SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-21, 01:51 PM   #916
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do you have anything added to the Data / Sound / Radio folder, or is just the "Washington" radio in there? You do have to "tune" the radio to the particular "channel" you want your radio station on, so Washington is Freq 22, but the game should "default" to it.<snip>
Thank you for your quick response.

No there is nothing else other than the defaults which appears to be the content from DW.

Here is a full list of what's in there:
https://pastebin.com/g3aRzk2d

EDIT: I just had more time on my hand and I added a second radio channel as a mod to try whether multi-channel makes a difference. Found an old one sitting on my nas called 'Radio Paris French Music Full Version 1.2'. I added it in, discovered Previous/Next Channel button is not doing its job.
Closed the game down, modified the .ini file and changed the channels around so Paris became 1st frequency and top-of-file radio channel. Washington became 2nd (and last) channel.
Radio now starts with Paris (mouse hover on radio logo at top left corner of radio icon) shows it is the "Paris channel" that's supposed to be playing but as usual there is no sound coming out of it.
I checked my settings, radio is checked (as in enabled) and its volume is set to max (most right). I will do further testing as radio channels is a big part of immersion for me. Hopefully will get to the bottom of this.

Test #1: I started from scratch with sh4 (Stock_game_installation_patched_with_U-Boat_Missions_Addon).
Result #1: American side radio OK & German side radio OK (OK means radio channel 'Washington' is playing music fine) -- confirms my starting point is not faulty/broken.

Test #2: Then I copied in Dark Waters v.6.7 (file hash values below) but this time rather than copy-in-everything as one would normally do, I excluded 'OM_DarkWaters_V6\Data\Sound\Radio' directory (and its children) completely.
Result #2: I still got the DW's modified-radio-icon and it didn't play anything.

Test #3: Copied in remaining Radio directory (and its children) making this a proper DW v.6.7 installation [which is what I was asking about in my original post].
Result #3: As expected, same input thus same output - DW's modified-radio-icon is there but default radio Washington is not playing anything (I was just triple checking a new DW-mod-install here in case I had a corrupt one etc.)

Test #4: Started again from scratch with sh4 (Stock_game_installation_patched_with_U-Boat_Missions_Addon) and copied in & activated OM with: OpsMonsun_V705 + OMv705_to_V720 + OMv720_Patch5.
Result #4: Test Result: Radio icon is back to default and radio Washington is playing fine.

This is the mod file I am using:
File: OM_DarkWaters_V6.7z
CRC-32: 27b0367b
MD5: ba9db5cebd5cd03801dfc8e0b62232b8
SHA-1: a2b1095bd0c3ed74ec2c6cf7a40f238a71731aab
SHA-256: 4c5b09d786bad0a5c26ac19284b28513ed2eb28a5597ac6e66 3c6002df66ab00
SHA-512: 9023fc615f5deb87371d7adb235f2c9e53ad3e614f2ebab57e 3e690683c6e9923c78cf5f709fc0cba6f81dae0e7598e3ef33 262f8a5071ed1e96ec011c751906

edit1: clarify quoted post is snipped.
edit2: add 'paris radio' notes.
edit3: typo fix
edit4: test conditions & results added.

Last edited by themrwho; 03-01-21 at 05:34 PM.
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 05:35 PM   #917
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
with that incendiary language of looting and rioting.

Yeah - that's strictly for the US Capitol!
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 05:46 PM   #918
themrwho
Torpedoman

First, this is not a stab at DW as I think you did an amazing job here and this mod is really great and I love it!

That being said all indicators about my radio-not-playing issue was pointing at DW as the culprit. It is important for me as it is a huge part of immersion for my taste (I am aware of gramophone and using it extensively in addition to the radio; my radio+gramophone mod dir size is 15 GB+) but I needed both.

Acting on this assumption that a DW modification broke it I reverted the radio back to OM and as I had hoped, radio started working fine instantly. Sharing this here in case someone else experiences the same problem - I have had to spend a few hours on it...

Radio is either one subcomponent that got lost on the way somehow or an alternative theory is maybe it is somehow broken on my end although I can't quite fathom how that can be the case as I was simply restoring a pre-existing (years old) 7zip archive which contains basegame-patched-with-ubm. Taking that as base,
-If you put OM on top of that base archive, it works fine (although buggy).
-If you put DW on top, everything is better but radio stops working.

Anyhow, my problem is now solved and I am a very happy DW player again. Thanks to propbeanie for quick assistance offer earlier.

For me, it's hunting time!
Old 03-02-21, 05:23 AM   #919
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey now! hey how! watch your language, son!!!!
what went on last year was peaceful but fiery protests.
don't impugn us, boy, with that incendiary language of looting and rioting.

ok, i won’t impugn y’all.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 09:41 AM   #920
themrwho
Torpedoman

Hi all,

I noticed the loading screen image for the version 6.7 still says "V5". I changed it to "6.7" & dropped the letter 'V' as per embedded screenshot below.

If anybody wants it, DDS Image file dowload link: https://hostr.co/XjJLsBp92HRn
Place it in your "Data\Menu\Loading" directory using the original name (i.e.: overwrite the existing file 'Intro_logo_bkg.dds').
Needless to say credits to the original owners fifi & DW team.

If you wish to preview the file without firing up Silent Hunter 4, you can use the free Nvidia > Developer Tools > Windows Texture Viewer utility.
Nvidia Windows Texture Viewer Download link is at the bottom of the page here: https://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools

As the Nvidia utility is provided a RAR (archive) file you will need 7zip or similar utility to unarchive (unrar/unzip) it, you can get free 7zip from here: https://www.7-zip.org

Version number bumped to 6.7 preview picture:

Thanks for this great mod.

Edit: Adding file checksum values for below verification purposes (in case hosting provider injects something).
If you have never used this before, you can get a free utility such as this one and then right click on a file in Windows Explorer to get its checksum values https://github.com/gurnec/HashCheck
File: Intro_logo_bkg.dds
CRC-32: 88bc132e
MD5: fe57bfcf23cea75254589a5294d55c23
SHA-1: 12df62a9d5ea09029ac92995895aac5cf813c7bf
SHA-256: 76d67c5fae8cffa94efefb382f277127637f236fa54b0f3ba6 c0b477743f151d
SHA-512: a1f5744c51af2955531b559677fba84c876685adde22b78c76 51e3527444a80b07f3f45ac5121f5a244a1797a350bd62cbfd 1c181214655152dab91639e78f16
Old 03-03-21, 08:47 AM   #921
DeathOrGlory
Swabbie

Downloads: 40

Hi, just wondering if it's possible to fix the ship recognition manual? In my game it seems that half the ships in it are greyed out when I want to look at 20, 45 degree view of merchant shipping for example.

Thank you!
DeathOrGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 10:44 AM   #922
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22

I can't wait until Germany declares war on the US so I don't have to worry about those damned "neutrals."
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 04:57 PM   #923
murat124
Watch

Downloads: 149

@themrwho the latest version is V6. I think you are confused with the 7zip archive.
murat124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 09:58 PM   #924
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by murat124 View Post
@themrwho the latest version is V6. I think you are confused with the 7zip archive.
Unlikely. What's more likely is either you are confused or didn't read my message properly

I am saying that I already downloaded that v.6 archive and noticed that the Loading Screen image contained therein reads "V5" (rather than V6).
Are you saying that you downloaded the same file and have a V6 Loading Screen in it?
Old 03-04-21, 06:40 AM   #925
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrwho View Post
Unlikely. What's more likely is either you are confused or didn't read my message properly

I am saying that I already downloaded that v.6 archive and noticed that the Loading Screen image contained therein reads "V5" (rather than V6).
Are you saying that you downloaded the same file and have a V6 Loading Screen in it?
No, what they are saying is... that Op. Monsun: Dark Waters is 'v6' ONLY... it is NOT v6.7, as you have it in that screen shot.

Fifi, did acknowledge that they erred when they released the last version of tagging the load screen with it saying v5, they forgot to bump up the version # by 1 digit.

So, again, there is NO .7 at the end of the version #, it is just flat out 6 only.

Hope this helps clarify that point...

M. M.

Old 03-04-21, 07:20 AM   #926
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
No, what they are saying is... that Op. Monsun: Dark Waters is 'v6' ONLY... it is NOT v6.7, as you have it in that screen shot.

Fifi, did acknowledge that they erred when they released the last version of tagging the load screen with it saying v5, they forgot to bump up the version # by 1 digit.

So, again, there is NO .7 at the end of the version #, it is just flat out 6 only.

Hope this helps clarify that point...

M. M.

It was my own fault, i forgot to change the V5 on the loading screen.
Even saying V5 on loading screen, it is the V6 version
I admit it could be confusing but not game breaker.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 07:50 AM   #927
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Yes, Fifi uses "V" prefix for version, then a single digit to indicate the major version as in 5 or 6 - that is clear to me. No need for an explanation on that as it's a simple observation - I do appreciate your effort though.

In the post I replied to, they were claiming I was confused so what I am saying is "I am not _confused_ by/with the 7zip archive"; really there is nothing to be confused about a forgotten version bump, obviously not a "critical bug" just a visual thing which should cause zero gameplay issues. I fixed it for me and posted the fix in case somebody else wants it. Confusion meter is zero.

The reason I changed that loading screen image locally in my installation is because personally I prefer to see what I'm loading (just a personal taste) so again I fixed it *just for me* and since it's already done, shared the outcome, in case somebody else wants to drop the updated file into their installation to address this trivial cosmetic issue, until an update is out...

Quote:
Cool, I read past posts in this thread but there is a lot of backlog, progressing slowly from oldest to newest and I did not see that message from Fifi prior to my post - thanks for confirming dev has already acknowledged in the past. I see that Fifi also posted just today on the matter.

Quote:
With regards to the version convention in my edit not matching Fifi's original one: Yes, I am well aware. My file is my own edit -primarily- for my own taste so I wanted to be specific with my minor version even though I realise it is a discrepancy with the official convention used by Fifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
It was my own fault, i forgot to change the V5 on the loading screen.
Even saying V5 on loading screen, it is the V6 version
I admit it could be confusing but not game breaker.
Indeed not too important, certainly not a game breaker, thanks for all you've done - it is great and I am enjoying it immensely.
Old 03-06-21, 07:52 AM   #928
VDraculaV
Seaman

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Started Dark Waters for the first time yesterday and.... WOW!!!
I was speachless how incredible this mod is. Its truly a gamechanger!

Just want to say THANK YOU to all the guys who made this awesome mod.

Can i buy you a coffee or beer somehow?
VDraculaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 09:12 AM   #929
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDraculaV View Post
Started Dark Waters for the first time yesterday and.... WOW!!!
I was speachless how incredible this mod is. Its truly a gamechanger!

Just want to say THANK YOU to all the guys who made this awesome mod.

Can i buy you a coffee or beer somehow?
Thank you, glad people still enjoying it

Ok for a beer
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 05:00 PM   #930
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Ahoy, themrwho...

No worries.

Thought there may have been some confusion with that on the loading screen & that got crossed over when you did your load screen.

Now that I have a clearer understanding of things.. acknowledge that...

Main thing is, that you have it up & running with no issues.

Of which I am glad..

With that...

Gute jagd, ihr Himmelhunde

M. M.