SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-21, 09:22 AM   #1
kulik242
Nub

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Barotrauma

Hello,
I'd like to introduce you to a game I've recently found and fell in love with.

Barotrauma is a 2D multiplayer resource management game currently in development by Undertow Games and FakeFish. The game was released for free as a pre-alpha version on July 31st 2015, and has received regular updates since then. An Early Access commercial release was launched on June 5th 2019 on Steam.

Steam Trailer:

The last update "Uncharted Depths" trailer:

Plot:
Barotrauma's time period takes place several hundred years in the future, during an era where humanity is technologically advanced enough to achieve manned interplanetary space travel. The setting of the game is on Europa, one of Jupiter’s moons, which was colonized during the space age. Due to the surface of the planet being too irradiated for survival, colonies and outposts have been established under the layer of ice covering the surface of the moon. Beneath the ice layer is a vast ocean used as a transport network between colonies and as a source for natural resources. The ocean also allowed for the creation of transportation shafts which interconnect the colonies throughout the moon. The ocean itself is inhabited by a number of aquatic creatures, as well as natural forming cave systems.

Objective:
The primary goal in Barotrauma's Campaign mode is to maintain a Submarine and navigate it through the depths of Europa. Players can individually control any crew member on board and hire new ones in Outposts; all crew members has a specific Job which influences what Skills the character excels at. After a destination has been selected upon leaving an outpost, the submarine will have to steer through a randomly generated level to reach the next outpost or location. Once out in the ocean, the submarine and its crew will be under constant threat from the local aquatic Creatures, which attacks may breach the hull, causing floods and potentially letting them enter the ship and attack the crew. Fixing leaks and damaged Installations is crucial to survival throughout levels. To defend themselves, crew members can access the submarine's weaponry, consisting of Coilguns,Railguns, Depth Charges and the Electrical Discharge Coil. In the event of a break-in, or when venturing outside the submarine with a Diving Suit, a variety of handheld Weapons are at their disposal. Resources such as minerals and plants can be harvested from the cave walls, and may later be processed in Fabricators and Deconstructors to craft a wide variety of Items.

Submarine editor:
The Submarine Editor is a tool that can be used to expand the core game by creating your own submarines, wrecks and outposts. The process of building a fully playable submarine or functional monster can be quite involved.

Game modes:

Campaign - This is the only Game Mode available in both Singleplayer Campaign and Multiplayer. Embark on a journey through the depths of Europa. Travel from location to location, complete missions to earn money for supplies, discover new biomes—and perhaps eventually uncover the secrets of Europa.

Sandbox - As the description suggests, there are no rules, no Missions, and no rewards in this Game Mode. The crew is free to do whatever they want in a random level seed, either for the purpose of learning the basics of the game or just for fun. The round ends when the crew reaches the end of the level or everyone in the crew has perished. It is exclusive to Multiplayer.

Mission - The crew must work together to complete a single mission, such as retrieving an artifact from alien ruins, salvaging a less fortunate submarine wreck, restore a flooded outpost, clearing a nests of monsters or killing a creature that's terrorizing nearby outposts.

Traitors - Traitors is a special function in Multiplayer. When enabled, depending on the Traitors setting, random players will be selected as the Traitors. They will be tasked with various objectives a few minutes after the game starts. Usually, Traitors start with searching for a specific item in a vent, locker or a supply cabinet. Once the item is obtained, the Traitors will be given further instructions. These instructions could be to sabotage specific installations, assassinate a specific crew member, and more.

Today, the last day of Steam winter sale is 50% off. Hope to see you in game.
kulik242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 10:14 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Interesting concept. German Steam site also says the feedback is "very positive". But coop-focussed (MP), it seems.
Old 01-05-21, 10:42 AM   #3
kulik242
Nub

Downloads: 6

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Interesting concept. German Steam site also says the feedback is "very positive". But coop-focussed (MP), it seems.
There are two misconceptions about the game.

1. Singleplayer sucks because of poor bot AI. - this isn't true, the Bots are very capable of dealing with emergencies and performing general maintenance of the submarine. It takes getting used to, but once you know how to issue them orders and switch between them (you can switch and control them), you can focuss on the main task ahead. Granted, the game gets much slower than MP, but that just means you need to bring a little bit more reactor fuel.

2. MP is full of griefers and it is hard to find a game- this is true if you play on servers with high player count and respawns enabled. This game really shines when you play with 2-6 people, the teamwork gets much more personal. If you play with 2 people add 2-3 bots. As fro how hard it is to find a game, I always host my server server and I usually get a game going within 5 minutes.

If anyone gets interested in the game, just play throu the tutorials to learn the basics (its really just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much depth to most of mechanics in the game), and I host a server and help you to get going.

BTW, this is me calmly smoking my pipe as both reactors and batteries run out of power, the ballast pumps stop and my boat fills with water:

This is me not so calm after two more minutes drawing last breaths from the ceiling:

Last edited by kulik242; 01-05-21 at 11:50 AM.
kulik242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-21, 12:54 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

kulik242!: Jeeze! Dystopian dwelling in submarines on Europa!! Thanks!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 06:03 PM   #5
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Yes, Barotrauma definitely gets my vote too, havent played it a lot yet but the few hours I put into it so far have been a lot of fun.