SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 09:45 PM   #2851
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 6,989
Downloads: 338
Uploads: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
... COLOR="sandybrown"]no, this battle took place in the middle of Nowhere. no shallows to spawn in.
location, date, time.....October 19, 1944, 1130-ish, Somewhere in the East China Sea. if you asked me for a SWAG, it would be that this TF is 44b_Jap_TaskForce_002.[/COLOR]

i think this is a ship config issue, but that is only my opinion. i have that opinion because you can see most of their screws and rudder. she should sit lower in the water. IMHO
Depending upon where you are in the ECS, it could be one of several groups, but not limited to Task Forces. Were these definitely part of a Task Force group, running as escorts? I ask because the Matsu, as a 2nd class destroyer (a DE) has very slim odds of being attached to a Taffy, while the Otori, being a torpedo boat, would never be attached. However, there is a sub hunter group that runs in the northern ECS, and is almost definitely assigned these boats regularly. Also, a Troop movement might have them, though again lower odds, or a convoy, with higher odds. There are "light" movements in the mod also, to simulate DD transiting to meet a group to provide escort, though those and the sub hunters are few and far between. There is also the possibility of two or more groups meeting each other, and the escorts of one mingling with the others. The difficult part is that most ships are RGG "GENERIC" calls. Definitely a configuration issue, but from what? Both are fine in their sea folders... can you get an approximate lat / long location?
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #2852
KaleunMarco
Sea Lord
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,795
Downloads: 322
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The difficult part is that most ships are RGG "GENERIC" calls. Definitely a configuration issue, but from what? Both are fine in their sea folders... can you get an approximate lat / long location?
ok, i was incorrect in my SWAG but, in my defense, it was a SWAG.
Clearly, this is a "convoy" because the three escorted ships are Kasagisan Cargo ships. the Date time is October 16, 1944 at approx 1730 local time.


the contact was a Large Group east of Patrol Zone 11-C.


the escort leader is the Matsu. The Otori is at the opposite end of the convoy, heading due East in the screenshot. the other two escorts in this group are a CH-class and a Corvette Subchaser. One of them might be riding a bit high also.



__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortiter et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #2853
Macgregor the Hammer
Frogman
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 288
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 1
Default

Looking at the numerous images that have been posted, has funnel smoke density and visibility been improved in 1.39? Sure looks like it!
__________________
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Macgregor the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #2854
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 6,989
Downloads: 338
Uploads: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
... Clearly, this is a "convoy" because the three escorted ships are Kasagisan Cargo ships. the Date time is October 16, 1944 at approx 1730 local time.

the contact was a Large Group east of Patrol Zone 11-C.


the escort leader is the Matsu. The Otori is at the opposite end of the convoy, heading due East in the screenshot. the other two escorts in this group are a CH-class and a Corvette Subchaser. One of them might be riding a bit high also.

[pic]
[pic]
[pic]
OK, I have found only one "single-file" group, and it only uses DE... I have found a group that is listed as a by-twos grouping, that has the required escort possibilities, so maybe the game takes a 3-ship group and does them single-file, no matter what?? dunno. Anyway, I am going on that assumption for now. The group spacing looks fine, so I am double-triple-plus-checking its routing and ~ALL~ ships that could participate in the grouping. I do know that some of them have been found to be "problem children", so it could well be that. It might also be that the group you see, was crossing paths with another group going the opposite way at the render distance, which is also tough to say... but I do not immediately see anything incorrectly set. One last question though, if you zoom way in on that group, what is the spacing of the Kasagisans? They should 800+ meters apart.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
Looking at the numerous images that have been posted, has funnel smoke density and visibility been improved in 1.39? Sure looks like it!
No, we haven't changed any, and don't plan on it. It should not be easy (usually) to see smoke on the horizon. It should be something you have to look for. I do wish the game's watch crew's were able to report smoke better, but alas, the game AI is what it is... They usually don't even report the masts. Someone did tweak the watch crew for a mod that could get really close to that, but then they could see through islands and fog also...

Each ship can be slightly different, due to ship speed, but as well as by what they burn, of course. I have seen smoke on the horizon many times in the mod, but it is usually either a single coal-burner, or a grouping of oil burners. I seldom see warships that way, but usually have to wait on the masts, which generally come after the sonar contact...
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #2855
KaleunMarco
Sea Lord
 
KaleunMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,795
Downloads: 322
Uploads: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, I have found only one "single-file" group, and it only uses DE... I have found a group that is listed as a by-twos grouping, that has the required escort possibilities, so maybe the game takes a 3-ship group and does them single-file, no matter what?? dunno. Anyway, I am going on that assumption for now. The group spacing looks fine, so I am double-triple-plus-checking its routing and ~ALL~ ships that could participate in the grouping. I do know that some of them have been found to be "problem children", so it could well be that. It might also be that the group you see, was crossing paths with another group going the opposite way at the render distance, which is also tough to say... but I do not immediately see anything incorrectly set. One last question though, if you zoom way in on that group, what is the spacing of the Kasagisans? They should 800+ meters apart.
using the Ruler on the NavMap:
  • Between the first AKA and the second is approx 600m.
  • Between the second and third is closer to 550m.

I believe it is this convoy (and i think you and i agree).
i also suspect (as you do) that if a convoy is defined as a two-column convoy but has only three ships, it spawns to a single-file.

__________________
there are only two things in the world: submarines and targets.
Fortiter et stabilis et fidelis, semper


------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 03-07-2021 at 04:55 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #2856
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job
 
propbeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The Crossroads of Mid-America
Posts: 6,989
Downloads: 338
Uploads: 1


Default

... and that would be another potential cause of the bad spawn... the group cannot "breathe", and they're trying to avoid each other... though my suspect group is spaced at over 800m - we have seen this quite a bit throughout all of SH4, where a group, no matter how it is arranged, each vessel attempts to get to the waypoint location, and they gradually close together... like ignoring dates, the game does ignore spacings...
__________________

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #2857
Mios 4Me
Weps
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 351
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Guys, as propbeanie has stated previous in this thread, all the CTD issues with aircraft have now been fixed, I have personally tested and watched every axis aircraft doing an attack run on several trawlers i usd as targets, very interesting to watch.
Must have missed that earlier, sorry. Just logged in to report a CTD with an identified plane at last, a Jill; happy to see it's already addressed.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #2858
Mad Mardigan
Commodore
 
Mad Mardigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi.
Posts: 616
Downloads: 255
Uploads: 0


SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and that would be another potential cause of the bad spawn... the group cannot "breathe", and they're trying to avoid each other... though my suspect group is spaced at over 800m - we have seen this quite a bit throughout all of SH4, where a group, no matter how it is arranged, each vessel attempts to get to the waypoint location, and they gradually close together... like ignoring dates, the game does ignore spacings...
Ahoy, propbeanie, ol' chap...

Have some info to add to this discussion between you & KaleunMarco.. though, I 'WILL' point out, it does involve another group.

A task force, by the tagging associated with the contact I ran across...

Made it from Brisbane, to My original objective I got, prior to leaving base. Go to assigned point & await further orders. Which I did, got orders via radio to patrol area & sink any targets found. Which after 4 days, I think it was, maybe up to a week.. will have to reverify on that. Ran across 2 targets, sank both.. & completed objective.

After that, & having sank a few targets en route... decided to hot foot it back to base & end patrol. (Am wondering, if it is possible to put in for a trans from Brisbane back to Freemantle... hmm.. as with being based there, it don't take near as long to reach areas around the Philippines, as it does out of Brisbane...)

Any way, am roughly East of Taiwan as it is now known by... roughly 500 maybe 600 nm's in deep water... when I ran into that task force...

As best as I can determine, this sucker is big. 3 BB's (Ise, Kongo & can't recall the 3rd), 2 cruisers no idea on exact type other than heavy i am guessing. I sank 1 in 1 of My attacks on the Kongo BB.. 1 or 2 torps may have sunk that 1. 2, maybe 3 CV's... 1 looks like it may be a front line carrier, 1 light carrier (Ry something.. ) & 3rd, no clear ID on. Interesting thing was, that last 1 I believe, tangled with a DD or DE... no idea as it got left way back behind the rest of the group. 4 (rough guess, may have been 6 or 8..) of some merchie's.. @ least 2 were the same kind.. but can't recall their names right off... & @ least 8 escorts of DD/DE classing... no ID's on them.. was fun trying to recall all of that off the top of My head...

1 thing I noted... the escorts were milling about looking for Me.. merchie's were trying to flee.. yet, the cruisers & 1 BB went to a dead stop.. 1 BB kept moving but at a reduced speed... it went past Me slowly, after I sent off My spread of torps at the Kongo.

I may.. MAY be lucky enough to run into them again.. not sure. I did do a save, just prior to getting the radar contact report on that task force... & if it is scripted to pass through there at that point in time & all.. then the odds are good.

If I do, will see of taking exact locality markers, so as to pin point it down further... as well as the date as well.

What got Me to thinking on this encounter.. was what you said of spacing & such in your last post. That I quoted here...

End Report...

M. M.

__________________
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 AM   #2859
Comder
Commander
 
Comder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 9
Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0
Default

Good Day Gentlemen,
I have a question for you all. I am testing the Normandy in campaign mode.
as I was hunting around the Luzon Straits, I thought about it. The question is,
does FOTRSU have the Ghost ship still spawn at times? I have only seem to run across it in the stock mode. That was using the Typhoon class. I am just wondering.


Also to note. I have done 9 parts of the fist campaign out of Pearl Harbor.
I have been using the Normandy-Titan. So far with V1.39 not CTD. Even the menus are selected and swap with no shutters. 1.26p did not like any mod subs. Would shutter and delay between menus. also CTD a lot. I am not sure
how much were the subs, but If I switched over to a normal sub. The game did less of the problems.


So again great Mod Gentlemen. Sorry for the long winded post




Thank You


Comder
__________________



What War Ships?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2021 Subsim®
"Subsim" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved.