SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-21, 01:49 PM   #1
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338
Uploads: 0
Default TITANIC Shipwreck Exploration Mod

Last edited by U-190; 03-17-21 at 08:18 AM.
U-190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 04:07 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

For sure, the name of your mod sounds appealing. Nonetheless, the real Titanic shipwreck rests under 12,500 feet of water, whereas German U-boats could dive 1,310 ft below the water level, at max.

Without spoiling the surprise for the most daring U-boat captains among us, can you please explain how such an extreme mod will enhance our gaming experience?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:54 PM   #3
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
For sure, the name of your mod sounds appealing. Nonetheless, the real Titanic shipwreck rests under 12,500 feet of water, whereas German U-boats could dive 1,310 ft below the water level, at max.

Without spoiling the surprise for the most daring U-boat captains among us, can you please explain how such an extreme mod will enhance our gaming experience?
I placed it at the approximate location of the sinking within the actual coordinates of the wreck. In the game, the required depth of the search for the ship is 200 meters. If I had placed it at a real depth, we would never have been able to see it without using special equipment equipped with underwater lighting devices.
Old 02-28-21, 11:12 PM   #4
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

I made a dive of 195 meters and saw it. During the dive, I received 4% hull damage..

Last edited by U-190; 03-01-21 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 09:06 AM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-190 View Post
I placed it at the approximate location of the sinking within the actual coordinates of the wreck. In the game, the required depth of the search for the ship is 200 meters. If I had placed it at a real depth, we would never have been able to see it without using special equipment equipped with underwater lighting devices.
Sounds interesting. Probably not a must have mod, but it is good to have it as option

On a side note: unless you imported the wreck as a granny object, it will look completely blurred. This is how the SH5 engine renders dat-format objects underwater. Not a big problem though, since at a depth of 200 m and without artificial illumination there would be little to see anyway
Old 03-01-21, 11:09 AM   #6
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Probably not a must have mod, but it is good to have it as option

On a side note: unless you imported the wreck as a granny object, it will look completely blurred. This is how the SH5 engine renders dat-format objects underwater. Not a big problem though, since at a depth of 200 m and without artificial illumination there would be little to see anyway
Later I still want to add historical shipwrecks. The only problem: where to get the models?
Old 03-01-21, 06:31 PM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Later I still want to add historical shipwrecks. The only problem: where to get the models?
Yes, I was about to suggest the same. Maybe shallower shipwrecks which might have a bigger impact on gameplay. We have plenty of ship models to wreck; they don't need to be 100% accurate
Old 03-02-21, 05:27 AM   #8
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Yes, I was about to suggest the same. Maybe shallower shipwrecks which might have a bigger impact on gameplay. We have plenty of ship models to wreck; they don't need to be 100% accurate
I want to flood U-96 model based on the events of the movie Das Boot. The only problem with the model. I didn't find a ready-made model of a rusty boat lying on its side. It should not contain any third-party textures.
I hope that my idea will interest our community and someone will help me in creating such a model.

Last edited by U-190; 03-02-21 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 07:07 AM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I want to flood U-96 model based on the events of the movie Das Boot. The only problem with the model. I didn't find a ready-made model of a rusty boat lying on its side. It should not contain any third-party textures.
I hope that my idea will interest our community and someone will help me in creating such a model.
I like Das Boot but I am not a big fan of making SH5 a replica of the movie. I would rather focus of real wrecks within a depth of 100 m at max. My suggestion is to start from vessels that are known to have sunk in shallow waters or run aground on sand banks
Old 03-02-21, 07:44 AM   #10
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
I like Das Boot but I am not a big fan of making SH5 a replica of the movie. I would rather focus of real wrecks within a depth of 100 m at max. My suggestion is to start from vessels that are known to have sunk in shallow waters or run aground on sand banks
It would be nice to get such a list from you with the location of the wreck and the name of the ship.
Old 03-02-21, 08:25 AM   #11
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
It would be nice to get such a list from you with the location of the wreck and the name of the ship.
https://www.wrecksite.eu/

You can filter search results by date of loss and by depth in search engine here. It will give you hundreds of results though so you might want to pick a bunch of more interesting vessels by googling their names.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 08:29 AM   #12
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post

You can filter search results by date of loss and by depth in search engine here. It will give you hundreds of results though so you might want to pick a bunch of more interesting vessels by googling their names.
Thanks! Let's start reading...
Old 03-02-21, 08:45 AM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post

Yes, that website is a goldmine of information.
Unfortunately it is often down (or probably it limits traffic for free users), but usually it takes not too long for it to be again online, and in the meanwhile cache copies of its pages can be accessed from google
Old 03-02-21, 10:27 AM   #14
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Very nice, but I prefer an Olympic class navigating in TWoS, as a troop transport, and sink it...I want targets

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 11:52 AM   #15
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Very nice, but I prefer an Olympic class navigating in TWoS, as a troop transport, and sink it...I want targets

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
Take a Olympic-class... target, decimate her polycount and strip her down of all the redundant stuff (we don't need super detailed models for this job), crack her hull where it applies, add a lot of fouling/rust to her texture, import the model in game as a land unit or as land object rather than as a ship, and her you go, from a liner which we can sink we got a wreck which we can collide. Two doves with one bean