SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-21, 11:12 AM   #2566
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, on the blank line messing with the End Screen's display. I was coming back to edit the post above, because I don't think you would have (and should not have) dropped through to a 50 response. For one thing, you were assigned an Objective prior to the "blank", and you were assigned an Objective after the "blank", by virtue of which would insinuate that you had plenty of fuel and plenty of ammo for any Objective that might have been on the "blank" line... The only other reason to drop to a 50 response is if you have a Primary or Secondary Objective "active", or in-complete. That will probably be how I attempt to "test" this later. I'll have an active Objective active when I fone home with a Contact Report. I am also wondering if maybe there isn't a "blank line" in one of those missions' Objective from your first "Contact Report" response? I don't know how that would happen, but stranger things have happened in the game...
i hate to burst your bubble but i have received a 50 response when fully loaded with fuel and ammo.
in the past i have had as many as three unfulfilled Objectives on my slate. One would be a Mission-Specific Objective(Patrol Area 7) and the other two would be unfulfilled Secondarys. Interspersed between those Secondarys could be one or more 50's.

My SWAG (based on experiences) is that when a sub driver radios for a Secondary Objective, i think that there are eligibility rules applied and if the sub is eligible for a Secondary then it is a dice throw. and...sometimes the throw is a 50.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 11:21 AM   #2567
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That's what I said though, is that if you have an unfulfilled Objective, Primary or Secondary, you automatically fall through to the 50 response. If you are low on fuel or ammo, you automatically fall through to a 50 response. Beyond that, one of the others should "catch" you, but not always. There is the "AllMatch=" line, and sometimes the "PartialMatch=" line (which then brings in the "PartialMatchingMinimumPercentage=" line). Most of the missions require a minimum of 10% fuel, and 25% ammo, which in reality is torpedoes, and does not include deck gun and AA levels. If none of that catches you, you fall through to a 50 responese. It's kind of like one of those old pinball machines that doesn't have flippers. All you can do is watch the ball bounce around during its journey to the bottom of the table toward the "drain hole" of 50... unless something else above catches it...

I've been through all of the missions and the DynamicMiss file, and see nothing obviously wrong, so on to trying a few assignments myself, and see how many times I can get sunk... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 11:57 AM   #2568
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Datapoint: Traffic was normal all the way into and including the Inland Sea, though air contacts were mercifully lower than usual. Game CTDed eventually: ran in submerged to Bepu, sank a FHF, and headed for Oite with seven or so sonar contacts behind and probably that many ahead. With TC at 120-160, the game froze and CTDed.

LAA is enabled AFAIK.
Almost the exact same problem here, just east of the Japanese coast. 1st patrol, sunk 2 ships, headed north along the coast. Submerge due to air traffic. Sonar detects three more south west of my position. Turn south, see their stacks long range with the scope.

Decide to get some sleep and continue the next day.

Load game back up, search along the same bearings I'm still hearing, cannot get a visual. During scope search CTD. Reload, use TC, CTD at probably the same time. Reload again, try different maneuvers, CTD.

In Gar class, 1st patrol out of Midway early 42.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 01:43 PM   #2569
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
Almost the exact same problem here, just east of the Japanese coast. 1st patrol, sunk 2 ships, headed north along the coast. Submerge due to air traffic. Sonar detects three more south west of my position. Turn south, see their stacks long range with the scope.

Load game back up, search along the same bearings I'm still hearing, cannot get a visual. During scope search CTD. Reload, use TC, CTD at probably the same time. Reload again, try different maneuvers, CTD.

I've since encountered this again in Truk, again with multiple ships and planes, leading me to assume it was related to the game's system resources being strained. However, I just completed two sea trial patrols which involved transiting Golden Gate to Mare Island, a route along which there are 2x-3x more contacts than Truk or the Inland Sea, all of which the Balao's watch insisted in cataloging in excruciating detail. No CTD, despite my efforts at max TC.

Incidentally, PB, I just had a third assignment to Truk. You recall the issue posted from the first one, the Yamato convoy E of Dublon. The second assignment went more normally: ambushed an exiting convoy at the SW approaches which had been still inside the atoll when detected, then penetrated the harbor and sinking anchored capital ships (and a frozen MPF once). Each time the game CTDed as I nearly escaped the lagoon, which I attributed to system resource constraints. It's almost as if the game refuses to allow harbor raiding there. Eventually I declined the raid and went N, where I discovered a frozen Shokaku and modern passenger transport. Sank both, then proceeded back to Mare Island to start sea trials (although this was the Balao we'd just upgraded to). No CTD.

Anyway, patrol 3 is in early stages of recon, circumnavigating the atoll, but advanced enough to note a pattern that might be worthwhile:
Patrol 1: Two warships reported individually via Magic as moving at 5 kts, although within the harbors.
Patrol 2: Two warships reported individually via Magic as stationary.
Patrol 3: Two warships reported individually via Magic; one at 5 kts, one stationary.

Patrol 3 is 8/19/43, ex-Mare Island, assigned to the Carolines. Presumably the home port will be changed during this assignment.

FWIW, kudos on:
- Adding Tulagi as a base, though I've lost it again on the upgrade. Oddly, there's the option after the first sea trial patrol of transferring to Brisbane (and only Brisbane).
- The aerial spectacles in assignments to the Dampier/Vitiaz Straits region. I'd only seen similar north of the Marianas in 1945, and then only briefly and unpredictably.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 01-16-21 at 01:53 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 04:17 PM   #2570
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post

Do you happen to have a guess-timate of a Lat / Long location? An approximate date? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I've since encountered this again in Truk, again with multiple ships and planes, leading me to assume it was related to the game's system resources being strained. However, I just completed two sea trial patrols which involved transiting Golden Gate to Mare Island, a route along which there are 2x-3x more contacts than Truk or the Inland Sea, all of which the Balao's watch insisted in cataloging in excruciating detail. No CTD, despite my efforts at max TC.

Incidentally, PB, I just had a third assignment to Truk. You recall the issue posted from the first one, the Yamato convoy E of Dublon. The second assignment went more normally: ambushed an exiting convoy at the SW approaches which had been still inside the atoll when detected, then penetrated the harbor and sinking anchored capital ships (and a frozen MPF once). Each time the game CTDed as I nearly escaped the lagoon, which I attributed to system resource constraints. It's almost as if the game refuses to allow harbor raiding there. Eventually I declined the raid and went N, where I discovered a frozen Shokaku and modern passenger transport. Sank both, then proceeded back to Mare Island to start sea trials (although this was the Balao we'd just upgraded to). No CTD.

Anyway, patrol 3 is in early stages of recon, circumnavigating the atoll, but advanced enough to note a pattern that might be worthwhile:
Patrol 1: Two warships reported individually via Magic as moving at 5 kts, although within the harbors.
Patrol 2: Two warships reported individually via Magic as stationary.
Patrol 3: Two warships reported individually via Magic; one at 5 kts, one stationary.

Patrol 3 is 8/19/43, ex-Mare Island, assigned to the Carolines. Presumably the home port will be changed during this assignment.

FWIW, kudos on:
- Adding Tulagi as a base, though I've lost it again on the upgrade. Oddly, there's the option after the first sea trial patrol of transferring to Brisbane (and only Brisbane).
- The aerial spectacles in assignments to the Dampier/Vitiaz Straits region. I'd only seen similar north of the Marianas in 1945, and then only briefly and unpredictably.
Truk has a group that is set to spawn about every week that is supposed to travel south for Kavieng. The supposition is that since it is mistakenly pointed north for its spawn location, and then has to turn to go south, that it then drives through the existing "Docked" ships in the area. Since you are far enough away from where it spawns for it to do so, but not close enough for the 3D render, that's why we aren't seeing the evidence of that particular group. Or, maybe it doesn't manifest itself until after the turn has been made. Really don't know. However, when we set the particular group to spawn at 100% at 0700 hours, we can guarantee that at 0715 hours, things begin to deteriorate rapidly. Set the errant group correctly, and 99% of the issues go away. The air activity over the western end of New Britain, eastern end of New Guinnea coincide with the New Guinea campaign and the increased Troop ships in the area at the time. If you happen to be just north of Vitiaz at the right time, you'll see a bunch of B-25s taking out all of the targets you have acquired and worked so hard to gain a good shooting position on... lol - North of the Mariannas, beginning in 1945, you should see "B17s Over the Pacific", with smoke trails, as they emulate B29 groups headed for the Empire Home Waters... As for the Balao, if you get it early, you go to Mare Island. The first available location after that for the Balao is Brisbane. Later, Pearl is available also, but all Balaos from Mare, at this time, go to Brisbane. After that, you should be able to go to Pearl.

Old 01-16-21, 04:50 PM   #2571
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
As for the Balao, if you get it early, you go to Mare Island. The first available location after that for the Balao is Brisbane. Later, Pearl is available also, but all Balaos from Mare, at this time, go to Brisbane. After that, you should be able to go to Pearl.
Yes, Brisbane was the only option after the first trial; after the second, a few days later, we could have also transferred to Pearl or Midway, but decided to see how the scenario would play out by sending us to Brisbane, which it did halfway through the first assignment.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 05:41 PM   #2572
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
... took the slow boat to China approach of entering the base, meaning 1/3 ahead.... Took Me some time to cover all that distance what with repeated shallow water alerts & added to the mix of ship spotted X bearing & distance... but I persevered.

Waited a bit, after calling for all stop, before I chose the dock & end patrol.

Imagine my surprise, when in base office, clicking on the map after doing a spot check to see if there were any improvements I could do, before setting out on the next patrol... which there were none... of CTD'ing right after clicking on the map... ...
Do you happen to still have your Save folder from this one MM? We have not found the issue via "conventional" methods, besides, we broke the rubber hose...

Old 01-16-21, 06:20 PM   #2573
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Do you happen to still have your Save folder from this one MM? We have not found the issue via "conventional" methods, besides, we broke the rubber hose...
Not sure if I would still or NOT.

With that occurrence, I did NOT have any save points between Lamon Bay & RTB'ing @ Surabaya. (the CTD occured right after I had docked & did all that as described that you quoted Me on, by the way) after getting the all clear message of completion), after such, I hot footed it from there to Surabaya to dock in & then proceed to the Next patrol... & I forgot to do a pre RTB save, as well to boot... I know.. I know... keel haul the offender...

When I clicked on the map.. well... CTD'ville happened...

As I recall, I reloaded from being located in the Lamon Bay area, working on finishing the large diameter revisit mission... (of which I had with the very last save I did early on, as it was...). I then finished the add on objective, got the all clear on it being completed & saved then & there...

Got about 1/2 way to Surabaya, did another save then just before getting near Surabaya, I did a RTB save. Proceeded to make for the base, got the pop up for docking & then did so, for the 2nd time...

Only difference was this time, after doing a quick lookie lou to see if there were any upgrades (which there wasn't) I then did a save in office, before clicking on the map yet again.. this time... NO CTD... & proceeded from there.

Soo... again, not sure if the save that gave Me the CTD while in office, is still around or not...

I can check & see... if it by some miracle, is still in there... I can then see of forwarding it to you. for your perusal...

M. M.

Post edit... :

Ok, just checked the save folder, then did a look see after loading up SH4-FotRSU-Nippon, cross checked My saves there in the 'load' section...

is a big gap between the save for when I was done with the 2nd Lamon Bay visit... & the RTB save... think what occurred was I thought of doing a save 1/2 way to Surabaya.. but didn't... BUT... I do have the save still there, when I was 50% done with the 2nd trip to Lamon though... as well as all the saves from starting that career til the 50% completion of the 2nd visit to Lamon Bay.

If you want, I can make a copy of the save folder in its entirety, & zip it, then ship it off to you... minus the other save info after the 50% completion save... to make it easy for you to look through...

M. M.

Post-post edit... :

Made copy of the save folder, in its entirety, (all saves still in it, I forgo'ed editing it... & just left it as is now.). Game save date on the RTB is 2021-01-10 @ 14:57:16, wrote that info down.

The save I did, just before completion of the 2nd Lamon Bay visit is 2021-01-07 (didn't write down the time stamp, BUT, do remember off the top of Me head the exact date of it though... after shutting down the game...)

As it stands, I have the save folder copy, 7 zipped... just awaiting how to get it to you...so you can peruse it...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-16-21 at 07:30 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 07:40 PM   #2574
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Bougainville Coastwatcher mission

how long after the radio message to go and get the bougainville coastwatchers
will they actually appear?

as it happens we were only a few hours away when the radio message came through and we are sitting on top of the lifepreserver icon but there is no coastwatcher. i suspect that it will appear as a "survivor", no?

anyway, when does that thing we are supposed to rescue show up?

LAA enabled
Old 01-16-21, 10:37 PM   #2575
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Funny Thing Happened on the way to Sagami Wan

First, let me say that the NipponMaru addon is just excellent! Nice to see names that I recognize associated with the targets. And the somewhat revised (more alphabetized) Recog Manual is easier to use.

Now for a very small thing I found on my eighth patrol, fourth in Gato, this one out of Tulagi after transfer from Pearl Harbor. Assigned to patrol Area 5 (a carryover objective from Pearl). Left Tulagi March 27, 1943 and made it to Area 5 ok. After sinking a number of freighters (about 38,000 tons) in and around the bay to the North of the assignment flag, I decided to head up to Sagami Wan. Before I even got on a new course, Sonar detected a warship heading my way on April 12, 1943 at 16:10; it was at position 138-35E; 034-31N, and on inspection turned out to be an Armed Dahatsu 25mm (I think, because the picture in the manual doesn't show AA guns).

Anyway I could see 3 crewmen, one each on the two AA guns, and the "driver" for want of a more technical term. Then I saw a fourth crewman, walking behind the boat. I thought it might be the Japanese version of Jesus! As I watched, he strolled out on the water about a boat length or a little more, then turned and went back to the boat and stood beside the "driver" for a few seconds, then walked back out on the water. Kind of comical to watch, but I don't think it was what you intended.

Other than that, I love everything about v1.39 and the NipponMaru mods. You all have outdone yourselves. Can't wait to see what missions the Tulagi base will get for me. Adding Tulagi will no doubt erase some of the sameness you can get from career repetition.

I know you said not to use other mods, but I'm stubborn and used the environmental mods I've been using all along with FOTRSU. None of them change the play or boat files other than perhaps the sonar lines:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN
399_NoScrollNavMap
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
901_strategic_map_symbols
FotRSU_NipponMaru_Public_Beta_v1.1_Build

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 12:41 AM   #2576
propbeanie

Quote:
... Soo... If you want, I can make a copy of the save folder in its entirety, & zip it, then ship it off to you... minus the other save info after the 50% completion save... to make it easy for you to look through...
Well, unfortunately, the Save most likely will no longer have the information, since it would have to have been one from inside the base, either after the CTD when clicking on the map, or the upon returning to base, when you dock. Those are over-written each time in and out... I'll just keep digging in the Sargo assignments for the time frame. Thanks for the help though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
how long after the radio message to go and get the bougainville coastwatchers
will they actually appear?

as it happens we were only a few hours away when the radio message came through and we are sitting on top of the lifepreserver icon but there is no coastwatcher. i suspect that it will appear as a "survivor", no?

anyway, when does that thing we are supposed to rescue show up?
Did you happen to get a "if they don't show up, try again in 24 hours" kind of message, something to that effect? If so, then they might not show at all. Generally speaking, in most of the missions of this type in FotRSU, there is a "trigger" used that when your submarine passes a certain point, it will spawn the "target" subject. To change things up a bit, you might be instructed to withdraw to the east, or some other direction, so that you do hit a trigger area, that is then far enough away from the pickup location for the 'target" to spawn. But not always. There are a couple of missions where you will not get anyone to pickup, which is what happened in real life, in spite of there having been multiple attempts at rendezvous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
First, let me say that the NipponMaru addon is just excellent! Nice to see names that I recognize associated with the targets. And the somewhat revised (more alphabetized) Recog Manual is easier to use.

Now for a very small thing ... an Armed Dahatsu 25mm (I think, because the picture in the manual doesn't show AA guns).

Anyway I could see 3 crewmen, one each on the two AA guns, and the "driver" for want of a more technical term. Then I saw a fourth crewman, walking behind the boat. I thought it might be the Japanese version of Jesus! As I watched, he strolled out on the water about a boat length or a little more, then turned and went back to the boat and stood beside the "driver" for a few seconds, then walked back out on the water. Kind of comical to watch, but I don't think it was what you intended...
That was actually a fellow by the name of Peter that you saw out behind the Daihatsu. The wonder of it all is that I just saw that the day before, and s7rikeback saw it earlier today, and he already has the "fix" for that already in. Thank you for that report, and thanks for the praise...

Old 01-17-21, 01:00 AM   #2577
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: save file of CTD occurrence after docking...

Quote:
Soo... If you want, I can make a copy of the save folder in its entirety, & zip it, then ship it off to you... minus the other save info after the 50% completion save... to make it easy for you to look through...
Quote:
Well, unfortunately, the Save most likely will no longer have the information, since it would have to have been one from inside the base, either after the CTD when clicking on the map, or the upon returning to base, when you dock. Those are over-written each time in and out... I'll just keep digging in the Sargo assignments for the time frame. Thanks for the help though!
Ahoy, propbeanie...

Dang nab it...

If I'd have known it was vital to have kept that save around... I'd have made the copy of the save folder beforehand before doing that reload before the dock, office map crash occurrence & would still have it around... *sigh*

Ahhh well... sorry...

Will file that away for future reference, in case it crops up again...

M. M.

Old 01-17-21, 11:50 AM   #2578
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Did you happen to get a "if they don't show up, try again in 24 hours" kind of message, something to that effect? If so, then they might not show at all.
No, no 24 hour message was received.

Quote:
Generally speaking, in most of the missions of this type in FotRSU, there is a "trigger" used that when your submarine passes a certain point, it will spawn the "target" subject. To change things up a bit, you might be instructed to withdraw to the east, or some other direction, so that you do hit a trigger area, that is then far enough away from the pickup location for the 'target" to spawn. But not always. There are a couple of missions where you will not get anyone to pickup, which is what happened in real life, in spite of there having been multiple attempts at rendezvous.
No, no "withdraw to the east and re-try at a later date" message was received.
this is last message we received. Note the date: July 9. The current date is July 14.
Based on your reply above, there is every possibility that "they" are not coming and that we should shove off and press on with the next task?

[Log Entry 21]
Type=0
EntryText=From: COMSUBPAC|To: USS Sargo (SS-188)|XXX THE AGENT YOU HELPED LAND IN ADLER BAY IS REQUESTING IMMEDIATE EXFILTRATION X YOU ARE TO PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO THE ORIGINAL INSERTION AREA AND PICK UP THE AGENT AND THOSE LEFT OF HIS ENTOURAGE X LAST WORD THEY WERE IN THE BOAT HEADED SOUTHEAST FROM THE POINT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE ORIGINAL INSERTION AREA X THEY ARE BEING AGGRESSIVELY PURSUED X IT IS REQUESTED YOU HURRY X
EntryTitle=01:06 Radio Message
Date=19420709
Time=106
Categ=3

LAA enabled
Old 01-17-21, 01:49 PM   #2579
propbeanie

Quote:
Ahoy, propbeanie...

Dang nab it...

If I'd have known it was vital to have kept that save around... I'd have made the copy of the save folder beforehand before doing that reload before the dock, office map crash occurrence & would still have it around... *sigh*

Ahhh well... sorry...

Will file that away for future reference, in case it crops up again...

M. M.

No problem. Not vital to the operation... lol - We'll find it another way eventually. All it takes is a little patience, and knowing the correct incantation, where to stand, and to have the planets aligned properly with a harvest blue moon... quite rare, but it does happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
No, no 24 hour message was received.

No, no "withdraw to the east and re-try at a later date" message was received.
this is last message we received. Note the date: July 9. The current date is July 14.
Based on your reply above, there is every possibility that "they" are not coming and that we should shove off and press on with the next task?

[Log Entry 21]
Type=0
EntryText=From: COMSUBPAC|To: USS Sargo (SS-188)|XXX THE AGENT YOU HELPED LAND IN ADLER BAY IS REQUESTING IMMEDIATE EXFILTRATION X YOU ARE TO PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO THE ORIGINAL INSERTION AREA AND PICK UP THE AGENT AND THOSE LEFT OF HIS ENTOURAGE X LAST WORD THEY WERE IN THE BOAT HEADED SOUTHEAST FROM THE POINT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE ORIGINAL INSERTION AREA X THEY ARE BEING AGGRESSIVELY PURSUED X IT IS REQUESTED YOU HURRY X
EntryTitle=01:06 Radio Message
Date=19420709
Time=106
Categ=3
They are most likely gone then... That is one of a few cases where the raft is set to a 1.5 knot "drift", and travels in the direction indicated (from that point of land in the drop zone, in this case). I'll add a "break-off if not found within 24 hours", or some-such to it.

Old 01-17-21, 02:05 PM   #2580
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
They are most likely gone then... That is one of a few cases where the raft is set to a 1.5 knot "drift", and travels in the direction indicated (from that point of land in the drop zone, in this case). I'll add a "break-off if not found within 24 hours", or some-such to it.
ok, cool.

i took a look at the mission and the raft is available from like June 1, 1942 until the end of the war however the Contact Report Position time is a Minus 1. ReportPosMin=-1

remind me: what does that mean?

also, the raft is set at zero speed but it has two waypoints? aren't those mutually exclusive?

LAA enabled