SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-21, 08:43 AM   #2806
joedit
Nub

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 FOTRS Ultimate V1.1 vs V1.39?

I was playing and enjoying the mega-mod
FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1
and I ran across this newer one
100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN (1.42 GB)
02-17-2020

So I downloaded the V1.39, 1.4GB mod figured 1.39 was better than 1.1 but after I installation it seems to be reverted to the original game. In the banner at startup it does not say "Ultimate Edition" as it did in the V1.1 release. The Museum was complemented with the newer ships but the game menu and missions were from the original SH4, not V1.1.

I do not see the UltimateEdition_v1.1 availiable for download any more.

I am confused as to which is the latest version. Thanks!
joedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 09:31 AM   #2807
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
bullhorn

Now that 1.26p has been out for awhile, I thought I would give some feedback. Over all, the mod shows a nice polish just getting all the bugs and annoyances out of the way. Overall, the graphics show marked improvement! Ships have better texture, detail and a 3d look to them. I'm finding determining AoB much easier by looking at kingposts and masts.

The sea in FotRSU the best looking of all the megamods! Seriously! It flows and reflects sun light and cloud cover naturally. Clouds have more of a 3d look to them. Heavy seas in a storms move the way they should. 5 out of 5 here

The biggest change I've observed is AI. Most large merchants are armed and the crews quite willing to shoot. Enemy crews can sight a periscope head 1500 yds away!! Something I've found interesting, whether it's real or my imagination, gun crews accuracy improves the longer they shoot! This has happened to me a number of times. Spray and pray gives way to loosing my periscope head in short order!

Sinking mechanics appear to have changed too. There's much more standing on bow/stern, slow rolls, secondary explosions and overall, slow sinking that coincides with damage. I haven't split any ships into either. It looks cool, but not too realistic. I do use the Bang for your buck mod because I don't think the default model simulates the Torpex warhead well. My opinion. Explosions, smoke and fire are great.

If I had a vote for a change, it would be for more smoke from the merchant stacks. It would make spotting easier. That's it. I think the way the mod is maturing is great. The team has done a great job.

MacGregor sends Bravo Zulu!

Last edited by Macgregor the Hammer; 03-02-21 at 10:18 AM.
Macgregor the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 10:14 AM   #2808
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedit View Post
02-17-2020

So I downloaded the V1.39, 1.4GB mod figured 1.39 was better than 1.1 but after I installation it seems to be reverted to the original game. In the banner at startup it does not say "Ultimate Edition" as it did in the V1.1 release. The Museum was complemented with the newer ships but the game menu and missions were from the original SH4, not V1.1.

I do not see the UltimateEdition_v1.1 availiable for download any more.

I am confused as to which is the latest version. Thanks!
Suggest you check out the instructions on the first page of this thread. You will find complete instructions for the installation of v1.39. Among them you will find that you need to delete the Save folders from your documents file. In fact, delete the entire SH4 file from your documents is even better. It will remove all vestiges of prior versions and mods from your game. The game will rebuild them the first time you start it. There is so much more, but at least start with reviewing (and following) the instructions. Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 10:23 AM   #2809
ijustwantrisingsun
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Just wanted to say, love the mod, just wondering if there are any plans to rework AI submarines; it seems they are just destroyer AI with a new coat of paint, which gets slightly comical when you have to use more than 1 torpedo on a barely 2,000 ton sub, or running across a midget sub in the middle of the Sea of Japan that suddenly begins chasing you down with active sonar....
ijustwantrisingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 10:27 AM   #2810
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Unusual Guadalcanal Experience

In my firsat patrol out of Fremantle in Thresher on 6/29/42 I went to the assigned area in the Makassar Strait at the Northern choke point. After completing all objectives there, I had almost no torpedos left, and since it was now August, decided to head to Brisbane for a restocking and possible targets up around Guadalcanal.

I restocked and reprovisioned at Brisbane on August 12 and then headed North. Upon arrival in the "canal" vicinity, I took up a position about 8.5 miles West of Savo and 8.5 miles North of Guadalcanal (Cape Esperence?).

Here's the strange part. Other than routine air patrols at various times daily from both NNW and SSE, I saw nothing for the next 2 months! Not one ship of either navy. I saw Henderson Field open up on September 12, and the base at Tulagi open on October 15. Otherwise, nothing. No ships, just planes.

I tried going to the other end of Guadalcanal - still nothing. Radar and Sonar saw no ships! I finally just gave up on game date November 5, reloaded a save from when I was at the Makassar choke point, and finished the patrol from there.

Is it possible I "broke" something by just hanging around? I doubt I was in their spawning spot, because in previous careers I have been steamrolled by strings of IJN supply ships and other DDs from that very spot. Or might it be an effect of the Tulagi stuff you are working on?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN
399_NoScrollNavMap
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
901_strategic_map_symbols
FotRSU_NipponMaru_Public_Beta_v1.1_Build

Old 03-02-21, 10:33 AM   #2811
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
... I would like to edit the CareerStart.upc. would any one be able the tell me what the numbers after the sub name refers to?...

example: IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1Porpoise, 3, F1Tambor, 5, F1Gar, 1
On behalf of the team, and those before us, you are welcome for the mod. As to your question, the "F1" for the Porpoise means "[Flotilla 1]" in the Flotillas.upc file, which is Pearl Harbor. the ", 3" for the same boat means that there are 3 boats available. If you are adding a unique boat for your "blow 'em up" fun, make that last number a ", 1", since there is only the one boat - that follows the Roster / Country / Submarine folder's "SubName.cfg" file [Unit X] section, with the "X" representing a number. Be sure you have the boat's "definition" properly constructed in the correct Flotillas.upc file location, and mission assignments for it to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedit View Post
02-17-2020

So I downloaded the V1.39, 1.4GB mod figured 1.39 was better than 1.1 but after I installation it seems to be reverted to the original game. In the banner at startup it does not say "Ultimate Edition" as it did in the V1.1 release. The Museum was complemented with the newer ships but the game menu and missions were from the original SH4, not V1.1. I do not see the UltimateEdition_v1.1 availiable for download any more. I am confused as to which is the latest version. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Suggest you check out the instructions on the first page of this thread. You will find complete instructions for the installation of v1.39. Among them you will find that you need to delete the Save folders from your documents file. In fact, delete the entire SH4 file from your documents is even better. It will remove all vestiges of prior versions and mods from your game. The game will rebuild them the first time you start it. There is so much more, but at least start with reviewing (and following) the instructions. Good luck!

ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
Now that 1.26p has been out for awhile, I thought I would give some feedback. Over all, the mod shows a nice polish just getting all the bugs and annoyances out of the way. Overall, the graphics show marked improvement! Ships have better texture, detail and a 3d look to them. I'm finding determining AoB much easier by looking at kingposts and masts.

The sea in FotRSU the best looking of all the megamods! Seriously! It flows and reflects sun light and cloud cover naturally. Clouds have more of a 3d look to them. Heavy seas in a storms move the way they should. 5 out of 5 here

The biggest change I've observed is AI. Most large merchants are armed and the crews quite willing to shoot. Enemy crews can sight a periscope head 1500 yds away!! Something I've found interesting, whether it's real or my imagination, gun crews accuracy improves the longer they shoot! This has happened to me a number of times. Spray and pray gives way to loosing my periscope head in short order!

Sinking mechanics appear to have changed too. There's much more standing on bow/stern, slow rolls, secondary explosions and overall, slow sinking that coincides with damage. I haven't split any ships into either. It looks cool, but not too realistic. I do use the Bang for your buck mod because I don't think the default model simulates the Torpex warhead well. My opinion. Explosions, smoke and fire are great.

If I had a vote for a change, it would be for more smoke from the merchant stacks. It would make spotting easier. That's it. I think the way the mod is maturing is great. The team has done a great job.

MacGregor sends Bravo Zulu!
Copy that. The team appreciates that. Version 1.39 is even better, so long as you do not transfer into one of the Advance Base locations... sigh - We are currently working on the next release, and are already about a month behind on releasing it, due to issues with the Flotillas file (the Advance Bases are not cooperating). Doing another build this evening, with hopefully a full set of working Flotillas...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 11:56 AM   #2812
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Thank you for your reply propbeanie. Now I know why I could not find a reference to the numbers. I also have found with v139, that the titan gets holes in it's hull. when attacked. Good job gentlemen.
Again thank you for your assistance with the files. Have a good one

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 12:14 PM   #2813
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

"Copy that. The team appreciates that. Version 1.39 is even better, so long as you do not transfer into one of the Advance Base locations... sigh - We are currently working on the next release, and are already about a month behind on releasing it, due to issues with the Flotillas file (the Advance Bases are not cooperating). Doing another build this evening, with hopefully a full set of working Flotillas... "

I have considered rev'ing up to 1.39. The rubs are giving up a career and the mod limitation. I guess I could set-up another iteration of FotRSU @ 1.39 and see if I like it. I'll think on it....
Old 03-02-21, 01:33 PM   #2814
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
"Copy that. The team appreciates that. Version 1.39 is even better, so long as you do not transfer into one of the Advance Base locations... sigh - We are currently working on the next release, and are already about a month behind on releasing it, due to issues with the Flotillas file (the Advance Bases are not cooperating). Doing another build this evening, with hopefully a full set of working Flotillas... "

I have considered rev'ing up to 1.39. The rubs are giving up a career and the mod limitation. I guess I could set-up another iteration of FotRSU @ 1.39 and see if I like it. I'll think on it....
Ahoy Mac, ol' chum...

Have to say, that despite not being able to utilize the add in mods (outside of adding in the Nippon Maru 1.. that is) is NOT all bad.

Yeah, it may be of losing progress with doing so, not 100% sure that upping from a later version to v1.39 is back compatible... thus far, haven't had any issues with following the chain up to this point so far, until just prior to 1.39 from the 1 before it.

The only down side (for Me, at any rate...) I wear glasses & could really use having more.. upsizing when using either the Uzo, bino's or the peri... which (heck, has been a bit since I've used it, can't recall the name of it right off..) mod to have that. Another mod I used was making it so the telegraph, Compass & the depth gauges dials were bigger helped.. those are what I miss most.

Outside of that, if I remember right, I did explain on how to do more than 1 copy so if you remember that, can do that without any issues. If you need a refresher, hit Me up & I'll gladly go back over it with ya.. No charge..

Sorry, Me weird sense of humor shows up at odd times..

M. M.

Old 03-02-21, 02:56 PM   #2815
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
I would like to edit the CareerStart.upc. would any one be able the tell me what the numbers after the sub name refers to? I have just copied the same numbers from older files for this sub. I would like to know what they mean.
example: IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F1Porpoise, 3, F1Tambor, 5, F1Gar, 1
the number to which you are referring is the number of available boats in the class. i believe it corresponds to the names available is \Data\Roster\Nation\Submarine\SubClass.Cfg.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 06:15 PM   #2816
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustwantrisingsun View Post
Just wanted to say, love the mod, just wondering if there are any plans to rework AI submarines; it seems they are just destroyer AI with a new coat of paint, which gets slightly comical when you have to use more than 1 torpedo on a barely 2,000 ton sub, or running across a midget sub in the middle of the Sea of Japan that suddenly begins chasing you down with active sonar....
doing 23 kts!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 10:39 PM   #2817
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You fellers must have been posting while I was replying earlier... Anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustwantrisingsun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
doing 23 kts!
Well, the Ko Hyoteki could do 19 knots, as could the Sen Taka. Imagine chasing one of those with an Everts...

The AI Subs are basically "destroyers". That is all the game allows. We wanted them to be more than "docile", which is all they are in Stock. There are submerged submarines available in the game, but we felt that wouldn't be "sporting" to have any of them active, and to let a player make the choice with an add-in mod later in the mod cycle. As for the active sonar, we hadn't even noticed that yet, but that will "die". We'll keep their hydrophone, so they can track you. Remember though, submarines shoot torpedoes! The sub damage models have been worked on multiple times, and since they are formerly player-controlled subs, they are still a bit on the strong side, but remember, subs did have water-tight compartmentalization, especially when at Battle Stations - well, except the Ko Hyoteki... might be a bit difficult to do that with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
... Here's the strange part. Other than routine air patrols at various times daily from both NNW and SSE, I saw nothing for the next 2 months! Not one ship of either navy. I saw Henderson Field open up on September 12, and the base at Tulagi open on October 15. Otherwise, nothing. No ships, just planes...
I'll do me some tests off Guadalcanal in a few days. In the meantime, you should see regular runs of what the US called "The Cactus Express", aka: "The Tokyo Express", and what the IJN referred to as "Rat Transportation", running between Truk/Rabaul and the Shortlands, and then between there and Cape Esperence at the least, and sometimes down further, with occasional forays into Henderson Field bombardments. You should also see the major battle runs from both sides, though they never repeat the same way twice... I doubt if the Tulagi BooBoo has anything to do with the TaskForce, Solomons & other layers failing to run... Did you Save and exit anytime while in there?

Edit: I should qualify that torpedobait, with a "between late August 1942 and late December 1942 for the Tokyo Express, but throughout the Campaign for the Task Forces...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-03-21 at 01:14 AM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 03:29 AM   #2818
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71

Hello Captains,

great work at all.
Since my last visit here at Subsim from 08.10.2017 my life changed hard.
I wanne thank the team for keeping FOTRS alive.

Best regards from Germany and no, i dont wear a mask in my sub

MadMax
Old 03-03-21, 10:47 AM   #2819
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You fellers must have been posting while I was replying earlier... Anyway

I'll do me some tests off Guadalcanal in a few days. In the meantime, you should see regular runs of what the US called "The Cactus Express", aka: "The Tokyo Express", and what the IJN referred to as "Rat Transportation", running between Truk/Rabaul and the Shortlands, and then between there and Cape Esperence at the least, and sometimes down further, with occasional forays into Henderson Field bombardments. You should also see the major battle runs from both sides, though they never repeat the same way twice... I doubt if the Tulagi BooBoo has anything to do with the TaskForce, Solomons & other layers failing to run... Did you Save and exit anytime while in there?

Edit: I should qualify that torpedobait, with a "between late August 1942 and late December 1942 for the Tokyo Express, but throughout the Campaign for the Task Forces...
I do not recall saving and exiting during that game. I did take saves, but had no need to reload one of them until I finally gave up on seeing anything. In the past I have encountered all of the resupply forces you mentioned, especially around Cape Esperance. In previous versions of FOTRSU I found the group heading down the slot to combat the Allied forces waiting for just in front of Savo Island, but not this time. Zilch. Perhaps in some future career I'll try it again, but I don't want to stop where I am until we get a new release. I think it's my OCD kicking in that I hate to go backwards!

You have so much to do that I would not encourage you to spend any time on it until other things are done. It will move up in severity when others encounter it - otherwise it's just something in my doings, although I can't imagine what.

Old 03-03-21, 05:54 PM   #2820
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Here's the list of my FotRSU mods. The team can tell me where or not the under lying issue has been addressed in 1.39:

Nice, but I could get by without:
452_MoonlightzSonarLine
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
CSL Custom Map Colors -I'm old and don't see well so having deep water light blue makes it a lot easier to see lines.
EZ Plot V1.0
HighContScope
Webster's Easy to Read Game Text
Webster's Missing Voices

I would really like to hang on to:
FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweek
UStorp125plus150
Webster's New Sonar View
Webster's Smaller Clock Needles

Almost a deal breaker:
Bigger Better Protractors
Webster's Ship Maneuvering Fix -The sub acts like a sports car without it!
3000 Yard Bearing Tool
454_EasyAOB_FotRSU + Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix -The TDC is really difficult to use without it.

I don't have a large amount of mods. Like Einstein said "Keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler"