SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-19, 06:08 AM   #1
Von Zaphod
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Help needed: WO disks in Optimized ARB WideGui 1920x1080 for WAC5.2

Ahoy!

I recently returned to SH3 (I played it a looong time ago when CRT monitors were a thing) and am using WAC 5.2 and Optimized ARB WideGui 1920x1080 for WAC5.2

First of all, let me thank everyone involved with this community and modding SH3. Without your hard work I wouldn't be playing this game at all.

Next, I'm looking for some help. The Weapons Officer has three disks:

After watching some videos I sort of kind of understand what the first one (attack disk) is for but the purpose of no's 2 and 3 elude me. Could someone ELI5 what these do and how they work, or point me in the direction of some documentation please?
Von Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-22, 04:03 AM   #2
tarkalak
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Second one is for doing multiplication and division. It is based on a US disk from WWII.

Here is a tutorial on using the first and second disks.

Third disk no idea. Author of the above videos also mentioned that there was a german disk specifically for the changing bearing over 1 minute, so it might be that.

EDIT: I found the third disk manual as well. It is in the MaGui manual.

Taken from this thread: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpos...9&postcount=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrody View Post
@GRENADER The tool also exists in Magui mod and it has a readme, here's what it says :

aob tool
--------

the aob tool is attached at weapon officer's orders

how to use this tool
--------------------
1.come to a dead stop.the u-boat must be totally stopped.
2.take the first bearing(B1) of the target and start the chronometer.
3. after x time (any time you want) take the second bearing(B2)
4.after EXACT x time take the third bearing(B3)(note:meaning, if your second bearing was taken after 30 minutes past then you will wait EXACTLY 30 minutes to take the third bearing )
5.calculate B2-B1 (difference between second and first bearing)
6.calculate B3-B1 (difference between third and first bearing)
7.now go to the aob tool.turn the inside disc until you line up the B2-B1 ON OUTSIDE disc WITH B3-B1 ON INSIDE disc
8.read the aob in the small window of the tool
IMPORTANT:the aob that you read is the aob at FIRST bearing.

notes
-----
i.the target must have move at least 5 degrees to take the second bearing.(B2-B1 must be larger than 5 degrees

ii.the tool is very sensitive.that means that if you see the target at 12,3 degrees this is the value that you will use (and don't say 12).the more exactly you are at the bearings...the more acurate will be the aob that you get

iii.with this tool ,you get only the aob(don't forget,..at first bearing),not the true course of target.all that you know by now is that the target is moving at a parallel line.when you calculate the distance ...you will be able to draw the true course of target

Makman94

@ericlea : good job with the draggable watch, , does it work on any version of ARB mod or only on this WAC version that you are improving ?

Last edited by tarkalak; 11-07-22 at 08:24 AM.
tarkalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 12:00 PM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I made the third disk. Or the scales for it anyway. It was based on a linear sliderule somebody made the scales for Silent Hunter 1. Once I published the prototype some mods (Makman was the first I think) included it and put some color on my white pristine disks. This is the original thread:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=147719

Basically it allows to find course/AOB from 3 bearings taken with equal time difference from a static point. Sort of like the first phase of the 4-bearing method before you move away from the listening point. The 4th bearing allows to know speed and distance to a position too.

It isn't time-authentic for WW2 or Germans. (neither was the second disk, though I am sure they had other logarithmic sliderules like this to multiply/divide) Ask your Grandma/Grandpa. Also, with the crude hydrophone it is slow to get accurate outcomes. More time is best to narrow down the AOB. Best is to not take short time intervals. Think in tens of minutes rather than minuts. And around 10 degrees for the first bearing difference rather than just 5 or 6.

Someone suggested to flip the AOB scale around to get the AOB at the 3rd bearing. But I never got around to remake that scale. Though it is as simple as adding the B3-B1 difference to the found AOB.