SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-20, 10:28 AM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default DC Run Aground Glitch in Career?

Greetings,
I recently started playing Destroyer Command again. I patched it to 1.1 and added several mods and downloads for the game found in the DOWNLOADS section here at SUBSIM. I did, however, find a glitch of sorts. During Career mode ATLANTIC, the first scenario of Drumbeat, I found that more often than not, my Destroyer runs aground, even with Run Aground shut off in the Realism settings before the game starts, as I'm trying to exit Norfolk Harbor at the start of the scenario. Has anyone else who plays the game, noticed this? Is there a fix? Thank You!
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-20, 07:07 PM   #2
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Hi,

It's been a few years since I've played DC. I do remember that while practicing some navigation along the East Coast that I sometimes ran aground and that the maps near the coast were not always accurate. I was just having some fun so it was no big deal.

Are you using any time compression when you run aground? I recall that time compression in DC could cause a lag in warnings for things like enemy aircraft or enemy subs.

-Tim
Old 08-30-20, 12:02 AM   #3
tmccarthy
Admiral

I made a run out of Norfolk in Drumbeat. I got a shallow water warning turning east after leaving the harbor but did not run aground. I believe this is my patch order if that helps.

shallow water
Old 09-03-20, 07:11 AM   #4
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

I just retried campaign mission AC01 and didn't seem to have the problem . That mission starts you in a narrow area of the Elizabeth channel roughy in the vicinity of the actual naval shipyard. I plotted waypoints out to James/ Hampton Roads then to Chesapeake Bay.

FYI: Starting locations (Longitude & Latitude out to 6 decimal places) can be changed by editing the ACO1 file. Also base locations can be edited in the bases.ini . The maps themselves are generally pretty accurate. I use the same patches as tmccarthy with additional mods of my own.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 08:51 AM   #5
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

I forgot to mention that the CIC/ F2 map, does not always jive with DC's 3D virtual world. For example: From the deck of your destroyer, you may be in the water but the CIC map shows your position on land. This happens occasionally near land.

If I recall correctly, DC's virtual world is based on the NOAA and USGS elevation databases. The virtual world is more accurate than the CIC map.. If you plot or place a unit at the real world long/lat coords (to 6 decimal places) that's where you will be in the DC virtual world.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 02:17 PM   #6
tmccarthy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox165 View Post
I forgot to mention that the CIC/ F2 map, does not always jive with DC's 3D virtual world. For example: From the deck of your destroyer, you may be in the water but the CIC map shows your position on land. This happens occasionally near land.

If I recall correctly, DC's virtual world is based on the NOAA and USGS elevation databases. The virtual world is more accurate than the CIC map.. If you plot or place a unit at the real world long/lat coords (to 6 decimal places) that's where you will be in the DC virtual world.
Yes, my statement about the maps not being accurate is not true and incomplete. The maps are plenty accurate for sim play. I was thinking of the times I was practicing navigation thru coastal bays and channels and experienced some map "anomalies" and ran aground close to shore. Which is a minor note and not really an issue.