SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-22, 08:34 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default [REQ] SB2C skins

Just reaching out to our artists in the community...wondering if could get a appropriate skin for the US Dive Bomber, which in TMO fills in for the SB2C Helldiver (look similar). Problem is the default skin is that of the early war, grey with early war insignia. Wondering if someone would make skin for the SB2C...the blue paint scheme with the mid late war "stars and bars" insignia.

Relatively minor thing yet is a bit of a immersion killer to see the early war paint scheme and insignia flying around the Philippines in October 1944 or off Japan in 1945.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 01-09-22 at 09:21 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 08:50 PM   #2
Peter Lynn
Swabbie

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Fully agree Bubblehead; the SB2C stand ins appear to be Brewster Bermudas, which were an ill starred (pun) candidate for the same job as the Helldiver. Really appreciate your contributions SH, thank you!
Peter Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 09:37 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lynn View Post
Fully agree Bubblehead; the SB2C stand ins appear to be Brewster Bermudas, which were an ill starred (pun) candidate for the same job as the Helldiver. Really appreciate your contributions SH, thank you!

Yes, they resemble the Brewster SB2A "Buccaneer ", which a first glance does resemble a Helldiver in some ways. With appropriate paint scheme, they will be decent stand ins for the Helldiver until someone creates one, if ever. The US Torpedo bomber that is native to SH4 resembles a TBD Devastator, renamed it as such in the roster so is a decent fill in. Have a SBD now so , just need the dive bomber to have proper paint scheme to fill in for the Helldiver. We have nearly every plane needed now, except B-29 but I understand that is in progress.
Old 01-10-22, 01:11 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Reported,

off thread topic.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 01:16 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
off thread topic.

Given he jut joined and first post, I would be money the link is a scam. Had a lot of suspicious links posted as of late.
Old 01-10-22, 01:29 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: Reported...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikmapp View Post
Redacted...Redacted is a website that allows playing Minecraft games with other players with of course devices other than theirs. This website allows you to play Minecraft online with your friends Redacted...Redacted

No good spam rat.!.!.!

M. M.
Old 01-10-22, 07:44 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thanks guys, the offender has been sent back to Hyderabad

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 12:17 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Just reaching out to our artists in the community...wondering if could get a appropriate skin for the US Dive Bomber, which in TMO fills in for the SB2C Helldiver (look similar). Problem is the default skin is that of the early war, grey with early war insignia. Wondering if someone would make skin for the SB2C...the blue paint scheme with the mid late war "stars and bars" insignia.

Relatively minor thing yet is a bit of a immersion killer to see the early war paint scheme and insignia flying around the Philippines in October 1944 or off Japan in 1945.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lynn View Post
Quote:
Yes, they resemble the Brewster SB2A "Buccaneer ", which a first glance does resemble a Helldiver in some ways. With appropriate paint scheme, they will be decent stand ins for the Helldiver until someone creates one, if ever. The US Torpedo bomber that is native to SH4 resembles a TBD Devastator, renamed it as such in the roster so is a decent fill in. Have a SBD now so , just need the dive bomber to have proper paint scheme to fill in for the Helldiver. We have nearly every plane needed now, except B-29 but I understand that is in progress.
I beg to differ with you guys. I think the game's USDiveBomber isn't half-bad as the SBD2 Dauntless. My evidence:

The Helldiver:

Looks more like a Kingfisher with a bigger engine and the wings back a bit, to me

Lotsa glass to cook the occupants in the cockpit

The "Bermuda"

The "Buccaneer"

Basically the same plane for the UK and the US versions. They were only manufactured 1942-1944. There had to be a reason for that...

... and the graceful Dauntless

and in FotRSU:

The Dauntless could do the 80 degree dives and not have to worry about its wings ripping off when trying to pull-out after the bomb release...

The game's model might not have the wing angle quite right, and no hare brakes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 04:57 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
jut joined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
spam rat.!.!.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Thanks guys, the offender has been sent back to Hyderabad
You're wecome! I'm betting the jutjoined spamrat had no amulets in his linen wrappings en route to his native Raj!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-10-22, 06:45 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
You're wecome! I'm betting the jutjoined spamrat had no amulets in his linen wrappings en route to his native Raj!
typos "jut" happen
Old 01-10-22, 07:05 PM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I beg to differ with you guys. I think the game's USDiveBomber isn't half-bad as the SBD2 Dauntless. My evidence:

The Helldiver:

Looks more like a Kingfisher with a bigger engine and the wings back a bit, to me

Lotsa glass to cook the occupants in the cockpit

The "Bermuda"

The "Buccaneer"

Basically the same plane for the UK and the US versions. They were only manufactured 1942-1944. There had to be a reason for that...

... and the graceful Dauntless

and in FotRSU:

The Dauntless could do the 80 degree dives and not have to worry about its wings ripping off when trying to pull-out after the bomb release...

The game's model might not have the wing angle quite right, and no hare brakes...

Thanks for the pictures.

I read the Buccaneer/Bermuda was underpowered and did not handle well, was also told this by someone who flew it briefly during the war. There was one hanging from the ceiling at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola at one point and the tour guide (who flew Helldivers most of the war) stated flew the Buccaneer in training and he had no kind words about the aircraft. Funny though, he spoke highly of the Helldiver. I have always disliked the bad or mixed rep the SB2C gets, believe the earlier models, first ones to see action had problems but it grew into a excellent aircraft.

The Dauntless in the sim is not perfect but it at least resembles the SBD.
Old 01-11-22, 12:45 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
typos "jut" happen
In which case, the 1916 climactic WWI battle of Justland jut happened too!