Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-02-09, 10:51 PM   #1
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
WW1 flight sim?

Anyone care to recommend a good ww1 flight sim? I haven't seen one in ages - but then I just kinda stumbled over an old copy of KotS and it got me thinking.....

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 11:56 PM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Red Baron 3D
Old 03-02-09, 11:57 PM   #3
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

Over Flanders Fields is supposed to be good, but personally, I'm waiting for Rise of Flight

Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 08:16 AM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello,

i am still playing the old RedBaron3d from time to time, certainly improved with the "Hells Angels" or "Full Canvas jacket" mod (the latter is payware).

Rise of Flight will be phantastic, i only hope they will break through the "publishing barrier". It was called "Knights of the sky or KOTS before, but they had to go for another engine - Oleg did not want the IL2 engine to be used for it, and the new team renamed it to ROF. Seems this new "real nature" engine was the best they could get. There are some nice films and screenshots at their homepage. Seems i will nee a cray to run it (see the Rise of Flight or "ROF" thread at this page), but this was also the case when ReBaron3d came out long ago lol. I remember buying a Voodoo card (!) only for Rb ..

OFF, or better "Over Flanders Fields" in its 3rd iteration (or "phase" as they call it) is very nice, but you will need a decent rig to run it - 3 Ghz Proc. along with 2 Gb memory with a good graphic card will run it pretty well. Dual cores should be at least 2.3 each proc, because OFF only uses one of them processors. So a 3 Ghz single proc. will be as good as a Dual core 2x 3 GHz proc. Practically the new motherboards with a Ram frequency of above 1000 will run it well with almost every processor. There is a recent review at SimHQ here:
http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_401a.html
Downside is you need a genuine MS "Combat flight simulator" disk for installing OFF, which is again some 10 $ on the web.
Used to OFF phase 2 i am still learning my ropes in phase 3, this is indeed another beast.

Edit: Not to forget "First Eagles" and Richthofen Skies" ! I have not played those yet, but sure will. There are too few good WW1 sims to ignore them, and the sreenshots i've seen are very good.

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 03-05-09 at 09:13 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 01:39 PM   #5
tigershuffle
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default free standalone ww1 sim

Hi, read this today..........
thought id better share

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...-squadron-wwi/

A free standalone ww1 flightsim. 1gb download.
tigershuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 08:03 PM   #6
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigershuffle View Post

Hi, read this today..........
thought id better share

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...-squadron-wwi/

A free standalone ww1 flightsim. 1gb download.
I've got that on my computer right now! It's an EXCELLENT mod that includes some of the Great War's rarest planes, including Russian and Italian machines. Even more cool is that you can wield revolvers for weapons when using early-EARLY war aircraft, hunting rifles included as well.

I would highly recommend it. Screamin' Demons Over Europe is very cheap nowadays. You can pick it up in the bargin bin for like $5.

Here's the ModDB page for Tumult in the Clouds:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fighter-sq...-world-war-one

Years ago, like around 2004, there was a simulation planned that was going to have all of Red Baron 3D's features with better graphics and a greater amount of customization. Some of you might recall it: Down in Flames. Unfortunately, the thing just kind of slowly died off in 2005. There were no more updates to the website, nothing was heard from the modders, it just kind of faded away. Sad, really. I was looking forward to it.

And of course, I'm looking forward greatly to the release of Rise of Flight, mainly because of all the features it has which will and currently is delivering (for Russians and CIS nations anyway; it's world-wide release probably won't come until June of this year) unparalleled realism. It combines roleplaying elements (you can chat with squadmates, earn rewards like pistols and of course medals/promotions, and even socialize with local folk) with a dynamic campaign mode. It's too complex to describe in a few sentences. Go check out the forums over at Sim HQ.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 03:38 PM   #7
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I am using this as a cheap alternative until ROF comes along.

First Eagles
http://www.thirdwire.com/project_wwi_combo.htm

Inexpensive, customizable, lots of add-on planes. Downside is awful netcode, lack of decent campaign.

If you are more interested in offline play, from whit I hear Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell is unmatched in campaign immersion. I have not played it myself, but those who have rave about the immersion. It's downsides are a pitiful net code, which is due to the second downside... the fact that you need CFS3 to run it.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Features.htm
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 04:06 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Abacus has one for FSX that beats anything out there so far.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote