SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-20, 12:14 PM   #1
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5
Default How to make a copy of SH4

This will be for future references when fellow subsimers want to make a copy of SH4.
I use the Steam version of SH4, so I will not be able to help you if you use the Uplay version of SH4.

DO NOT INSTALL STEAM OR SH4 IN THE PROGRAM FILES DIRECTORY!

First off, you cannot simply just copy the game out of the "steamapps/common" pathway and into another folder, you have to make a new game library which is what I did. If you have two or more hard drives on your computer, this will be easy.

If you have more than one hard drive, view this post
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=5223

If you have only one hard drive, here is how to make a new library

1. Navigate to your Steam location, which should be (Program Files (x86)/ Steam/)
2. Delete everything inside of the folder EXCEPT steam.exe, steamapps folder, userdata folder.
3. Copy the remaining folders to a new location which for example would be (C:/Games/Steam)
NOTE: The more games you have, the longer this task will take. For me, I only had 4 installed games at the time when I have 10 available games to download. It took me at least 40 minutes to copy each game and all the contents over.
4. Launch steam.exe. Steam will download the missing content and then you will be asked to put in your password before accessing your Steam content.

That's it. Part one is done.

Now you have all your gams in your Steamapps folder, correct? You have
SH4: U-boat missions add-on installed or the original SH4? I would recommend installing the SH4: UBM because most modern Mega-Mods require UBM and version 1.5.

The original copy of SH4 should never be played, only to make copies from.

Here are two essential apps to make your copy run correctly:
MultiSH4: MultiSH4 makes multiple savegame folders so your TMO or FOTRSU save games do not get mixed up.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/k3o6t5...toroo.zip/file
JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler): Used to enable mods, obviously
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4725

In this tutorial, I will not describe how to make all those programs work, as this tutorial is already pretty long.

Now extract those into your original SH4 folder. DO not launch those programs.

Copy your original SH4 folder into your "Games" folder. For me, my setup is (C:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/ Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific)

I now have a new copy in the location of (C:/Games). Rename it to whatever mod you want to use, for example, I want to use TMO, so I rename it "SH4TMO". Make sure NOT too have any spaces in the folder name, this is IMPORTANT
Launch MultiSH4 and choose your new save game folder name, it cannot be over three letters or numbers. I make a new save game folder called "TMO". Then, launch the JSGME setup and follow the instructions.
Launch JSGME to create your "MODS" folder.

Go into steam and in the bottom left corner is a Plus sign with the words "Add a Game" next to it. Click on the plus sign and click "Add a Non-steam game". A list will pop up, click "Browse" and navigate to your SH4 copy and click on "Sh4.exe" then click "Add Selected Programs"

You now have your SH4 copy in your Steam library. Click "Launch" and it should launch.

Part two will be continued in the next post.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!

Last edited by Texas Red; 02-27-21 at 11:46 PM.
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 12:18 PM   #2
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

When it has launched and you have reached the main menu, exit the game. Cut and paste the game right back into the "Steamapps/common" folder so that way it sits right next to the original SH4 folder.

Now you are done! You can download any mods you want and enable them in JSGME!

I have four copies of SH4 that all run fine, I have SH4TMO, SH4GFO, SH4DW, and SH4FOTRSU.

If you have any issues, let me know!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 06-04-20, 01:40 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One little point about the copy of the game, is you can make a 7zip archive of it, and move it about a pinch faster. Keep that in the Stock folder for safe-keeping. -AND- stay away from a Windows Program Files folder...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 01:43 PM   #4
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Yes, should've put that
Quote:
. -AND- stay away from a Windows Program Files folder...
in there.

Old 02-27-21, 09:52 AM   #5
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
<snip>
First, due to the DRM that SH4 has [emphasis added], you cannot simply just copy the game out of the "steamapps/common" and into another folder, you have to make a new game library which is what I did. <snip>
Hello and thanks for making a guide to help others.

It is however important not to spread misinformation - I am guessing this bolded part in your quoted post above [emphasis mine] is due to outdated knowledge on your part rather than anything else.

There is no DRM in modern Steam version of SH4 therefore I suggest you modify your 1st post and change the statement there.

Here is another post that mentions this fact and many others can be found with a web search or alternatively you could invest 15 minutes to test-install and you will find that no DRM is getting in your way:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...96&postcount=2
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 06:40 PM   #6
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the instructions! Gotta do this. I've got the IJN mod and FOTUS right now have to try out the multish4 program. Afraid to even attempt alternating them without it.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:44 PM   #7
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrwho View Post
Hello and thanks for making a guide to help others.

It is however important not to spread misinformation - I am guessing this bolded part in your quoted post above [emphasis mine] is due to outdated knowledge on your part rather than anything else.

There is no DRM in modern Steam version of SH4 therefore I suggest you modify your 1st post and change the statement there.

Here is another post that mentions this fact and many others can be found with a web search or alternatively you could invest 15 minutes to test-install and you will find that no DRM is getting in your way:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...96&postcount=2
I will change it ASAP, thanks for pointing it out. I would not deliberately spread misinformation, so I think the source I used was wrong.