SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-08, 08:29 AM   #421
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Civil War Guns: The complete story of Federal and Confederate small arms

by William B. Edwards
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 08:42 AM   #422
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

"D-Day"
by Stephen Ambrose

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 03:05 PM   #423
wireman
Sparky

Peter Charlie : the cruise of the PC 477
by Art Bell
Old 12-03-08, 04:59 AM   #424
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

I've been in a bit of a crime novel mood lately, and after starting on a third reading of "L.A. Confidential", I felt bland, so went to a local bookstore that specializes in crime novels to expand the library a bit.

Currently on "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler, starring private d!ck Phillip Marlowe. A bit of a slow go up to the point I'm at now (100 or so pages), but I really only have time to read a chapter at a time, being interrupted by the crap of the day; overall, it's keeping my interest. It's been years since I've read Chandler, so it's great to be back chasing down leads.

And just finished "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, starring the beloved Miami blood splatter analyst/serial killer Dexter Morgan. As a fan of the show "Dexter", this was an extremely fast read for me; before I knew it, I had already read more than half of the book, and so finished it off before I left for the next day's business. A very brisk read that sated the whims of my dark passenger, albiet briefly.

Next on the list will probably be a couple Agatha Christie whodunits: "4:50 from Paddington" and "A Murder is Announced". Might even re-read "A Carribean Mystery", which I've been borrowing from my hometown library since I was nine-years old (or fifteen years if you prefer).

By the way, "L.A. Confidential" is a damn good jaunt if you're looking for something from the depraved (and I do mean "depraved", hepcats) mind of Jimmy Elroy; amazingly, it's a hair under 500 pages using a massively clipped writing style (i.e., he won't be describing every pebble on the street along with the leaves on the trees like some authors). If you've ever wondered how to use semicolons, this one'll show ya. An excerpt from page numero uno to whet your whistle:

"An abandoned auto court in the San Berdoo foothills; Buzz Meeks checked in with ninety-four thousand dollars, eighteen pounds of high-grade heroin, a 10-gauge pump, a .38 special, a .45 automatic and a switchblade he'd bought off a pachuco at the border--right before he spotted the car parked across the line: Mickey Cohen goons in an LAPD unmarked, Tijuana cops standing by to bookjack a piece of his goodies, dump his body in the San Ysidro River.

"He'd been running a week; he'd spent fifty-six grand staying alive: cars, hideouts at four and five thousand a night--risk rates--the innkeepers knew Mickey C. was after him for heisting his dope summit and his woman, the L.A. Police wanted him for killing one of their own...."

Happy reading, all, whatever you desire
Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 02:38 PM   #425
wireman
Sparky

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Cnac-Flet...8592881&sr=1-1
Old 12-06-08, 03:46 PM   #426
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye
I've been in a bit of a crime novel mood lately, and after starting on a third reading of "L.A. Confidential", I felt bland, so went to a local bookstore that specializes in crime novels to expand the library a bit.

Currently on "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler, starring private d!ck Phillip Marlowe. A bit of a slow go up to the point I'm at now (100 or so pages), but I really only have time to read a chapter at a time, being interrupted by the crap of the day; overall, it's keeping my interest. It's been years since I've read Chandler, so it's great to be back chasing down leads.

And just finished "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, starring the beloved Miami blood splatter analyst/serial killer Dexter Morgan. As a fan of the show "Dexter", this was an extremely fast read for me; before I knew it, I had already read more than half of the book, and so finished it off before I left for the next day's business. A very brisk read that sated the whims of my dark passenger, albiet briefly.

Next on the list will probably be a couple Agatha Christie whodunits: "4:50 from Paddington" and "A Murder is Announced". Might even re-read "A Carribean Mystery", which I've been borrowing from my hometown library since I was nine-years old (or fifteen years if you prefer).

By the way, "L.A. Confidential" is a damn good jaunt if you're looking for something from the depraved (and I do mean "depraved", hepcats) mind of Jimmy Elroy; amazingly, it's a hair under 500 pages using a massively clipped writing style (i.e., he won't be describing every pebble on the street along with the leaves on the trees like some authors). If you've ever wondered how to use semicolons, this one'll show ya. An excerpt from page numero uno to whet your whistle:

"An abandoned auto court in the San Berdoo foothills; Buzz Meeks checked in with ninety-four thousand dollars, eighteen pounds of high-grade heroin, a 10-gauge pump, a .38 special, a .45 automatic and a switchblade he'd bought off a pachuco at the border--right before he spotted the car parked across the line: Mickey Cohen goons in an LAPD unmarked, Tijuana cops standing by to bookjack a piece of his goodies, dump his body in the San Ysidro River.

"He'd been running a week; he'd spent fifty-six grand staying alive: cars, hideouts at four and five thousand a night--risk rates--the innkeepers knew Mickey C. was after him for heisting his dope summit and his woman, the L.A. Police wanted him for killing one of their own...."

Happy reading, all, whatever you desire
You've also read The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere and White Jazz, right?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 12:04 AM   #427
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Tf has 2 new books...

1 German battleships

2 The two ocean war.
http://books.google.com/books?id=io9...+two+ocean+war
Old 12-08-08, 05:56 PM   #428
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I reported some months ago that I was reading Morison's The European Discovery Of America. I got all my stuff out of storage last week, and discovered that I actually own a copy!:rotfl:

Purchased it at a library sale several years ago, and forgot I even had it.

@ TF: The Two-Ocean War is a (very) condensed version of Morison's History Of United States Naval Operations In World War Two. If you ever have the money, and the inclination, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 12-08-08 at 05:58 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:42 PM   #429
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye
I remember reading 'Farewell, My Lovely' and coming to the realization that the reason most first person grizzled detective novels fall flat is that they're trying to sound like Chandler...and no one can.
Old 12-09-08, 09:41 AM   #430
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152

Ha! I am reading long, large and untidy and oft repeated sections of text written on CP/M on 5.25 floppies from a TRS 80, which I have scanned with Anadisk and then dumped on to my hard drive, so I can tidy them up into coherent reading material and present them in Word format to the wife of the author, who wrote them in his early years.

He died and she doesn't want to lose his work (a number of books and loads of other stuff...). I have been doing it on and off for the last two years... only a hundred flops left to work on....(sigh)

no time to read proper books...

does that count?
Old 12-09-08, 06:00 PM   #431
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'd say that very much counts. Reading unpublished books that no one else has, or can, and doing good work at the same time.

Good for you!
Old 12-09-08, 08:07 PM   #432
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie
You've also read The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere and White Jazz, right?
No, not yet, but I figure I'll be getting "The Big Nowhere" and "White Jazz" at some point. Might as well have the trio, right?

"The Black Dahlia" I'm not so sure if I'm really interested; saw the crappy (IMHO) movie, and have seen a few documentaries including an especially creepy Elroy one, and think I have the gist. So I dunno, a maybe/maybe not thing for me.
Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 08:13 PM   #433
LtAirForce
Watch

"Red Storm Rising" By Tom Clancy

I love Clancy books.....Red October is one of my favorites

LTAF
LtAirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 08:24 PM   #434
SandyCaesar
Chief

Downloads: 0

Best Clancy ones: Hunt, Storm, Danger, Remorse. And Debt to some extent, too.

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 08:30 PM   #435
LtAirForce
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCaesar
Best Clancy ones: Hunt, Storm, Danger, Remorse. And Debt to some extent, too.
I've read Hunt, Danger, Patriot Games, and Teeth of the Tiger. My first First person shooter was Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon. The origonal, not the new "advanced warfighter". First played it when I was 6 . Gave me nightmares:rotfl: . Still play it today (minus said nightmares).
LtAirForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books