Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-10-09, 12:37 AM   #1
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default TrackIR 4 or pedals?

Should I get a TrackIR 4 or pedals? I've heard people say that TrackIR will radically change your flight sim experience. However, it seems that pedals would be more useful, especially for helicopter sims. Right now I only have an ancient twisty Logitech Wingman joystick.

Regarding the pedals: Saitek or CH? Can you adjust the resistance for the CH pedals?
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 01:58 AM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusJS View Post
Should I get a TrackIR 4 or pedals? I've heard people say that TrackIR will radically change your flight sim experience. However, it seems that pedals would be more useful, especially for helicopter sims. Right now I only have an ancient twisty Logitech Wingman joystick.

Regarding the pedals: Saitek or CH? Can you adjust the resistance for the CH pedals?

I have no experience with both but if I were you I would get TrackIR.

It depends on what sim you intend to use them. I think TrackIR is generally very helpful for any flight sim but pedal for flying jet...I don't know a twist rudder is fine for me.
Old 06-10-09, 03:45 AM   #3
Morts
Admiral

Downloads: 23

TrackIR 4 , ive been using TrackIR 4 for about a year now and have never had any problems with it. though it takes a little bit to get used to it
Morts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:54 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Pedals first, TrackIR second.

Pedals is a must for serious flying, TrackIR is luxury.

Pedals is functionality. TrackIR is immersion.

I have had a stick with a twisting-grip long time ago. It does not compare and cannot replace pedals. Both are worlds apart.

But I agree with people saying they would not fly without TrackIR anymore. In the virtual cockpits of FS9 it makes all the difference and turned the sim into a new world indeed.

Get both, therefore. First the pedals, later TrackIR.

Regarding pedals, the best I ever saw and tried in the price segment below 200 bucks, are Simpeds. They are more comfortable in foot spacing, and are a robust construction, working very precise (with adjustable movement-reaction-ratios). I use them myself. If needing to buy new ones, I would buy the same again. Some spare parts also can be ordered separately. I never heared of anyone needing to do so though. My set works flawless since over nine years now.

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/index2.php?lng=en

And btw, TrackIR is at version 5 already.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-10-09 at 05:09 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 08:44 AM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Combat sims = TrackIR first, pedals later
Flying sims = Pedals, TIR
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 09:11 AM   #6
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Both:
  1. Set up head-tracking using Freetrack, a webcam(or a Wiimote for better results) and a TrackClip Pro
  2. Buy the pedals. I'm using those from Saitek, and they do the job really well.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:16 AM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I have both and recommend Pedals first.

Both Airplanes and Helios have Pedals.

I also remenber a post awhile back concerning Pedals that online Combat playing that the players with Pedals have an edge.

Track IR4 is also a great flying tool too.

On the 4 FlightSim sites I belong to Pedals are the norm.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 12:26 PM   #8
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

But how big the edge of having pedals is, if you cant keep the situational awareness up effectively all the time (of course, that's only when played with locked pits, otherwise TIR is useless).
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:44 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Try to land a plane without pedals during crosswind, with no cheat options for coordinated flight active. That will heal all your doubts immediately.

Boy, you cannot even fly a simple coordinated turn without pedals. And how one would dogfight in IL2 and be able to precisely aim at your target without pedals is beyond me.

Situational awareness in IL2 I managed to maintain very well before Track IR, by reserving two POV Hats on my HOTAS for quick all-directions view panning on two different viewing height levels (same and higher altitude), and by reserving two more buttons for clever lock-view-on-target functions. That can be easier achieved than flying without pedals.

And helicopters without pedal control is a loss from A to Z anyway. At least if you pay some attention to the simulation aspect of a sim instead of tuning it into an action flight game.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-10-09 at 07:49 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:58 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Very well put Skybird.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 11:35 PM   #11
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

I ended up getting a Trackir 5 and Saitek pedals. I'd say they are equally necessary both in terms of utility and immersion.

The pedals make targeting much easier, especially against ground targets. With my twisty stick, making corrections was essentially impossible, as the slightest turn sent the crosshair flying all over the place. The pedals give much smoother, finer control.

They have also made it possible for me to pilot some of the touchier aircraft in Il2. Without the pedals, just thinking of turning would stall my Spitfire, but now with the pedals I can make tight turns without falling out of the sky (most of the time).

The Trackir removes the necessity of using the padlock view, which in Il2 could be very disorienting. Now I can keep my view centered on where my target will be, rather than lose the padlock after a few seconds because it's hidden by the frame of the cockpit.

After many futile attempts, I have finally been able to rack up a (very) few kills online in Il2 using the pedals and Trackir. Without these I'd still be cannon fodder, whereas now I'm cannon fodder only 95% of the time.

And nothing beats flying a twisting, turning dogfight in OFF in a Fokker Dr. I with the pedals and Trackir, pushing the rudder to the limit, and frantically trying to find your target before he finds you.
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 04:13 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Ah...! Following my advise, I see, congrats! If you fly civil flightsims as well, you'll see that there, pedals also make a difference during take-off and landing. You are also ready now to try helicopters.
Old 07-04-09, 08:48 AM   #13
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

With trackir you'll never look back....well you Will more often now

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote