SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-20, 11:40 AM   #631
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I think I fixed it actually. I reloaded my autosave from leaving port and started from there instead of where I was originally. I clicked the giant map to get my orders, I received them and then the game loaded for a quick few seconds and then I was in the control room.
I saved my game while I was inside the port so that may have been the trigger, I'm not sure. Maybe a good pointer to other players is to NOT save in port or right outside its gates. If you already said this, my bad.
I have been looking for that post I referenced earlier, where there were issues with the game after Saving while in port and on the boat, but I have not found it yet. I do not recall if that was a mod, or the stock game either, and it may well have been back in the v1.1x days - my memory ain't what it used to be. I used to do that though myself. You'd get on the boat and Save... What might be happening is something is "off" in the Pearl area. Bad data Saved can ruin the later Saves. But I have not found anything around Pearl that is bad - as of yet - still looking. My poor little mind though, flitting about from flower to flower... oooohhh... preht-ty light... wander wander...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 08:05 AM   #632
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Started a new canpaign in 42 from asiatic with a salmon boat second patrol off hainan
Git wuno by a gunboat when at pd ??? How!?

I got a ctd when loading the save..
Now staring again.
K

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 10:15 AM   #633
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Icon1

Something I don't see every day...

A plane hung in the air.
I was in the area of the western shore of Bungo Suido, on March 3, 1942, searching for another target when, the stopwatch stopped for a moment of time compression (TC) was at 512. I went to a TC of 1 and to the sonar station after diving to radar depth. After hearing my own propeller noise on sonar, started a search of any other noises of possible targets. The green light on the sonar console lit up for about twenty degrees. I turn the boat to the center of that heading and after the boat stopped turning, I went to the free camera <F12> to go look ahead of the boat to see what was causing the sound on sonar. When I came upon the image, I just thought I had pause the game but, after looking down to the bottom right of the screen, TC was at 1. This plane just hanging around, waiting to be told what to do!

This screenshot is the area on the map <F5> of the area I made the discovery.

After sinking a merchant and starting to leave the area to return to my home port of Pearl Harbor, in a Porpoise class boat. I took this screenshot to mark the area where the plane was. Also this is the coordinates of the area, Longitude 132° 0' E. Latitude 32° 44' N.

Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8

Last edited by Larrywb57; 03-23-20 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Correcting spelling
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-20, 12:14 PM   #634
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Default CTD after starting third Patrol

I'm having trouble with saves after the saving the start of third patrol. Started saving about 150nm from home port, Pearl Harbor last time. Using a porpoise class boat, date is April 8, 1942. Reach last waypoint, rubber amidships and boat is not moving. No other traffic is in the area. Saved the game as '3rd_Patrol_start', waited 20 or more seconds after first click on save, then second click on save, the screen went back to ' Resume, Load, Save, Options, Exit to Main Menu and Exit to Windows' screen. Resumed game and waited for ten minutes before exiting game. When desktop came up, check to see if LAA or SH4 property settings have changed, no changes noted.

Earlier, I had this same problem at the beginning of the third patrol so, thinking it was something in setup of the game, I check to see if any changes in the JSGME application, after removing all mods, which was one but elected to perform fresh install from a SH4 with U-Boat missions DVD disk I had brought years ago. Installed everything according to CapnScurvy post, 'Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install'.
Here is the mission orders for the third partol.

I can't figure out what I've done wrong to not get any further than the start of the thirds patrol. Any help or suggestions will be appreciation.

Thanks,
Larry

Edit: I was reading on the forum, Silent Hunter4: Wolves of the Pacific, the thread 'Window 10 Issue' and the post by Torpedobait, #5. I made the changes suggested and tried to run the game which opened up to the Control Room <F2>. It seems to work. Adding this to my 'start up notes' since the old sponge doesn't work so well anymore. THANKS Torpedobait for posting this!

Last edited by Larrywb57; 03-23-20 at 04:49 PM. Reason: New information added since posting.
Old 03-23-20, 04:51 PM   #635
propbeanie

Well... what is up with my isp?... I "sent" this hours ago, and when I come back to the machine, the hour glass is still spinning, and the post still hasn't sent... Anyway:

What kind of airplane was that Larrywb57? your first "Spoiler" link says "The image you are requesting does not exist...", if that's a picture of the plane. Did it have Flying Tigers coloring? That would be the Chinese P-40. If it is a Japanese plane, there are quite a few of those it could be... single-engine? double? quad?... flying boat? etc... ?? That is most likely the start of your troubles.

I am currently off the Bungo Suido, in the general area:

I happened upon a fishing boat along about noon time on February 1, 1942, so to stir things up a bit, I shot a torpedo at it from 2500 yards so that it would "see" the track and "fone home", which it did. About an hour later, I saw a medium tanker purposefully zigging around my position, so I gave chase. While enroute, another sonar line is reported of a warship closing. I got to the tanker just in time to put three into it, spread across about a minute's worth of time so that there would be plenty of time for it to radio in and for me to get far enough way. That's the way it happened. I Saved in the middle of the attack. I Saved after the attack. I have now Saved again, it is 2000 hours, and the Kanamaru has been running in circles in the general area since at least 1300. Rather persistent, but was only maybe 2800 yards away at the closest, when he first approached the sinkings area. The "hunter" actually split the difference between where I had sunk the fishing boat, and where I had sunk the tanker... most interesting...

but no airplanes, and no other response to my presence, other than I do know a small convoy left Bungo Suido out the other side of the channel back at about 1530 hours, and I did not attempt to chase it... I'm now back on the surface, charging batteries, and I'll probably have to wait for daylight again for the possibility of finding airplanes... If you can get me any info or a pic of that plane Larrywb57, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 03-23-20, 10:26 PM   #636
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Sorry Propbeanie. I will be away from my computer for a couple of days. As to your question, it looked like a Japanese Zero with flames coming out of the engine cowl and engulfing the pilot's cockpit. The plane was in a tight turn to the starboard side with the wing almost pointed downward. Behind the red meatball were two blue stripes going around the fuselage. It was just hanging in the air, not moving. It was just like a picture hung in the air. The time was 20:48 hrs, Pearl Harbor time. March 3, 1942. I don't have a good internet connection now but, tomorrow I will try to download a picture of it. And try to upload it to subsim.
Larry
Old 03-23-20, 10:30 PM   #637
propbeanie

I do now have a suspect line-up, if you can Larrywb57, look these suspects over. Remember, they are in a brightly lit room, and you are behind a one way mirror. The suspects cannot see you, and will not be able to take retaliation against your boat and crew... Shall we proceed?...

"Subject number one, please step forward!" OK Larrywb57, we feel this critter here is supplying the area its airplanes. There are only 3 small squadrons on duty early in the war, and it takes about a 40 journey over the mountains for them to get to your location. We are not certain as to their skill at negotiating the height of the mountains, and may well pile themselves on the peaks:

"Subject number one, you may step back. Subject number two, please step forward!" OK Larrywb57. This is our primary suspect. Is this the one you saw 'stuck' the other day?... The G4M_Betty! Two engines of un-muffled terror! aka: Admiral Yamamoto's favorite airplane...

"Subject two please step back! Subject number three, step forward please!" This one is a possible suspect also, due to a small squadron being associated with the Nagasaki Air Base. Equipped with 4 engines, and able to carry bombs or depth charges, they are lethal, even if they are one of the slowest planes out there. They are also capable of hanging around a while. The H6K2:

"Subject three, you may step back, and subject four, step forward please." This plane, like Betty above, is in just about every line-up like this. Equipped with non-sealing fuel tanks, this plane is worth nothing when it lights up and sends its pilot to a fiery grave, we give you the A6M2 Zero:

Note that this subject is often dressed in white. "Thank you subjects for your co-operation. There are donuts and coffee in the break room! You better be fast though!"

Do you recognize any of them Larrywb57?...

Old 03-23-20, 10:40 PM   #638
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

It was the M6A2 Zero! I will never forget the look on it's face as I was moving closer to it!
Larry : salute:
Old 03-24-20, 09:06 AM   #639
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Edit: I was reading on the forum, Silent Hunter4: Wolves of the Pacific, the thread 'Window 10 Issue' and the post by Torpedobait, #5. I made the changes suggested and tried to run the game which opened up to the Control Room <F2>. It seems to work. Adding this to my 'start up notes' since the old sponge doesn't work so well anymore. THANKS Torpedobait for posting this!
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-20, 09:24 AM   #640
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Argument for a totally CLEAN install

After completing a career in FOTRSU I took a break and ran a career in UBoat Missions all the way to the end of the war. I did not do a clean install, just went back to the Main Menu and started the career from there after unloading the FOTRSU mod sets from JSGME. Everything in the UBoat missions career seemed just fine.

I then went back to JSGME, unloaded all mods, and deleted just the Saved Games and Rich Save Game folders, leaving all other files intact in the SH4 document folder.

I started a new career in FOTRSU in a Salmon Class boat out of Cavite/Manila. Here's where things got interesting. Every so often one of the voice acknowledgments comes out in German, such as "Los" when firing a torpedo, and the Recognition Manual has ships I've never seen before! They go by designations such as R185 (I made that name up but it is representative). There are literally 20-30 or more ships in the Merchant category like that. I didn't bother to look through anything else, because I know I have a screwed up installation.
One other thing - I always use the 300+ clear visibility mod - no matter where in the sequence I order it there was no effect on visibility - first time that ever happened.

I've seen mod soup effects before, but nothing like this - almost a mix between SH3-GWX and SH4, with some changes overriding parts of mods that worked perfectly in the past.

So, my caution to everyone is to follow the accepted procedure when changing careers, mods, or whatever. Unintall (delete) your SH4 Documents folder completely - the game will make a new one when you run it the first time), uninstall the entire game, do a clean install up to version 1.5 (Uboat missions) in any folder except the dreaded "Program Files" folders, and then follow the directions for a new install of the mods you want. Don't forget to rerun Large Address Aware for the "new" SH4.exe after turning off the "read only" for all game files, etc.

Lesson learned!

Old 03-24-20, 09:31 AM   #641
propbeanie

Quote:
Sorry Propbeanie. I will be away from my computer for a couple of days. As to your question, it looked like a Japanese Zero with flames coming out of the engine cowl and engulfing the pilot's cockpit. The plane was in a tight turn to the starboard side with the wing almost pointed downward. Behind the red meatball were two blue stripes going around the fuselage. It was just hanging in the air, not moving. It was just like a picture hung in the air. The time was 20:48 hrs, Pearl Harbor time. March 3, 1942. I don't have a good internet connection now but, tomorrow I will try to download a picture of it. And try to upload it to subsim.
Larry
Quote:
It was the M6A2 Zero! I will never forget the look on it's face as I was moving closer to it!
Larry : salute:
Wow! the rendering of the site I am getting across my connection is weird... last night when I posted my "suspects", my preceding post was the last one here... Larrywb57's post in between mine was not showing... this morning, torpedobait's post of 10:04 was not showing on my screen at 10:18, yet at 10:20 it shows... - anyway:

Thanks Larrywb57 for more detail. How far away from that burning plane do you suppose you were? "Land" doesn't render as far out as the ships and planes do. Notice how the vegetation is about the last thing to come into view, from like 2500 yards out or so? The "land" itself is at about 8k yds, and about 12k for just the "faces" that you can see from where your sub sits (the "stage"). If you get behind the "scenery stage" and turn around, you'll not "see" those faces at all, so that Zero may well have been laying on a hillside, after having "crashed" into it from flying too low, or maybe losing altitude when turning. Bad sushi?? Too much saki??... I did just now come up with an idea though... The airplanes, besides being influenced by the CrewRating setting (most are set to Elite in FotRSU), are also influenced by their Speed= setting, which if they are an airplane spawned by an airfield, we have no direct control over... but if you ever insert a plane into the ME, you might notice that their "minimum" speed is usually used... I wonder if we raise that in the cfg files, if the planes from airfields will fly better?... I'm off to tinker!

Old 03-24-20, 02:05 PM   #642
Beach Bum
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Default Failure to Start

FAKE EDIT: I'm leaving this here as a billboard of shame... see the last lines before composing a reply.

Hello folks,

Having a bit of an issue getting the game to load. I have burned up a dozen or so gigs of bandwidth redownloading the Steam version of SH4 today ensuring I am doing this right. Here's what I'm doing, just so I give you devs a comprehensive procedure so that you can tell me what I'm doing wrong (because Wolfpack345's livestream video has got me hooked and I want to play)

System Data:
Win10 Pro N
i5-8600K, 16gb RAM, 1070Ti
Install on SSD
Steam Library folder installed to SSD root
  1. Delete SH4 saves folder
  2. Install SH4 via Steam to C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
  3. Run LAA on SH4.exe
  4. Create JSGME "Mods" folder
  5. Run JSGME "Snapshot" task.
  6. Extract FotRSU folder to "Mods" from archive
  7. Enable FotRSU via JSGME
  8. Run SH4.exe

When I run SH4, the opening video and cinematic play without issue. The problem occurs when the splash screen loading bar fills up, and I start getting dialog boxes in the background stating "File Not Found: [blah]" and there's like a billionty of them (at least, I'm not quite willing to wear out my spacebar finding the end). They seem to repeat. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/rXDHlBa.png

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

*FAKE EDIT: I FOUND OUT I WAS INSTALLING THE NON-UBOAT VERSION THE WHOLE TIME BECAUSE THE UBOAT VERSION WAS IN MY FAVORITES CATEGORY Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

Game loads fine now that it can find all the files it's looking for. Hope to post some tonnage reports soon! (elsewhere, of course)

Last edited by Beach Bum; 03-24-20 at 02:14 PM.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 08:46 AM   #643
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
FAKE EDIT: I'm leaving this here as a billboard of shame... see the last lines before composing a reply.

Hello folks,

Having a bit of an issue getting the game to load. I have burned up a dozen or so gigs of bandwidth redownloading the Steam version of SH4 today ensuring I am doing this right. Here's what I'm doing, just so I give you devs a comprehensive procedure so that you can tell me what I'm doing wrong (because Wolfpack345's livestream video has got me hooked and I want to play)

System Data:
Win10 Pro N
i5-8600K, 16gb RAM, 1070Ti
Install on SSD
Steam Library folder installed to SSD root
  1. Delete SH4 saves folder
  2. Install SH4 via Steam to C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
  3. Run LAA on SH4.exe
  4. Create JSGME "Mods" folder
  5. Run JSGME "Snapshot" task.
  6. Extract FotRSU folder to "Mods" from archive
  7. Enable FotRSU via JSGME
  8. Run SH4.exe

When I run SH4, the opening video and cinematic play without issue. The problem occurs when the splash screen loading bar fills up, and I start getting dialog boxes in the background stating "File Not Found: [blah]" and there's like a billionty of them (at least, I'm not quite willing to wear out my spacebar finding the end). They seem to repeat. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/rXDHlBa.png

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

*FAKE EDIT: I FOUND OUT I WAS INSTALLING THE NON-UBOAT VERSION THE WHOLE TIME BECAUSE THE UBOAT VERSION WAS IN MY FAVORITES CATEGORY Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

Game loads fine now that it can find all the files it's looking for. Hope to post some tonnage reports soon! (elsewhere, of course)
Not sure if this is your problem, but you need to change all folder/file properties to uncheck the read-only box. Do this before you run LAA.
Which version did you dowload from Steam? It has to be at v1.5 (Uboat Missions) for FOTRSU to work.

Old 03-25-20, 11:15 AM   #644
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
How far away from that burning plane do you suppose you were?
I was going off a sound contact from my sonar. So after the boat turned to the heading, I went to the free camera. I 'flew' the super secret UAV towards the coast and the first thing I saw was an island that had a mountain on it I flew over the top of that and I was back over water. I saw a small image in front of me. When I reached the image, I noticed it was a Zero with the engine ablaze. I could see the coast behind the plane as I was moved around it and water was still beneath us. At the moment, I'm not at home. When I get back, I will try to reload the save and see if I can find it again.
Old 03-25-20, 01:23 PM   #645
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Uss Grayling (SS-209) Gar.
Long 139 36E
Lat 34 53N

Almost the end of my second patrol out of Midway, we're just North East of that first island outside of Tokyo bay, if you look on a real world map its called Ishima Island, but you might already know that, I thought it would be nice to give everyone who reads this thread a bit of a geography lesson.

Ships sunk,
Modern Passenger Liner
Large Composite Freighter
Large Modern Tanker

Warships in attendence,
Light Cruiser Naka Class (in with the convoy)
Fubuki
Kamikaze
E Shimuzu

I don't remember any of the other ships as I've just been diagnosed with depth charge syndrome and as you know forgetfulness is one of its symptoms. So down to the problem, the dials are all stuck at 12.00 high, the sonar lines are still working and so is the sonar man so it must be something you've done to my submarine, if you need any other information it'll cost you, and my dials working correctly is the price.

Hopefully there's enough info up there to give you an idea as to the problem.