SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-07, 02:39 PM   #1
R48
Loader

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
ALT-TAB Framerate drop

This isn't a bug with MoBO, but it does affect my use of it. I'm finding with SH4 (as well as SH3), that if I ALT-TAB in and out of the game 6 or 7 times my framerate takes a bad dive. I go from 35+ to 8 fps. The only way I can return to normal is by saving the game, exiting the program, then returning and loading the saved game. Of course that means if I tab out a few times it happens again. I have a 2 gigs of RAM so I am surprised this happens. I doubt I can use MoBo with this situation.

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-07, 03:21 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Sounds odd...

I haven't noticed any drop in frame rate. Trying to think what might even cause that. Are you adjusting the transparency in MoBo, that's about the only thing I can think of that might stress the graphics card.

Have you tried alt-tabbing out of the games a few times and NOT running MoBo just to see if it's an op system setting that could maybe be adjusted?

Personally, I run MoBo side-by-side with SH in windowed mode and I haven't noticed any significant differences in SH frame rate when I return to the game.
Old 06-15-07, 03:29 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Please excuse my stupity but, what is mobo but an abbrev. for motherboard?

Edit: Sorry figured smewhat what it is.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
Old 06-15-07, 03:33 PM   #4
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Please excuse my stupity but, what is mobo but an abbrev. for motherboard?
It's also an abbreviation for Maneuvering Board
Old 06-15-07, 03:44 PM   #5
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

@ R48...

I've been reading on forums of 'other games' that repeated Alt-Tabbing can cause frame rate drops due to the game/graphics card eating up the op system paging file. Also, it's not something that can typically be solved by just throwing extra RAM at it... if it gobbles up 2gigs it'll be happy to continue gobbling more.

From what I've read, it seems that video card drivers and the game software have a lot to do with the paging file and memory. All I can suggest is to make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and if you have your PF usage set a certain way, try increasing it or setting it back to system managed.

You can check or change your PF usage settings under:
Control panel: System | advanced | performance settings | advanced | virtual memory, click change, and click system managed size, and then restart your computer
Old 06-15-07, 03:46 PM   #6
R48
Loader

Quote:
I haven't noticed any drop in frame rate. Trying to think what might even cause that. Are you adjusting the transparency in MoBo, that's about the only thing I can think of that might stress the graphics card.Have you tried alt-tabbing out of the games a few times and NOT running MoBo just to see if it's an op system setting that could maybe be adjusted?
Yes. I've been trying it without MoBo to make sure it wasn't something with the program. It happens without MoBo in the background. So it's something on my end that causes this.
Old 06-15-07, 03:51 PM   #7
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R48
Quote:
I haven't noticed any drop in frame rate. Trying to think what might even cause that. Are you adjusting the transparency in MoBo, that's about the only thing I can think of that might stress the graphics card.Have you tried alt-tabbing out of the games a few times and NOT running MoBo just to see if it's an op system setting that could maybe be adjusted?
Yes. I've been trying it without MoBo to make sure it wasn't something with the program. It happens without MoBo in the background. So it's something on my end that causes this.

Yeah... I think we were cross posting here... check my response up one from yours. Maybe adjust your page file usage settings.
Old 06-15-07, 04:14 PM   #8
R48
Loader

Quote:
I've been reading on forums of 'other games' that repeated Alt-Tabbing can cause frame rate drops due to the game/graphics card eating up the op system paging file. Also, it's not something that can typically be solved by just throwing extra RAM at it... if it gobbles up 2gigs it'll be happy to continue gobbling more.
That's interesting. I never knew about this. Taking a look at my page file settings I have "custom size" Initial size 1536 MB and maximum size 3072 MB. I thought I had it on system managed because I don't recall changing it. Perhaps using system managed will help.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-15-07, 06:20 PM   #9
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R48
Quote:
That's interesting. I never knew about this. Taking a look at my page file settings I have "custom size" Initial size 1536 MB and maximum size 3072 MB. I thought I had it on system managed because I don't recall changing it. Perhaps using system managed will help.

Thanks for the suggestions!
R48

The following is from "Black Vipers" Tweaks, I highly recommend it

Adjust the Page File to a respectable level. This is valid for Windows XP Home and Pro.

Can you get rid of the page file? Yes and no. If you have a boat load of memory (greater than 512 MB, but I recommend 2 GB) you may be able to function just fine. Some games REQUIRE a certain amount of swap space to be created to even run, no matter how much RAM is available. Also, under certain conditions, my sound card goes crazy (or does not function) in some games with no swap file (oddly enough, Age of Empires 2). If you decide to test your luck with no swap space or page file, you are on your own. Please do not E-Mail me with your war stories about no swap. Every system is different. I usually do not have one "unless something requires it that I am running that day."

Where do you find it?

With the default Category Control Panel:

1. Head to Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select Performance and Maintenance
4. Select System
5. Select Advanced Tab
6. Under Performance, select the Settings button
7. Select Advanced Tab
8. Under Virtual Memory, select the Change button
9. Adjust as needed, or select "No paging File," then select the Set button
10. Select the Ok button to apply the settings
11. You must reboot for the changes to take effect

With the Classic Control Panel:

1. Head to Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Select Advanced Tab
5. Under Performance, select the Settings button
6. Select Advanced Tab
7. Under Virtual Memory, select the Change button
8. Adjust as needed, or select "No paging File," then select the Set button
9. Select the Ok button to apply the settings
10. You must reboot for the changes to take effect

Screen shots of the process are also available.

If anything, create (preferably on a separate partition), a swap space of constant size. For example, select Custom Size and place 1000 in "Initial" and 1000 in "Maximum" Size boxes, then click Set Button. This will reduce the amount of work needed to dynamically resize the page file, usually when you need it most.

Some deffinitions need to be explained:

Physical RAM ~ The amount of Memory installed on a system. Physical RAM is "way" faster than a "swap file" or "swap space."

Swap File ~ The file that is located on your hard drive that "acts" like Physical RAM but is way slower.

Virtual Memory ~ The name used for the sum of Physical RAM and the Swap File. In other words: Physical RAM + Swap File = Virtual Memory. You cannot "disable" Virtual Memory even if you disable the Swap File. Meaning, 2 GB RAM + 0 MB Swap File = 2 GB Virtual Memory.

From Fastest to Slowest, these are the configuration you can try:

* No swap file at all. Some software may fail. You also need "much" memory to do this. Greater than 512 MB, but I recommend 2 GB.
* A static swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A static swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* The Default: A dynamic swap file on the same partition and physical hard drive (usually C as Windows.

Many factors affect performance of the I/O and Hard Drive system. Namely, "where" on the drive the particular swap partition is located, as well as fragmentation of the swap file itself.
Benchmark using Unreal Tournament 2003 "Benchmark.exe" and various swap configs:
System = P4 1.8 w/768 MB PC-133 Memory and a GF3
No Swap File System Managed Static (1150MB)
No Swap File System Managed Static (1150 MB)
Benchmark using Unreal Tournament 2003 "Benchmark.exe" and various swap configs:
System = P4 3.06 w/512 MB PC-1066 Memory and a ATI 9700 Pro
No Swap File No Swap File
No Swap File Static (1150 MB)

As you can see, graphics card benchmarks are "not affected" by the status of a page file in these configurations. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you during game play and on your system.

If you have not already, reboot now.
Old 06-16-07, 01:56 PM   #10
R48
Loader

Thanks for the additional help. I'll be trying these suggestions.