SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-29-20, 05:23 PM   #511
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0
Default Stop Watch? Recog Manual?

Dumb questions (just installed FoTRSU):

1. My stop watch appears in the periscope view, but not in the navigation map.

There is the little "x" up in the corner above the nomograph that I can drag around when I hit the x key to call up the stop watch, but no actual stop watch.

2. Manual targeting selected. Is there a way to automagically open onto the correct page in the recognition manual if I have the crew ID a target?

Beginning of the war, in an S-boat.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 06:00 PM   #512
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... maybe the short-cut key isn't working correctly... In FotRSU, the "X" key should bring you a weather report... "C" gives you the chronometer. It should come up on the NavMap when you use that. If not, while on the NavMap, click the periscope button one time, then click on the chronometer button there, and you should have it on top of the NavMap then. You could also hit 2048x TC and get it to show, but I imagine you are doing a time-check for speed... - might ruin things doing high TC there... - for more info, be sure and consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" files in the game root folder for the updated versions CapnScurvy made for FotRSU. If you have issues with these short-cut keys, be sure then that you emptied the Save folder "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", then run SH4 with FotRSU again.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-20, 10:13 PM   #513
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... maybe the short-cut key isn't working correctly... In FotRSU, the "X" key should bring you a weather report... "C" gives you the chronometer. It should come up on the NavMap when you use that. If not, while on the NavMap, click the periscope button one time, then click on the chronometer button there, and you should have it on top of the NavMap then. You could also hit 2048x TC and get it to show, but I imagine you are doing a time-check for speed... - might ruin things doing high TC there... - for more info, be sure and consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" files in the game root folder for the updated versions CapnScurvy made for FotRSU. If you have issues with these short-cut keys, be sure then that you emptied the Save folder "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", then run SH4 with FotRSU again.

I'm a dope - I saw something indicating the keycard was updated, looked and saw "x" assigned because I was looking at the wrong file and assumed it was still the same key assignment.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 05:17 AM   #514
Torpedo
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1054

Default gauges do not work

Hi propbeanie!
You wrote:
"The most consistent way to induce the gauges to quit is to have an AI Submarine that shares the same parts as your submarine, comes within the" spawning range "of your submarine, which is somewhere between 24 and 32 km, depending upon whose data you believe concerning the "spawning range". This occurs from having the parts of the submarines "conflict" with each other. In FotRSU, we are reasonably certain we have eliminated this type of issue, by having separate parts and 3D models of the submarines and their parts for all of the AI ​​submarines. "
Ok, so with Porpoise if I meet a Japanese submarine between 24 and 32 km in FotRSU the problem of blocked gauges is solved. But with the Porpoise I met a C3 submarine that blocked my gauges as I showed with the screenshot and with the data you requested from me.
What is the solution? Choose a submarine other than Porpoise?
Did this problem only happen to me or to other captains and how did they solve it? It seems that, returning to the base, everything is fixed.
Anyway I start with a new career with a different submarine and with FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004.a_EN and I hope well !!!
Sorry if I repeat myself but I would like to solve this problem.
Torpedo
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 09:17 AM   #515
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

@propbeanie
No, there isn’t a gutter to scroll each message. There is one to scroll through the entire message board, which doesn’t help reading individual long messages.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 02:12 PM   #516
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Toughest Mission in FOTRS-U

ok, sports fans, poll time.
what in your opinion is the toughest career-mission in FOTRSU?

don't include the single missions or the "war patrols"....just missions while you are playing a career.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 03:58 PM   #517
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
Hi propbeanie!
You wrote:
"The most consistent way to induce the gauges to quit is to have an AI Submarine that shares the same parts as your submarine, comes within the" spawning range "of your submarine, which is somewhere between 24 and 32 km, depending upon whose data you believe concerning the "spawning range". This occurs from having the parts of the submarines "conflict" with each other. In FotRSU, we are reasonably certain we have eliminated this type of issue, by having separate parts and 3D models of the submarines and their parts for all of the AI ​​submarines. "
Ok, so with Porpoise if I meet a Japanese submarine between 24 and 32 km in FotRSU the problem of blocked gauges is solved. But with the Porpoise I met a C3 submarine that blocked my gauges as I showed with the screenshot and with the data you requested from me.
What is the solution? Choose a submarine other than Porpoise?
Did this problem only happen to me or to other captains and how did they solve it? It seems that, returning to the base, everything is fixed.
Anyway I start with a new career with a different submarine and with FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004.a_EN and I hope well !!!
Sorry if I repeat myself but I would like to solve this problem.
Torpedo
Choosing any playable submarine would not matter. If something is conflicting with one playable sub, it will almost 100% conflict with all of the others. We have a couple of ideas between us (s7rikeback and propbeanie) that we can try, and see what happens. If any other user is encountering blank gauges after a Save, exit, the Load the Save later, please let us know, and let us know the home port, submarine used, and where you were when you discovered this issue. Of similar report would be gauges that go to "12 O'Clock high, where not matter what you do, the gauges are straight up noon time, or in the case of the planesmen's depth gauges, at 3 O'Clock and 9 O'clock respectively, no matter how deep or shallow you dive. Torpedo reports this after encountering an IJN C3 submarine. We are not certain if other AI submarine models cause similar yet or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
@propbeanie
No, there isn’t a gutter to scroll each message. There is one to scroll through the entire message board, which doesn’t help reading individual long messages.
What is the date and time of the messages, and can you give us an idea of what they say? Are you sure you emptied the Save folder after applying the FotRSU v1.004.a mod? v1.0.1.g had that issue... ?? These two versions (again) are not compatible with each other for the most part.

Old 03-01-20, 04:10 PM   #518
propbeanie

This is what I'm getting at... here is your first post, and I think I am reading a June 1, 1942 date on the clipboard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Some of my radio messages are always partial, especially the long ones. Full messages are not displayed. Not sure if this is the mod issue of the stock game issue? Or is there some way to read full message?

Here is an over-sized image of what the messages.txt file will display for that time period:

which basically says "MEXICO DECLARES WAR ON GERMANY X WE’RE SURE THERES A JOKE IN THERE SOMEWHERE X" (remember, we're dealing with the WWII era thought processes). That is all that broadcasts that day. The messages above, for several days, are all basically "one-liners" also... ??

Old 03-02-20, 03:52 PM   #519
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Multiple Spawns

Running up the East coast of Formosa just now I found an unmarked harbor/port with multiple tankers, a few freighters, a couple of DDs and multiple gunboats. All but the tankers were from multiple spawns - looked like at least 3 DD's and gunboats were stacked across each other, as were the 3 freighters. Position is 121-40E; 24-0N, about 76NM SSE of Taipei. Did not catch exact date and time before I had a rare CTD, but it was in July 1944. Lots of stuttering in the frame rate from all the traffic, I'd say. Anything above 256-512x was impossible. We've seen this before, but I'd never gone up the coast of Formosa before.

Besides the latest FOTRSU mod, I am running FOTRSU Unmark Removal; Lite Fog VC2 + 300' Underwater visibility, 454_EasyAOB, 455_NoScrollNavMap_FotRSU, 501_Optional - Same Sized Dials, and 901_strategic_map_symbols.

This was on my 4th patrol in USS Balao out of Midway. Let me know if you need anything else. I plan to reload the game from a Save and can get you the exact date and time if you need it.

EDIT: Went back with a Save game to the same port on Formosa. Found only the 3 freighters were apparently multi-spawned. There was no significant stuttering on approach or departure tis time, probably because the number of multi-spawned ships was smaller. I understand it can be different every time from a Save game. This time (07-18-1944 @14:44) the three were an Adu Maru Freighter, a Large Composite Freighter, and a Medium Heavy Load Freighter.
I Sank all 3, by the way, along with 3 tankers, one Large and 2 European for a nice total tonnage, thank you very much!

I hope this is enough info, because I deleted the save games out of habit. I generally only keep the arrival and departure points.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 03-02-20 at 05:46 PM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 09:24 PM   #520
propbeanie

I do see a slight problem with the 44b_Jap_HarborTraffic file, and we'll correct that for the next release. I'll also double-check all of the other layer files of that same name. Some of the old-style "calls" from the combined Jap_HarborTraffic layer are still in parts of those files, so there are multiple calls for the same ship in the same spot, just 200 hours or less apart. All of the DelayMinInterv= were supposed to be much higher (as long as the layer's time frame), along with the MaxInst= and MaxUnitsCreated= being set to "1" for all of the DockedShip=Yes units. That area, as well as a few others were missed. As a little side note, you also found a location where for whatever reason, the "Name" is not showing... for reference, we've used this:

so the location you are seeing without its proper name is Hualien. Do be aware that harbor raiding will be downright dangerous next version.

Old 03-02-20, 09:28 PM   #521
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I installed and played about 2 hours so far and have noticed many of the little annoyances with 1.0.1.g gone. I'm using about 5 mods that I used in the previous release without any trouble.

At first blush, 1.004a has taken SH 4 to another level in exciting game play. Thanks guys!

Macgregor sends Bravo Zulu!!!
Old 03-02-20, 10:30 PM   #522
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do be aware that harbor raiding will be downright dangerous next version.

Next version? I hit a net, backed off and trying to avoid the net, hit a mine and sank, back in the first build. Haven't tried a port raid since then. Won't enter a harbor, unless ordered.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 07:18 AM   #523
propbeanie

- oh wow! Sorry 'bout that!

Some of the harbors do have protection in the guise of anti-sub nets, others with mines, others with patrol vessels, and others still, with some or all of the above measures, but most basically have nothing. Rabaul is shtinking with patrols, nets and mines, while Truk is mostly just nets and mines. There really should be some "air cover" around most of these locations also, so there will be a fourth method of "protection" in the next round, along with more small coastal patrol craft. We'll leave some the way they are, but they'll be fewer and farther between. The AI doesn't change as much through the war either anymore, and we'll attempt to "fix" that, so that by mid-1943, you'll know they're learning their lessons on ASW... This will not be accomplished overnight though.

Old 03-03-20, 12:31 PM   #524
Fire
Bosun

Downloads: 33
Default CTD on loading savegame

I have a problem loading my campaign save files.

Two days ago I reinstalled SH4 from scratch as mentioned in the FOTRS readme. (clean game, LAA fix, JSGME, FOTRS 1.004.a)
I started a new Fleetboat campaign which ran smooth. I even could save and load my game.
Yesterday on my third patrol I also created a few savegames. But now I can't load anyone of them. Upon saving I made sure the boat was surfaced an no enemy contact nearby.
When I load a game I get the loading bar and after that the black screen and textbox "No mission to difficult". After that comes a Crash to Desktop, no error message or similar.

Autosaves created in Port load fine.

Any suggestions?
I often can play only for a hour or two on evenings, so when the save / load function doesn't work fine I'll never finish a campaign...

System Spec:
Win 10 Prof 64bit (V 1909)
CPU Intel i4790k
8 GB RAM (DDR 3 3200)
GeForce GTX970
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 01:02 PM   #525
JuicemanJ
Swabbie

Downloads: 48
Default Install

How do i know i got the Mod installed or not? I was expecting in the load screen to see something different. I just built a new rig and installed from steam and have not played the game for years. Something in the menu or anything to let me know? I did not boot the game before i installed to see if there was a difference.
JuicemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote