Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-19, 04:10 AM   #1
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default New decade long member?

Hello all.

I have been a lurker here for a decade or so. I think this might be my like 2nd or third post. I just don't like to bother anyone.

The first sub game I ever played was Silent Service on the Commodore 64. Such a great game. The number of days I spent/lost playing that game would be hard to estimate, or rather, to estimate honestly.

I purchased Silent Hunter IV about a year after it came out only to take it home and discover the machine I currently had couldn't run it. So I forgot about it for about a while until I got a new machine about 6 months after that and have been playing it off and on since then, but mostly non-stop. About a year or so after that I found this SubSim place. Again countless hours/days lost reading random posts. That's easy to do when you find a place of mostly like minded half way inteligent people that also have a sense of humor. Then some stuff happened, and I can't work anymore (I use to weld), and I use to think I played Silent Hunter IV allot before. Fortunately my wife is great so I don't entirely loose touch with the outside world.
I only installed my first MOD about 5 months ago, the great TMO, so now I am discovering the game all over again and I tell ya' my wife is thrilled about that.

I am currently neck deep in learning the entire history of MODS for SH-IV, or at least the history of TMO and RSRD, or at least just how TMO and RSRD work together with all the patches and stuff, or at least trying to figure out which are the final versions of TMO, and RSRD, and needed patches, that all go together correctly. It's turning into quite the project for myself. (On tenth thought, what the hell am I doing?)

I figured I would make the customary first Hello post to refresh my memory on how to do all this again.

Now I am off to go bother other people about RSRD, (or is it RSRDC?) and how it works with TMO and with what patch, and in what order, and don't forget about the Narwhal MOD with TMO patch... and where did I put my car keys....

One question. Is there a master list of all the acronyms as pertaining to MODS? If there isn't then there should be. I would make one but I would have to find a list somewhere of all the acronyms and then I would be ending at the beginning and then I wold be ending at the......

You know, when I write it all down like this and then re-read it for spelling errors, I realize, for the last decade or so, it may or may not sound like I have completely lost my f**k***g mind. Good stuff.

Have a good day all, and don't forget to come up for air now and then.

-Brian

[Because sarcasm seems to be disappearing in the world today I feel the need to say that the above post contains a healthy amount of it. Just in case anyone might have forgot about sarcasm, however now that I think about it, I don't think that will be a problem here. But just in case though, because people are getting younger every day.]

Old 08-07-19, 06:54 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

StealthRabbit!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:12 PM   #3
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome to the surface Brian!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 04:28 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 09:48 AM   #5
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Welcome back aboard. Enjoy SUBSIM!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

For SH4 in the hard way, you can try TMO + RSRDC + OTC, or the latest FOTRSU. For a more simple and noobie gameplay, GFO, with or without RSRDC.

TMO: Trigger Maru Overhaul, version 2.5.
RSRDC; Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign.
OTC: Optical Targeting Correction.
RFB: Real Fleet Boat (another supermod).
FOTRSU: Fall of the Raising Sun Ultimate, version 0,90 Beta - full playable, it is beta because is often updated.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 06:49 PM   #6
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Default Thankyou

Hello Fitzcarraldo

I don't have a Facebook account. I have never had one, I'm that guy. Someday people might see me and say 'There he is, he's that guy, the only guy on the planet that doesn't have a Facebook account.' I have nothing against Facebook, I've just never felt the need for an account.

FOTRS looks good and I will probably add it on latter, but for now I want to get a handle on TMO with RSRD. I really like the idea of RSRD so I can be involved in some of the big battles of the pacific. If my sub is in the area it would be very cool to end up in the battle of Midway, or the battle of the Philippine Sea. I would love to get just a shot at a Japanese flat top in any of the battles of the Pacific. I absolutely loved everything about the TMO, all the changes he made where great and, I like it that it is more difficult. No Training Wheels needed. The only thing I still use help for is auto targeting torpedos. I keep thinking that some day I will learn how to manuley target ships, it's just that 'some day' hasn't happened yet. I just started a new career with RSRDC and it is working fine so far, I am only on my second war patrol with the Gato class Greenling. All the added island and city names are a great addition and it makes me wonder why the game was not made that way at the very begining. The only thing that I don't like so far are a few of the small things that RSRDC took out of TMO, like the periodic radio updates you get about how the war is going overall in the Pacific Theater, and the reports of the kills made by other sub skippers. It's not a big deal that they are gone, but they did give the game that little extra level of immersion.

Thank you for the acronym key. As someone who is truly dyslexic it's a huge help. I think I may start my own list on paper and then post it when I get 30 or 40 or so.

Is this the correct forum for this conversation? I don't want to annoy anyone.

Thanks for the tips and the info.
Have a day.
-B
Old 08-09-19, 05:40 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

hi Brian, welcome to the world of Subsim members who have posted, glad to hear from you. We could use more guys who post.

Don't feel alone, I have gotten away from Facebook myself, been something like 15 months.
Old 08-09-19, 01:12 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > StealthRabbit
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 04:56 PM   #9
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hello Fitzcarraldo

I don't have a Facebook account. I have never had one, I'm that guy. Someday people might see me and say 'There he is, he's that guy, the only guy on the planet that doesn't have a Facebook account.' I have nothing against Facebook, I've just never felt the need for an account.

FOTRS looks good and I will probably add it on latter, but for now I want to get a handle on TMO with RSRD. I really like the idea of RSRD so I can be involved in some of the big battles of the pacific. If my sub is in the area it would be very cool to end up in the battle of Midway, or the battle of the Philippine Sea. I would love to get just a shot at a Japanese flat top in any of the battles of the Pacific. I absolutely loved everything about the TMO, all the changes he made where great and, I like it that it is more difficult. No Training Wheels needed. The only thing I still use help for is auto targeting torpedos. I keep thinking that some day I will learn how to manuley target ships, it's just that 'some day' hasn't happened yet. I just started a new career with RSRDC and it is working fine so far, I am only on my second war patrol with the Gato class Greenling. All the added island and city names are a great addition and it makes me wonder why the game was not made that way at the very begining. The only thing that I don't like so far are a few of the small things that RSRDC took out of TMO, like the periodic radio updates you get about how the war is going overall in the Pacific Theater, and the reports of the kills made by other sub skippers. It's not a big deal that they are gone, but they did give the game that little extra level of immersion.

Thank you for the acronym key. As someone who is truly dyslexic it's a huge help. I think I may start my own list on paper and then post it when I get 30 or 40 or so.

Is this the correct forum for this conversation? I don't want to annoy anyone.

Thanks for the tips and the info.
Have a day.
-B
If you feel TMO AI (the ships the game "conduct"), are very hard with TMO (and yes, it is hard), try the mod "TMO Easier AI":

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=3542

Put it after all your mods.

Sink'em all!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 03:40 PM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Hallo, StealthRabbit... we need more rodents around here
Old 08-12-19, 04:06 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Belay that! Rabbits are not members of the rodent family!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 12:45 PM   #12
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

You are correct about rabbits not being rodents but allot of people think they are. In actuality they are Lagomorphs, with Rodents being their closest living relative species. I have 4 house rabbits as pets. Rabbits are the 3rd most common pets (with dogs and cats being the 2 most popular of course) but are considered exotic pets. They are great little pets, but because they are a prey animals , and not predators like dogs and cats, it can take a while for them to start trusting you. and when they do start trusting you you can start to see their individual personalities. They do make very interesting pets.

-StealthRabbit
Old 08-13-19, 12:51 PM   #13
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post

That patch always cracks me up. I have that one with velcro on the back that I will sometimes put on my hat.

-StealthRabbit