SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-20, 02:50 PM   #1
chevelle505
Sailor man

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Mod issue...

trying to use "Ohio SSBN (overhauled) (130.93 MB)"
and in the description is says

"-Create Bangor Subase and add to career: This took some figuring out but added Bangor Submarine Base. If you start at dock, you'll start at the base itself in the Hood Canal. If you choose outside of dock you start where the Hood Canal and Straights of Juan de Fuca meet."

I go to career in the game though, and dont see an option for the base or the Sub, only in quick mission the sub shows up but not the base. so I know the mod is working, just confused, trying to start at the base in bangor. Anyone familiar with this mod?
chevelle505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 07:17 PM   #2
chevelle505
Sailor man

Never mind got it figured out
Old 09-28-20, 06:44 PM   #3
chevelle505
Sailor man

Ok so apparently I can start at Bangor sub base but when I hit F3 for the map, it crashes the game...any ideas guys?? I’ve tried a complete reinstall of the entire game and made sure the Sabin is the ONLY mod installed just to eliminate conflicts but it’s still crashing every time I try to use the map. Any help is appreciated
Old 09-28-20, 10:12 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Where do you have SH4 installed? You can't be in a Program Files folder with it, else you won't get a proper mod activation. Also, are you using an LAA app on the SH4.exe file? I'm not certain how big of a mod you are dealing with, but the 'modern' Windows sure uses a lot more resources than it used to, so an LAA app might help some. CapnScurvy has a write-up on its use in Windows 10 from a fresh install in "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install", which has links in it for two versions of the app. You could also use the NTCore 4GB Patch version, or Jeff-Groves' (privateer) Win XP 4 Gig RAM patch for SH4, which you probably have to "Run as administrator".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 04:04 AM   #5
chevelle505
Sailor man

ok so, I reinstalled steam, and SH4 in C:\Steam instead of program files (x86), reinstalled and activated mod, started up, hit F3 for map at bangor and it immediately crashes to desktop. its only when i try to view the map at bangor. I've had this working a couple years back with this very mod, I'm at a loss. If i start out at sea i can go to map, i can zoom in on every base..until i zoom in on bangor, then its Crash to desktop. what should i try next?

Last edited by chevelle505; 09-29-20 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 09:17 AM   #6
propbeanie

With that mod by itself, I have no problem starting at Bangor, either outside the harbor or inside. If you have added the interior files, it could be that, but first off, did you empty the Save folder for the game before trying to start again after moving the Steam Library out of the Program Files folder? On a "default" install, it is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", with "UserName being what you use to log into Windows with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents", or something different, depending upon your Windows version. You lose all of the progress you might have made in the game thus far, and the user settings you have, but the runs off of that folder, so anything "wrong" from the previous runs will still be there. If after "cleaning" the Save folder, it still does that, then remove the interior files, if you have them, clear the Save folder again, and try that way.

Old 09-29-20, 01:56 PM   #7
chevelle505
Sailor man

ive removed all save files, removed interior files (did a complete reinstall of steam itself AND sh4. not sure what else to do.
Old 09-30-20, 04:04 PM   #8
propbeanie

After deleting the Save files, re-enable the base mod, but leave off the interior files, and see what happens when you run it. There might be something set incorrectly for the interior...

Old 10-01-20, 07:32 PM   #9
chevelle505
Sailor man

I don’t have any of the interior files changed, EVERYTHING is right out of the box including the mod. It just crashes every tome I get the map zoomed in over Bangor. The rest of the time everything works. I’ll try a fresh install once again to be sure.
Could this problem have anything to do with it (the mod itself)not being compatible with Windows 10? I’ve also change permissions to full control just to be sure and turned off windows defender as well.
Old 10-01-20, 08:14 PM   #10
propbeanie

Are you starting the U-Boats Add-on, or the Wolves of the Pacific, which would be v1.3? I do not have a Steam SH4, but maybe someone who does could chime in?...

Old 10-02-20, 12:24 AM   #11
chevelle505
Sailor man

Nope, literally no other addons besides Ohio class overhauled which includes Bangor sub base. I,ll try an entire fresh install of steam again and do in to C:\steam again and see if that’s does it.
Old 10-02-20, 08:04 AM   #12
propbeanie

Does Steam show your Library folder as in the Steam folder, directly off of the C: drive, and not in any Program Files folder? If you installed Steam to C: root, then it should be, though you should have Steam one level above the root of C:, just in case. But also be certain that you are starting the correct version of SH4. Previous posters have said that both versions (somehow) reside in the same folder, and that it is a matter of starting the game with the correct Steam short-cut... Other than those two points, I am out of ideas, since it does function apparently as intended on my computer, and I can zoom all the way in on the NavMap, set courses, etc. without incurring a CTD or even a glitch...

Old 10-02-20, 09:12 AM   #13
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

This is such bizarre bug. So as far as compatibility with the OS goes, so long as the game runs the mod is compatible. I started the work on Windows 7 and am now on Windows 10.

Steam can be ****ey which is why the default install to ProgramFiles(x86) is terrible (which I think I've found out that that's Windows fault). Both entries in your Steam library will launch the 1.5 version IF you have the U-Boat Missions installed, it's all in one install folder anyways.

So my suggestion is to redownload the mod, perhaps the mod files became corrupted somehow.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 02:55 PM   #14
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Any news or updates?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 10:35 AM   #15
chevelle505
Sailor man

Icon14

Hey sorry, I’ve been out of town away from my sim pc so I haven’t had time to mess with it, back now though so I’ll see if a full reinstall gets it to work. Really hoping it does, the Ohio class is what I’ve been after and for some reason I can’t seem to find the old LA Class I had a couple years back, I can only find the new 688i. Really hoping I can get this mod to work. I’ll report back.