Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-20, 10:21 AM   #1
bigbear
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Hi everyone!

I am new to SubSim and am trying to get back into sub sims after retiring a few months ago ending a career in software development.

I purchased SH3 years ago on disk, but decided to buy it again recently in case it changed. I was advised in my welcome email to get WolfPack, but certain negative reviews convinced me that it wasn't the way to go. Right after downloading SH3, it appeared that SH5 was a better game, but unfortunately, I cannot make sense of what mods to get, so I need some advice here. It appears that I will need to pay many hundreds of dollars for them all, so if anyone can assist in what direction to take, I would appreciate it.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 10:25 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

bigbear! WOLFPACK still in developement and getting good. All games have issues, incl Aces of the Deep(still the best) Besides as a fellow retiree! we have an obligation to support the economy during lockdown!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 02:33 PM   #3
bigbear
Watch

Aces of the Deep is still the best? Gosh, I had forgotten all about that one! I think I still have it somewhere and I see there is an important mod for it. Why is it better than SH3 or 5?

As for WolfPack, I have been spending too much on DCS unfinished modules in the hope they will have things that are playable. Seven years later, still waiting, so I was kind of hoping to have something that is actually finished to be able to play right now.
Old 07-21-20, 05:13 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

SH3 - any of the major mods in the SH3 forum here will work, and they are free.

SH5 - TWoS is the mod, and it is free.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 03:54 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Call me biased but imho SH3/GWX is by far the most popular and the most immersive thus far

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 04:35 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Aces of the Deep is still the best? Gosh, I had forgotten all about that one! I think I still have it somewhere and I see there is an important mod for it. Why is it better than SH3 or 5?

As for WolfPack, I have been spending too much on DCS unfinished modules in the hope they will have things that are playable. Seven years later, still waiting, so I was kind of hoping to have something that is actually finished to be able to play right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONKEL NEAL'S SIG
The first truly good subsim was Aces of the Deep. Then there was Silent Hunter III. Now Subsim presents: Wolfpack.
Good hunting and don't forget to close the hatch!
's fearless leader, ONKEL'S sig says it all; plus he posts it in a great color!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-20, 06:02 AM   #7
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim bigbear.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 07:02 PM   #8
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Welcome Aboard!

SH3 - any of the major mods in the SH3 forum here will work, and they are free.

SH5 - TWoS is the mod, and it is free.

Well HW3, as I see Aces of the Deep mentioned by others, it does appear a bit too primitive for me.

As for SH5, I spent hours installing and re-installing SH5 and TWoS, but TWoS seems to have a bug in it where it messes up the tools display on the map. Additionally, when I added all the various mods in TWos JSGME, that caused the rudder pop-up to stop displaying when you click on the bearing toolbar dial in the lower left of the screen.

I really wanted to play SH5 because it appears that it has the best mods, but I may be wrong. I hate to give up on it already, but I am thinking that may be the best solution. Bummer. I expect that nobody is really able to make sense of all the mods in TWoS expansion pack and how they might be corrupting things.

So many people still seem to be playing SH3, however. Is there some advantage to that game or is it all buggy as well?

Of course, after being away from sub sims for a bunch of years, I was hoping there would be an even better sub game out, but things just don't look promising. Even the Wolfpack game seems a long way from completion based on reviews.
Old 07-23-20, 07:12 PM   #9
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
's fearless leader, ONKEL'S sig says it all; plus he posts it in a great color!

Hi Aktungbby, I am getting pretty frustrated already. It does appear that Wolfpack isn't really ready for serious gaming yet and I have experienced all sorts of problems with the SH5 TWoS expansion pack where things are getting corrupted. Kind of breaks my heart after spending a bunch of hours just trying to get it to work. I was so looking forward to SH5!

What are your opinions on SH3? SH5 seems so much better, but since it is too buggy, I guess that only leaves SH3 for me. But I don't really want to waste more hours trying to get the GWX3 mod to work (assuming that is the one to get) if the game itself isn't worth it. So any thoughts you have on this are appreciated!
Old 07-23-20, 07:32 PM   #10
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Call me biased but imho SH3/GWX is by far the most popular and the most immersive thus far

Welcome to SubSim
Hi Jimbuna, if you see my previous two comments here, you can see that I have given up with SH5 after spending too many hours installing it only to find that the TWoS has all sorts of bugs in it making it unplayable.

I used to play SH3 years ago. Is the GWX mod buggy also? I am just so frustrated right now with all this that I just don't see myself wanting to risk going down another dead-end.

I really need the honest advice of an experienced sub simmer here.
Old 07-24-20, 03:59 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Hi Jimbuna, if you see my previous two comments here, you can see that I have given up with SH5 after spending too many hours installing it only to find that the TWoS has all sorts of bugs in it making it unplayable.

I used to play SH3 years ago. Is the GWX mod buggy also? I am just so frustrated right now with all this that I just don't see myself wanting to risk going down another dead-end.

I really need the honest advice of an experienced sub simmer here.
I try not to use the word 'buggy' because their are often underlying reasons why peoples installations fail to work as intended (usually additional minor mods).

I think you'll find GWX relatively trouble free and I'm currently running it with almost twenty small mods added in.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 08:54 AM   #12
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I try not to use the word 'buggy' because their are often underlying reasons why peoples installations fail to work as intended (usually additional minor mods).

I think you'll find GWX relatively trouble free and I'm currently running it with almost twenty small mods added in.
Thanks for your suggestion about GWX, Jimbuna. I kind of dread spending the hours trying to apply GWX to SH3 and encountering the same problems as those encountered with SH5 and TWoS, so I hope the TWoS can be fixed soon. But again, I still have no idea whether SH3 or SH5 is better.

I posted the problems about the SH5 expansion mod on the download thread for it. I don't know if it is still being supported so I am curious to see if the person/people behind it respond. SH5 with TWoS looked like what I wanted. I am not optimistic about any help getting it working which is a real pity.

As for whether the TWoS is "buggy" or not, I should point out that the problems I encounter are based on the TWoS mod applied BEFORE any of the mods are applied in the JSGME. So whether it is a bug in TWoS or some internal incompatibility with the Uplay SH3 version, the result is that it makes the TWoS mod unusable.
Old 07-24-20, 07:58 PM   #13
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Welcome aboard! Enjoy SUBSIM!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 05:21 PM   #14
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Welcome to Subsim, buddy
Old 07-25-20, 05:26 PM   #15
bigbear
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Welcome aboard! Enjoy SUBSIM!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I probably would, Fitzcarraldo, but since I can't get TWoS or LSH3 to work, I am treading water and sinking fast. I had just come here a few days ago hoping to play a good sub sim and it looks like the mods aren't supported anymore. There are several supermods, but I don't understand what prerequisites are required or what they really do, so I have a bad feeling that any sub sims that actually work will probably come out after I am in hospice care.