Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 09-30-07, 03:34 PM   #1
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Battle of Britain 2 "Wings of Victory"

I am not seeing a hell of a lot of posts about this game, which has turned into the best simulation of the Battle of Britain ever created.

First of all, I know the checkered unique history about this game, as in 2001 I have bought the original BoB by Rowan. I didnt like at is it was unstable and the graphics were lame compared to contemporary flightsims (IL2).

In 2003 I downloaded an improved version made by the BDG. The BDG then was an independent developer group created after the source code was released -in an unprecedented move- by Empire. It had better graphics but it still crashed all the time so I quickly forgot about that one as well.

In 2005 there appeared reviews about Battle of Britain 2 which was a even more improved version by the BDG re-released by shockwaveproductions. The reviewers really liked it but they all said it was still unstable. So again, I still saw no reason to get this game.

Only a short while ago there I heard rumors that the current version is now a very stable and amazing game, actually surpassing IL2 in a lot of ways, possibly even the best flight sim when it comes to the single player experience.

So I finally started looking in the various fora about the game and the more I read, the more I got convinced that this was a game to get. I am so glad I did.

On all fronts the game has been improved now so many times that is an absolutely up to date flightsim, and the stability is very good now. Graphics, sound, flight models, I couldnt think of a single area where I wasnt blown away. That is of course, only with all new updates installed, i.e the 2.06 and 2.0.6.1 patches and the new summer terrain.

This is not just a flightsim but also a strategy game about the Battle of Britain. There are a lot of people who enjoy the strategy part so much they never ever go into the cockpit. With its deep, involving campaign this should be an absolutely ideal game for subsim players.

So, if you are looking for a really great flightsim head over to

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob

Moreover, the game has one of the best communities on the planet, with developers constantly releasing updates and discussing with their fanbase:

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/forum/index.php

Just a suggestion form an excited user You might not want to miss out in this one!

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 05:11 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I have it and love it. But what puts me off is the sometimes jerky AI planes. At times, they just warp to a turn, like in a huge lag in an online game. But that's the only complain about the game.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 07:30 PM   #3
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Thanks for the info! I've been wanting to play something other than IL2, but most ww2 flight sims don't seem very good.

I hope the physics in Battle of Britain 2 are good. IL2 has the best physics in a ww2 flight sim imo.

edit. Lol, I just went ahead and bought it. First time I ever did a download purchase. Now I need to make a profile for x52. You wouldn't happen to know if there's a good one for me to download would ya?

Last edited by Ilpalazzo; 10-06-07 at 09:42 PM.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 11:42 AM   #4
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

I have a X52 myself, but I dont use profiles, I only assign the buttons/axis. But if you ask at the shockwave forums, I am sure someone will help you there. I have never seen such a responsive community before.

As a new player, dont forget to download all major updates from there as well, i.e. the 2.06 and multiskin patch, as well as the new summer terrain graphics (the new version appeared just a couple of hours ago).

And its also quite important that if you have some problem, ask at the forums. There are some small issues with installing the game o.o.b., but there are also always solutions. You will probably even get a reply by one of the programmers, and possibly the will make a small fix to the program right away.

Old 10-08-07, 08:05 AM   #5
SeaVee
Watch

Downloads: 0

Here is some info with pics, video preview links, etc. on the new terrain:
http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthread...60#Post2353360

SeaVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 12:31 PM   #6
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Hi SeeVee! I didn't know you were into subsims as well.

I think the new terrain update has brought the sim even closer to the competition in respect to low altitude. Of course, very low altitude flying is one of the weakest points of this game, despite the constant improvement. (Personally I think CFS3 with Over Flanders Fields is the champion here.)

But eye candy aside, at altitudes of 3000 feet and onwards it beats everything out there, and that is very important because those were the service/combat altitudes of these planes.

I found that it helps me if I play OFF for a while when I am more interested in spectacular low level flying, and FS2004 if I want to fly at some particular place (in a Tiger Moth of course). Afterwards if I return to BoB2 it doesnt bother me very much to fly over the somewhat less spectacular terrain, and instead have superior AI / campaign / cockpits etc ..