SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-12, 03:38 AM   #61
ADMIRALTIA
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
We all should post comments on their facebook page stating:
- instead of fixing SH5 you did this?
- what an insult to the Silent Hunter series
- Why don't you fix what you broke (SH5) before creating another disaster
- Don't you have enough kiddies playing your games? You want more?
- How do I play when my internet is down?
- How long do we have to wait before the first patch comes out?
- Are there plans to finish the game or leave it in an unfinished state?
- Does the DRM restrict it to IE only?
- Is there an offline mode so we can play it on our tablet PCs?

Seriously, we should bombard their facebook page with negative comments

What a complete insult to the series...
Its more than an insult its a disgrace an outrage a great shame to us all.

Edit for some reason I broke into song

Person 1: I can see whats happening
Person 2: What?
Person 1: And They don't have a clue
Person 2: Who?
Person 1: They'll fall bankrupt and here's the bottom line the new game is doomed to fail
Ze sweet caress of money
There's magic everywhere
And with all this money in the atmosphere disasters in the air

Ring a bell anyone

Last edited by ADMIRALTIA; 04-27-12 at 04:29 AM.
ADMIRALTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 04:10 AM   #62
Schunken
Medic

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default Like MS do with FSX...

It semms to be a generally tendence in the game industry...

After FS X Microsoft now release "Microsoft Flight" where you pay 50$ for only Hawaian Islands and 5 planes....

Also they release three warbirds !without a cockpit! for about 5$ each...

Sigh! .... Happy I bought x-Plane 10...

Andreas
Schunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 07:07 AM   #63
Xajorkit
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by minispace View Post
SHO seems like it's aimed at the casual market, but that's not neccesarily a bad thing, as long as the game is fun. The more people that are introduced to ww2 submarines, even if it's through a browser game, the more interest there will be in realistic simulations in the future. At least that's what I hope.
I hope this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
Its not recycled Sh3/4/5 code.
True.

(That's my very first post on subsim after reading it for many years... nice to meet you guys...)
Xajorkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 07:08 AM   #64
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schunken View Post
It semms to be a generally tendence in the game industry...

Andreas
Funny thing. The game industry was like this almost 30 years ago. I can already see it: The Gaming Industry Crash of 2013.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 07:10 AM   #65
Meldric
Officer

Downloads: 165

Left my comment on facebook... really poor move.
The mods make this game, UBI just failed.

Die Geschichte lehrt die Menschen,
dass die Geschichte die Menschen nichts lehrt.
Gandhi
Meldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:16 AM   #66
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
makes me sick also You can tell that Ubi is all about the $$$. They could give a rats you-know-what about anything else

What makes me ever sicker is this is how all of corporate America is turning out to be...gotta make the shareholders happy and screw everyone else
Agreed but Ubisoft is French and investing in something as niche and risky as a subsim is hardly likely to please the shareholders even if it becomes a casual slant on the genre.
Old 04-27-12, 08:34 AM   #67
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

It looks like it will be the same as battlefield online . If they had any brains it should be set in 1943 and users can start off with a VIIA and probably buy diffrent upgrades . Playable surface ships V subs . But it would have been nice to get some more patches for SH5 first .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:40 AM   #68
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
It looks like it will be the same as battlefield online . If they had any brains it should be set in 1943 and users can start off with a VIIA and probably buy diffrent upgrades . Playable surface ships V subs . But it would have been nice to get some more patches for SH5 first .
If it had been destroyers versus U-boats I think I could have been persuaded to give it a try regardless of how arcade and lightweight it was, but, well, naah. Doesn't look like my kind of thing, really.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:02 AM   #69
Shiplord
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

The games was presented yesterday here in Berlin on the "Quo Vadis" Gamedeveloper Conference and Gamer Days.

One of the main gameplay will be a award-system for your crew and level-up system for your submarine like character levels in MMO's. If you lost your sub, your crew is also lost and you must start from the beginning with a new sub/crew. You can also buy those crew awards and submarine extensions for real money in an online-shop. You will control several subs on a strategic map and could jump into the commander role on one of the subs if the local action begins. Wolfspacks with other player shall also be possible.

Overall the whole game looks a bit cartoonish like it was designed for younger casual audiance.
Shiplord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:52 AM   #70
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.

Its free, may be worth a try, right?

Dan
There are things you do or say just out of principle. If I were the lead on a project that tanked and was asked by the same company to consult on a different project that is related to the project I worked on I would tell them to take a flying leap. Or better yet I would tell them to complete the first project before attempting another one. I cannot be bought with $.

It all comes down to a little thing called integrity. If you don't know what that word means I'll tell you:
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.

Just from what you said above one has to question your moral character and integrity.

Maybe it's because of my military background that I have integrity and not afraid to stand up for myself and what I believe/know is right

They want subsim to like it? Are you kidding me After the shaft you all stuck us with on SH5? I really hope this is all a bad dream and I will wake up soon

If they want any hope in subsim liking it then they need to:
- release the source code to SH5 so we can properly fix it or
- get back to work on creating the patch(es) for SH5 to fix what is still broke

Intregrity. Ubi = NO integrity
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 10:33 AM   #71
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
There are things you do or say just out of principle. If I were the lead on a project that tanked and was asked by the same company to consult on a different project that is related to the project I worked on I would tell them to take a flying leap. Or better yet I would tell them to complete the first project before attempting another one. I cannot be bought with $.

It all comes down to a little thing called integrity. If you don't know what that word means I'll tell you:
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.

Just from what you said above one has to question your moral character and integrity.

Maybe it's because of my military background that I have integrity and not afraid to stand up for myself and what I believe/know is right

They want subsim to like it? Are you kidding me After the shaft you all stuck us with on SH5? I really hope this is all a bad dream and I will wake up soon

- release the source code to SH5 so we can properly fix it or

Intregrity. Ubi = NO integrity
Having met Dan Dimitrescu in person I, like so many others know him to be high in moral character and integrity as well as a good friend to Neal and SubSim.

Anyone seeking to go down the route of what may be perceived as insulting members will be in breach of the forum rules and appropriate action may well result.

I hope we can all get on together.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 10:33 AM   #72
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
- release the source code to SH3, 4, and 5 so we can properly fix them or
Fixed. All Ubi can do is release a game that tanks and leave it up to the community to fix what they can, SH5 is getting better all the time and they've not spent another penny on it!!!

FFS they couldn't even get the voice-over guy in the SHO trailer to speak with a german accent! They don't care, they want there initial rush of people paying top-whack for a game that promises all and when the prices get cut, as inevitable when the players realise they've been sold a dud, they stop any further dev.
Old 04-27-12, 11:16 AM   #73
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Years ago, there was an on-line Submarine game I really liked.
You started with a Merchant ship.
Once you reached your destination you could get a Sub or a surface ship then keep playing.
There was an Island in the middle of the whole thing.

I was bummed when the Game went off-line.

Anyone remember that Game?
I think it was out of Germany also.
Old 04-27-12, 11:23 AM   #74
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Having met Dan Dimitrescu in person I, like so many others know him to be high in moral character and integrity as well as a good friend to Neal and SubSim.

Anyone seeking to go down the route of what may be perceived as insulting members will be in breach of the forum rules and appropriate action may well result.

I hope we can all get on together.
Sorry there forum cop for what you always perceive as deragatory or insulting. Quit playing forum cop and find something better to do with your time. People have a right to say what they want. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I have nothing against Dan. In fact he gave me great information in the early days of SH5 that I'm very grateful for. His decisions are his decisions. But one should be more careful what they say in a public environment, especially when it comes to the Silent Hunter franchise.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 12:10 PM   #75
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajorkit View Post

(That's my very first post on subsim after reading it for many years... nice to meet you guys...)
Welcome to subsim!

Quote:
I would contest the success of Warbirds and Aces High but then again, if they survived as long as they did, works for me But you have to remember that in both games you would pay a monthly fee in order to play!

BTW, COD is not the first game to have XP, levels and unlocks. The thing about unlocks is that they actually serves to gradually introduce features to the player without overwhelming him from the start. Would a game work without them? Sure.

I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.

Its free, may be worth a try, right?

Dan
- Never had any experience with War Birds, but I played AH extensively while they had their free lobbies up. Great game and great atmosphere. Was fun because you weren't hamstrung to other players in "better" planes. Skill was all that mattered.

I've also never had as much fun since, then when I used to squad up with 3 other random guys with mics and play wingman. Chasing down unsuspecting guys with your wingman was fun!

- The main point that I see to argue against the whole "gradual increase in features" point that you make is this. Let's be serious, and I in no way mean to disrespect people playing COD, but really? How can someone who plays something like a subsim be put on the same level as a COD player?

The vast majority of players, that I know at least, revel in the difficulty of dealing with the multiple intricacies and difficulties of operating and commanding a WW2 submarine in combat. If we wanted dumbed down, simplified gameplay, we'd go play COD. I'll be the first to admit that some days I do absolutely love hopping into COD and just having a good time. However, when I come to play a subsim, I expect a fun yet demanding experience. Part of the fun, for me at least, is multi-tasking and seeing a whole plan sink or swim.

Quote:

If you've consulted with the game in the past, can you please explain to me. How the hell does Ubi expect this community to respect anything that they shove down our throats anymore? Are they so deluded and secluded from their player base that they actually think the franchise is salvageable? Are you in fact the only Ubi/SH developer to actually get in touch with this community? And if not, why do they so blatantly ignore all of the input we've desperately been trying to give them? It just boggles my mind that they can expect this community to stand by their product after so many failures in the past.

On the point of this game having "tricks up its sleeve", maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I highly doubt that these will: a) be free, and b) be functional on release, and probably after the first (most likely late..) patch. It'd probably be up to this community (again probably why they want us to like it, so that modders like TDW would cover their rears) to fix the broken product, which, in the face of it being browser based, would be impossible.

I apologize if I give you the wrong impression of me, I really do hope that there is a next great subsim to come, maybe you're even the one to lead the team that delivers it. From what I've read and heard of you you're a great guy, but at this point, the long and steady decline of Ubi in this community's eyes means that, in my opinion at least, the next great, or even mediocre subsim, is not going to come from Ubisoft.

Thanks for your time,

Krauter.