Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-27-20, 09:53 AM   #1
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Default Best WW2 tank simulation.

It is not to stir up any heated up debates, but simply to hear from those of you who put some time into those simulations - which one is is currently the best and with most gamers activity on the forums and perhaps with the ability for modding.
Also, if that pick for the best one is for some title which is thing of the past and does not attract so much of the follow up these days, I would like still to hear your opinion about it. Thank you.

Old 11-12-20, 01:57 PM   #2
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Downloads: 19

My pick, currently they seem to work on something new.

Captain Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 10:06 PM   #3
Cajun Kaleun
Seaman

Downloads: 1

I would agree with Reyes about Steel Fury. Panzer Elite is older but also really good modded. For modern nothing beats Steel Beasts Pro PE It is a joy fighting in an Abrams, Leopards, or a T-72. It is legit expensive though.

Last edited by Cajun Kaleun; 11-12-20 at 11:10 PM.
Cajun Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-20, 06:18 AM   #4
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Kaleun View Post
I would agree with Reyes about Steel Fury. Panzer Elite is older but also really good modded. For modern nothing beats Steel Beasts Pro PE It is a joy fighting in an Abrams, Leopards, or a T-72. It is legit expensive though.
That is exactly the ones I would recommend aswell.

IL2 Tank Crew might be worth keeping an eye on and Panzer Elite holds up quite well to this very day. Note the menu sections became truncated during stream but with the usual settings you will see them fullscreen.

Last edited by Captain Reyes; 11-15-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 06:47 AM   #5
Polak2
Weps

Quote:
My pick, currently they seem to work on something new.
After getting a little more familiar with all WW2 tank simulations currently available (TC only by watching videos) I would agree that

Steel Furry is the most satisfying title out there. Somehow is rather very unintuitive and hard to remember keystrokes, but this is maybe due to the lack of practice on my end. I am also not the biggest fan of the environment (trees) which to me looks a little strange.

Unfortunately, I cannot say this about Panzer Elite, which despite very significant and loyal modders' following never really managed to appeal to me as the greatest.

T34vs.Tiger possibly with great potentials, but never exploited.

Tank Crew (TC) the most beautiful and the newest at the present, but I have read many critical comments about apparent shortcomings and do not want to be a beta tester after paying a premium price to enter the club. This title has a great future, but it needs sufficient and adequate development.

Kind of surprising to me was how good, interesting, and engaging as far as gameplay is concerned Combat Missionx1 turned out to be. Especially I am referring here to CMBB (Barbarossa to Berlin) which now is very cheap (GOG) and has amazingly well-developed elements of tactics and coordination with other battlefield forces like infantry, artillery, and what have you. Yes, this title does not provide any inside view from the tank neither it has the ability to aim and shoot so it really cannot be compared fairly to other contenders in this group, but still there is a lot there to have a W2 tank fun around.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 12:13 PM   #6
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Iron Task Mod presentation:

Last edited by Captain Reyes; 11-22-20 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-23-20, 06:07 PM   #7
Polak2
Weps

In the recent few days, the Tank Crew forum has quite a robust discussion about the current status of TC.
Here:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...isappointment/

The title of the thread more or less sums up what are the prevailing sentiments.

Major complaints are about poor AI and lack of content. Comparisons are drawn with Panzer Elite and Tiger vs. T34. Not sure why Steel Fury is not mentioned more often, but this is maybe because the talk is about content, continuity between scenarios, and some sort of campaign.

I cannot comment on any of the merits of those complaints, but having briefly tried most of the available WW2 tank sims I was hoping for the continuation and more vigorous development of TC as it seems to me that this som has the greatest potential. I hope the TC developers will continue making TC better.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 04:01 PM   #8
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
In the recent few days, the Tank Crew forum has quite a robust discussion about the current status of TC.
Here:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...isappointment/

The title of the thread more or less sums up what are the prevailing sentiments.

Major complaints are about poor AI and lack of content. Comparisons are drawn with Panzer Elite and Tiger vs. T34. Not sure why Steel Fury is not mentioned more often, but this is maybe because the talk is about content, continuity between scenarios, and some sort of campaign.

I cannot comment on any of the merits of those complaints, but having briefly tried most of the available WW2 tank sims I was hoping for the continuation and more vigorous development of TC as it seems to me that this som has the greatest potential. I hope the TC developers will continue making TC better.
I am also interested in TC. Would like to get it but the somewhat steep price is holding me back currently
Old 12-08-20, 02:24 AM   #9
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

tc was a capricious experiment. they should make a dedicated land based platform and an aerial platform, not combine them. specificity is so important in choosing an engine. the ground war aspect is just terrible when they implement it on a game engine designed for aerial combat.
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 09:25 PM   #10
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachanscom View Post
tc was a capricious experiment. they should make a dedicated land based platform and an aerial platform, not combine them. specificity is so important in choosing an engine. the ground war aspect is just terrible when they implement it on a game engine designed for aerial combat.
So you don´t think TC is a good investment?
Old 12-16-20, 10:09 AM   #11
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Today, Dec 16th, 76 years ago marks the beginning of the "Battle of the Bulge".

Time for a quick round of PE. One of the things I like about PE is the player's ability to direct , or even jump into each tank in the platoon and use the entire platoon as a tactical maneuver element.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote