SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-20, 12:21 PM   #1216
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
We really need a better labelling system!
https://support.ubisoft.com/

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 12:44 PM   #1217
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Hi FotRS_Ultimate Team, I found some some issues in the mod ( I don't know if someone has just told about them )
There are some problems with the sound: I can't hear the sub's engines and the muzzle sound of my sub. An other issue is that, at my 4th/5th patrol sometimes the game adds a second deck gun with no crew and without replacing the first one, or, in other cases, removing the crew form the deck weapons, without the possibility to take others.
Sorry for my bad english

BTW, I have just ask about them in reality, but what about to add the Thai Navy to an eventual new release? models that resemble their principal ships just exist in the game (ex. the Para Ruang DD was an old British R class, which just exists in the Soviet Waterway mod or the Trad Class torpedo boat which is very similar, just a little bit shorter, to the Spica class from Med Campaign or the aux. ships Chao Paia and Angthong that are very similar to some Finnish ships from Soviet Warerway)
Unfortunately there are not a lot of informations of the WW2 Siamese/Thai navy, I know their warships patrolled the Gulf of Siam or served for convoys' duties, as their merchant ships in the southern routes.
and talking about Soviet Waterway, there are some interesting merchant ships (from SH5 and their own) that could be added to the mod.

Sorry to disturb you boys, and good luck with your fine project
Which submarine are you using with the sound issue? The S-Boats are the worst offenders in this regard, such that when a person using high TC comes back to 1x, the engine sound will resort to the electric motor sound. Change engine speeds, and you should regain the correct diesel sound. This has been around since 2007 and the initial release of the game. It seems to change with each release of the mod, varying in frequency of encounter for no apparent reason. The deck gun not having a muzzle report can happen when shelling out to Windows, or again from the use of high TC values. This will vary between computers (as most things do) and hardware / software configurations. As for the loss of a deck gun crew, refer to the "ColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support file for some potential help in getting a gun crew back. However, the situation encountered in FotRSU is slightly different, since the guns are "permanently" affixed to the decks, whether fore or aft, being boat-splecific. You might, or might not, be able to get a crew back. This is another of several issues that are Stock-based, and seem like they should be repairable, but like the torpedo load-out issue, are apparently not. We will most likely go back to the Stock way with the deck guns, because more people are familiar with recovering from the issue there, than they are with the FotRSU way... - We'll see about adding some Thai-flagged vessels. Warning ahead of time though, they allied with the Japanese, and as such will be sunk upon sight without warning by US and British submarines... we'll also have to find the historical flag for back then... - Are these correct?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 01:49 PM   #1218
Fritz Klum
Mate

Downloads: 710
Uploads: 4
Default Issue with FOTRSU 1.1

Hey all, great mod - its clear a huge amount of time went in to making it.

However, I am having an issue that seems to render me unable to start my next patrol.

I chose Sargo class boat in Asiatic fleet at earliest possible start date. I've now completed 2 war patrols. The first patrol began on December 9th 1941, beginning at Manilla and ending in Surabaya on December 29th 1941. The Second Patrol began on January 28th, 1942 and ended on March 11, 1942. This second patrol began at Surabaya, and ended in Freemantle.

The current date in-game is March 12, 1942, with my boat still part of the Asiatic flotilla, but anchored in Freemantle. However, whenever I now go to click on the campaign map, located at the center back of the captain's office in order to start my next mission, the game freezes for about 2-3 seconds, then CTDs.

I included the above patrol time information because I suspect that it may be a docking/timeframe type issue, and want to help the dev team of FOTRSU fix the issue - hopefully without me having to begin a new career, since I've managed to sink 101,178 tons of shipping during the course of those 2 patrols and would rather not have to restart my career if possible.

The following is other data that may help diagnose my issue for the devs:

I am running SH4 v 1.5, with LAA patch applied.

I have the following mods in the following order appiled via JSGME:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.1_EN
EAX_Soundsim_FOTRSU1.1
Remove grain effect

I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition

My PC specs:

Intel Core i7 6700 (4.00Ghz) quad-core with 2 script threads per core, totaling 8 threads

Nvidia GTX 1070 with 8Gb Vram

16GB DDR4 Ram

Game is installed at C:/Ubisoft, which is on my main 1TB HDD drive.

I run the game at 1920x1080 60Hz Resolution

With all of the above, I have had no issues whatsoever before now.

Again, sorry if this post is wordy, but I figured I'd include all possible relevant information for the devs.
Fritz Klum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 02:12 PM   #1219
propbeanie

You don't mention your computer Fritz Klum, so if you would, let us know your OS, cpu & RAM amount. I will also repeat this, since it's now on the page before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, direct your browsers to

101_prBetaPatch_v1.1.7z

which is on my little slice of Google Drive heaven. This is a "test" patch for v1.1 of the mod only. You should be in port when applying it. It includes typo fixes for campaign and other files, as well as hopefully removing all "Location name in game" text on the NavMap. No mention in the ReadMe is made of moving the Mark10 torpedoes to the end of the Ammunition.upc file, but they have been. This in theory should eliminate their loading when re-fitting a Fleet Boat. There are also a few additions to the Campaign_NMS file for locations named in some orders. Also corrections to the Flotillas.upc for "no primary objective found" for two assignments, typo fixes to others. There are still typos in the mod. Please let us know when you see incorrect spellings or non-grammatical phrasing. The big one here is the sonar is back to the old style FOTRS / TMO mix, where for the most part, you will have sonar on the surface. Hopefully, this will eliminate some of the erratic oddities encountered. Not included in this are the sound changes we are in the process of changing. This will take a bit of work, and we won't do the next release until we've muscled through that. Many thanks to Moonlight, torpedobait and especially mazzi for the torpedo "fix" for the Fleet Boats, which will unfortunately result in the S-Boats no longer having proper load-outs when they re-fit. We wanted to do a new release, but with a few other issues encountered, and the "fixes" being more involved, this is the way to proceed temporarily to eliminate the torpedo load-out, as well as the potential of "No primary objective found" troubles. This is only temporary. Let us know ~any~ issues you encounter asap...

PS: As a heads-up for vickers03 and others, there will be changes in the SH.SDL file for the next release, as well as changes to ship dat, sim & dsd files, to hopefully eliminate the "mute" ships and the failure of sonar to so much as even indicate they are there. There are no image changes though DanielCoffey...
... and you might well be falling into what would normally be a "No primary Objective found" - or similar text, telling you that the nincompoop at the keyboard misspelled something of importance in the Flotillas.cfg file several months ago - of course, that would have been me... Apply the patch, and then try to start from your last Save, and if that fails, try the previous Save. You might also have to temporarily back out the bottom two mods from your list until you return to port again...

Old 06-06-20, 02:56 PM   #1220
Fritz Klum
Mate

ehm, I did indeed mention my PC specs at the bottom of my post, but I will repost them here anyways:

I am running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition

My PC specs:

Intel Core i7 6700 (4.00Ghz) quad-core with 2 script threads per core, totaling 8 threads

Nvidia GTX 1070 with 8Gb Vram

16GB DDR4 Ram

Game is installed at C:/Ubisoft, which is on my main 1TB HDD drive.

I run the game at 1920x1080 60Hz Resolution

I will try the patch, then report back. Thank you again for the mod by the way - its great!
Old 06-06-20, 03:09 PM   #1221
propbeanie

Old eyes in a hurry... sorry about that. More than enough horsepower for anything you throw at it SH4-wise, unless the mod CTDs you...

Old 06-06-20, 03:41 PM   #1222
Fritz Klum
Mate

Quote:
Old eyes in a hurry... sorry about that.

Don't worry about it - its fine.

However, I'm still getting CTD issues, even with the patch applied. Going to try restarting career, this time from Pearl Harbor fleet - only 2 patrols in, so its not a huge deal.
Old 06-06-20, 04:06 PM   #1223
SebMottel
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Hi guys, thanks for the mod. I've been digging into it, I love the immersion but a couple of things have been bugging me, but it may be me missing something.

1. The briefing of the first mission (US) tells me I need to run on 1 engine while on the surface at night. Is there any way to do this? I have tried every menu and tab and can't find this as an option. Maybe this is just some flavour text, but it's bugging me that I may be missing some shortcut or trick.
2. I'm trying to complete the tutorial for the 90 degree realistic attack. However the ship I'm attacking just doesn't appear in the in game identification manual. I've been through every single category (including merchant ships) This has lead me to just turn off "realistic attacks". Am I meant to be consulting a pdf somewhere instead?

These two things I have Googled ad infinitum, so any help would be much appreciated.

Bonus questions, which I mention while I am here but haven't Googled as much:

3. I have never worked out the relationship between the "gameplay settings" and the "difficulty setting" I select when I start a new campaign. Which takes priority? I would assume it would be the "gameplay settings". But then if so, why can't I alter it when in game? This makes no sense. I never have any idea what realism setting I am running. This is true for all Silent Hunter Games.
4. Is there any way to tone down the garish purple blue colour of the sea? I love the twilight and night colours of this mod, but can't get my head around the royal prussian blue of the ocean. I much prefer the more realistic beige/green of the SH5 WOS mod, or even the light cyan of vanilla SH4, although equally cartoony, the hue is more realistic. Is there part of this mod I can disable?

Many thanks.
SebMottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 04:59 PM   #1224
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

SebMottel! it's been a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 05:54 PM   #1225
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Radar problem at Midway.
Career start Midway.
15 Jan 1942 (Gar)
21 June 1942 (Gato)
21 Jan 1943 still in a (Gato) offered a SJ-I radar, bloody hell what happened to the SJ radar, I mentioned the missing radar in one of my torpedo loadout problem posts Mr beanie but I think it was forgotten about.

I'm sure I posted this earlier tonight but I can't find it, I'm cracking up now.
Old 06-06-20, 06:01 PM   #1226
Fritz Klum
Mate

Hey Seb, I'm by no means an expert, but I will give you what I can:

Answer 1: Pretty sure running on 1 engine isn't possible in game, and its just flavor text/for roleplaying purposes.

Answer 2: Can't help you with this one - I'm lazy and always use auto targeting where I can point and shoot :P

Answer 3: "Gameplay settings" on the main menu, is for single missions and quick missions only. "Difficulty Setting" that appears when starting a new career is for that career only.

Furthermore, the exact parameters of the setting (whether or not you can have dud torpedoes, etc,) can be customized when in the career mode captain's office by clicking on the radio on the left side of the screen in the US captain's room, or by clicking on the filing cabinet at the right rear of the screen in the German Captain's room.

Realism settings can be set while in the captains office or menu, but not once the game has actually started (ie, when you are at sea.) I suppose Ubisoft did this to prevent people making it super easy when they were about to attack enemy ships, then making it hard again just before they docked, since higher difficulty settings get you more renown for sinking the same things.

Answer 4: Can't help with this one either, though I would advise against fooling with the sea/environment graphics too much, as Silent Hunter 4 Environmental things can be notoriously buggy, especially at high time compression levels.

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions.
Old 06-06-20, 06:16 PM   #1227
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebMottel View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the mod. I've been digging into it, I love the immersion but a couple of things have been bugging me, but it may be me missing something.

1. The briefing of the first mission (US) tells me I need to run on 1 engine while on the surface at night. Is there any way to do this? I have tried every menu and tab and can't find this as an option. Maybe this is just some flavour text, but it's bugging me that I may be missing some shortcut or trick.
2. I'm trying to complete the tutorial for the 90 degree realistic attack. However the ship I'm attacking just doesn't appear in the in game identification manual. I've been through every single category (including merchant ships) This has lead me to just turn off "realistic attacks". Am I meant to be consulting a pdf somewhere instead?

These two things I have Googled ad infinitum, so any help would be much appreciated.

Bonus questions, which I mention while I am here but haven't Googled as much:

3. I have never worked out the relationship between the "gameplay settings" and the "difficulty setting" I select when I start a new campaign. Which takes priority? I would assume it would be the "gameplay settings". But then if so, why can't I alter it when in game? This makes no sense. I never have any idea what realism setting I am running. This is true for all Silent Hunter Games.
4. Is there any way to tone down the garish purple blue colour of the sea? I love the twilight and night colours of this mod, but can't get my head around the royal prussian blue of the ocean. I much prefer the more realistic beige/green of the SH5 WOS mod, or even the light cyan of vanilla SH4, although equally cartoony, the hue is more realistic. Is there part of this mod I can disable?

Many thanks.
First point: Most of the early briefings are based upon actual mission orders. It is next to impossible to fulfill most of those kinds of directives, since the Fleet Boats in the game are actually disguised U-Boats, and as such only have two engines joined together as one. You cannot do a forward on one screw and reverse on another to turn faster either (sorry KaleunMarco - terminology again). You also do not have Uncle Lockwood looking over your shoulder to make certain that you dive during daylight hours, and only surface when it's dark. You also do not have Mr Christie making certain that you are using his blessed magnetic pistol. So think of most of that verbiage as "filler", or as "immersion", whichever your case might be, and be governed accordingly...

Second Point: That is one of several ships that have a sil that does not match the actual ship. It is listed as Large Modern Composite, but if you look in the Sea folder of the NKLCS_Nagara, its sil has a different cabin and stack arrangement. DanielCoffey is doing the team a favor by diving into the Recognition Manual and doing new sil files, based upon the 3D image of the ships. Refer to his thread Ship Silhouettes. He did the Nagara in the first set. Now, I linked you to the 2nd post, where he has the download links, but be sure and read from the first post. Very good stuff. When he is finished, we will of course liberally thieve from him, giving proper credit, and make him an honorary member of the society of nutty people...

Bonus Points: Gameplay and Realism have Main Menu settings, and Career Menu settings. The Main Menu is easy enough to see. The Career Settings are accessed by clicking on the radio console to the left in the US Captain's Office, or the file cabinet between the wall map and exit door in the German Captain's Office. The "Realism" selections will enable different Gameplay settings, but there isn't one that satisfies me, so I usually just set what I want as I start a new career. Each career can have its own settings, while the Main Menu controls all Submarine School, Multi-Player, Single Missions and Quick Patrols. As for the ocean color, when comparing to SH5, that is the Atlantic to the Pacific, and similarly with the Stock colors. The Pacific can look "greenish", but usually only during storms, or if in colorful lagoons with green foliage nearby. If you ever go on a boat tour off of Hawaii, it is a rather blue blue... Arguments will persist about how accurate the color of the water is, and it depends upon where you were when you remember how it looked, as well as the time of day and sunlight, or lack thereof. Time permitting, we'll get around to some "tweaks" in that regard, but the ocean color at this time is a low-priority task.

Old 06-06-20, 06:39 PM   #1228
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Quote:
we'll also have to find the historical flag for back then... - Are these correct?

I think yes, because on the basis of history, there were no important "flag's changing" in Thailand since 1917 and in the historical photos of their navy, the flags shown resembles those you posted before.

Quote:
will be sunk upon sight without warning by US and British submarines
What?! Is this a subtle way to say, that the team is thinking to add British and Dutch subs in the campaign ?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 07:47 PM   #1229
Fritz Klum
Mate

Default Question regarding repairs in this mod

Hey - this may sound like a dumb question, but:

does hull damage get repaired upon returning to base in this mod? I think that happens in the stock version of the game, but not sure if it happens in mod. Reason being, I took a bit of damage from some harbor submarine nets around Truk naval base, and am hoping it will be able to be repaired.

Its not a huge amount - 3 points - but it still peeves me a bit.
Old 06-06-20, 07:53 PM   #1230
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Klum View Post
Don't worry about it - its fine.

However, I'm still getting CTD issues, even with the patch applied. Going to try restarting career, this time from Pearl Harbor fleet - only 2 patrols in, so its not a huge deal.
The "patch" by itself has not fixed anyone's career yet, but one can always hope. Loading a previous Save should "fix" it though, or as you are doing, starting a new career will also. I cannot guarantee 100% success at this, but we hope we are closer than before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Radar problem at Midway.
Career start Midway.
15 Jan 1942 (Gar)
21 June 1942 (Gato)
21 Jan 1943 still in a (Gato) offered a SJ-I radar, bloody hell what happened to the SJ radar, I mentioned the missing radar in one of my torpedo loadout problem posts Mr beanie but I think it was forgotten about.

I'm sure I posted this earlier tonight but I can't find it, I'm cracking up now.
Now, this I know... The SJ-I is not supposed to be available until after June 1, 1943, so here is the game running over a date "constraint", probably as a "reward" for your exemplary skills at sinking enemy vessels... - If we put things into a campaign file too early, the ship / airplane / whatever will often not have proper skinning, or it will crash the game. But the game can do the same anytime it pleases, with the same results... why do they bother with "dates" I wonder?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
I think yes, because on the basis of history, there were no important "flag's changing" in Thailand since 1917 and in the historical photos of their navy, the flags shown resembles those you posted before.

What?! Is this a subtle way to say, that the team is thinking to add British and Dutch subs in the campaign ?
The deed will be done then. We do not have plans for "playable" British and Dutch subs in FotRSU, due to the game's constraints, but you will eventually see AI versions, and they will shoot AI torpedoes also. We have not found proper assets yet though, and have not done any serious looking just yet either.