly interesting again after the first salvo impacts. The following ships still slow down but are more evasive and the DDs are now a threat.

Oddities:
- For the first time in my entire SH4 career, the seas have been too rough for almost all gunnery action. One crab boat actually sank before we could reach it and the Large Tanker we encountered next had its port rail almost submerged. A single torpedo was enough to sink it. Conditions are similar on the second patrol, although with one calm period to demonstrate its not a permanent environmental change.

- Once in each patrol, the sub has stopped at a plotted turn at high TC for no obvious reason. I haven't seen that before.

- On one Single Mission and one career patrol, we were in extremely close range and taken under fire before the ships were sighted. I realize this may be related to the single sensor issues PB has mentioned before, although the enemy TF in the Single Mission didn't spot us early either as they didn't fire until we were within 1000 meters.

- CTDs are cropping up in the second patrol but in an entirely new manner: the game/replay loads, begins to play for a couple of seconds, then CTDs. Always before it simply fails to load. At this point I can only assume my recurrent CTD issues are Win10 Pro related.

Thanks to the entire team for your hard work.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 02:05 PM   #1850
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The planes on the sides of the hills, are those mostly American planes, by chance? The Japanese air traffic would come from further up The Slot, and should not be running into too many mountains, but might be. Do you know if your submarine was spotted by Japanese forces, either sea or air? I'm doing more testing in the area now, but I have not encountered a lot of air traffic. For it to be heavy, it would have to be either an AirBase that keeps detecting the enemy (which would include the CV, of course), or a set group that is looping, of which I cannot see in the campaign. There are those Solomon "Lifeguard" missions, but they should not be activating...
I do not believe I was ever spotted. I akways dive to 100' upon receiving a radar warning from the crew. Most of the crashed planes were US Wildcats, with some P40's in the mix, and just a few Japanese, Zeros I think. There were also numerous "survivors", all on land, some showing the pink flares. Japanese "survivors" tended to be on the South side of the West end of the island.

The traffic built slowly over 3 or 4 days, from a plane or two per hour in daylight only to a crescendo of traffic day and night in both directions (to and from Henderson in a NW and NNW direction). Even when at 100' depth, the volume of passing planes overhead was enough to drop the TC to 8x regularly. To get any TC at all (in hopes of getting past a "bubble" in the traffic volume) I had to go to almost 300'. But eventually I have to surface to clean the air, with a repeat of the traffic volume. I had to leave on November 6 to preserve my sanity, still without encountering any surface traffic, day or night. I had been on station just north of Savo Island and in the channel between there and Guadalcanal (is that Iron Bottom Sound?) since late September, hoping for some action. Never saw another ship, US or IJN. That also seems strange, given the historical events of the time.

Old 09-20-20, 02:09 PM   #1851
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
on the subject of night air traffic, i implemented a fix for myself and eliminated night activity. the IJAF/IJN did not have night fighters in 1942-3 so i feel just fine in eliminating them in SH4.

create a separate folder under the MODS folder. let's call it 900-Air-Traffic. then create subfolders under that named Data and Cfg...in the style of JGSME.
Here is an example: \900-Air-Traffic\Data\Cfg
  1. now copy the AirStrike.cfg from \Data\Cfg to your new \900-Air-Traffic\Data\Cfg.
  2. Open Notepad (it comes with all Win10) and then open AirStrike.cfg from your new folder.
  3. change only this line to: Night Modifier=0.000001
  4. close and save.
  5. then use JGSME to apply this folder as the last one in your mod set.
a voila...no more night fighters.
when you want to encounter night fighters again, just reverse the JGSME process...and leave the mod available for future use.

EDITED: Corrected the folder sequence.
Thank you for this suggestion. For right now I am going to stick to the standard FOTRSU to see what solution the team can embed in a new release. Life is complicated enough for me as it is!

Old 09-20-20, 02:22 PM   #1852
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

Version 1.24 available, see Page 1, first post.

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN

==================================================

Be sure and download DanielCoffey's BB Silhouettes mini-mod "999_DC_NBB_sil.7z", to be added last in your mod list

==================================================
Old 09-20-20, 03:08 PM   #1853
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Sigh. Just upgraded to a Balao. No deck gun. Didn't lose deck gun (or any crew) on old boat, it's that the new boat simply didn't come with a deck gun, and one can't be added.

Fixed in 1.24?

Maybe I should go back and refuse the boat upgrade.

Last edited by WH4K; 09-20-20 at 05:52 PM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 04:15 PM   #1854
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82
Default Batteries

I have noticed that sometimes after the complete repair of damaged batteries they do not recharge at 100%. Recharging usually stops at 99% or even lower. I don't know whether it's a FOTRSU related issue or not. Maybe it is intentional. I have also played other mods (RFB , TMO , OPMONSUN) and I can't recall any similar issue.

The 999_DC_NBB_sil mod is obligatory for v1.24?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 04:18 PM   #1855
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Sigh. Just upgraded to a Balao. No deck gun. Didn't lose deck gun (or any crew), it simply didn't come with a deck gun, and one can't be added.

Fixed in 1.24?
we do remind you that if you use vickers03's interior officer's country mod, that you must apply a patch to it, as found at https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...85#post2693885 - If you do not do this, you will be missing deck guns for any new boats...

Can you confirm that your using or not using this mod ?
Old 09-20-20, 05:44 PM   #1856
WH4K
Frogman

No, I only use FOTRS:UE by itself. No other mods.

Just for fun, I'm going to use JGSME to remove FOTRSU 1.21p, and install 1.24, then see what happens.

Making a backup of my savegames first.

BTW, 1.21p has been SUPER stable, remarkably so. I haven't had it CTD even once, not even in areas I was accustomed to expecting a CTD when trying to load a recent save.

Last edited by WH4K; 09-20-20 at 05:57 PM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 05:45 PM   #1857
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
I have noticed that sometimes after the complete repair of damaged batteries they do not recharge at 100%. Recharging usually stops at 99% or even lower. I don't know whether it's a FOTRSU related issue or not. Maybe it is intentional. I have also played other mods (RFB , TMO , OPMONSUN) and I can't recall any similar issue.
The 999_DC_NBB_sil mod is obligatory for v1.24?
I've seen that too. Sometimes I can only get to about 80% original capacity.

I figure it's battle damage & head home as soon as possible.
Old 09-20-20, 06:07 PM   #1858
WH4K
Frogman

OK, I tried removing FOTRSUE 1.21p, installed 1.24.

My old savegames still load OK. Same problem though. I return to base, get a new Gato-class sub, but it's missing a deck gun.

If I start a new career with a Gato (e.g. Pearl in the middle of 1943), it does come with a deck gun.
Old 09-20-20, 06:28 PM   #1859
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
OK, I tried removing FOTRSUE 1.21p, installed 1.24.

My old savegames still load OK. Same problem though. I return to base, get a new Gato-class sub, but it's missing a deck gun.

If I start a new career with a Gato (e.g. Pearl in the middle of 1943), it does come with a deck gun.
Righty, if your moving from different versions, I would always do a new install. Old saves are bad on updates, you would be surprised what your game may remember from the old version. any change to missions, ship models, and so on, may well cause unforseen problems. I highly recommend that everyone creates a new install and create a new save folder via MutliSH4.

===========================================

To all: You may feel it's not worth it, but the amount of trouble-shooting we have to do on each report does take time, unless the error rings a bell, this may take many hours away from us which we could be using elsewhere on the mod.

This also goes to ANY third party mods, please make sure they are 100% compatible with FotRSU, if your unsure and you install, you are on your own...

At this time, the following mods have our full support:

Ship Silhouettes - Modder's Resource by DanielCoffey

Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters by vickers03

we do remind you that if you use vickers03's Fleetboat Interior: Officers Quarters, that you must apply a patch to it, as found at https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...85#post2693885 - If you do not do this, you will be missing deck guns for any new boats...

We also have many individual modders who have and continue to help us...

Last edited by s7rikeback; 09-20-20 at 07:25 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 06:31 PM   #1860
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
I've seen that too. Sometimes I can only get to about 80% original capacity.

I figure it's battle damage & head home as soon as possible.
Best course of action. When at sea, you should never be able to do a complete repair on batteries... However, we need propbeanie to confirm either way...