Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-19, 08:26 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

wolf_howl15 Subsim New Member mousepad contest

Ahoy new captains and welcome to Subsim, online since 1997.

As your welcome private message says, you can make your first post here to enter the drawing for the free Subsim mousepad.

You can post about: (for example, any of these topics or anything else)
  • Describe your first sub game
  • How you came across Subsim
  • What the weather is like today in your part of the world
  • Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks
  • How many slices of pizza you normally consume
  • How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October
  • What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman)
  • Or just about anything that interests you!

If you win, you can choose between one of these two pads.

Drawing will be held on the first of the month for one winner. Good luck.
Onkel Neal
SUBSIM

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-06-19 at 08:14 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 09:47 PM   #2
Euraisa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Greetings,

I play Silent Hunter 4 and Silent Hunter 3. The only other naval warfare game I play is Rule The Waves. I got into it after watching One J-Jef's Silent Hunter 4 Let's Play. I can play with no map contacts and such but while I understand how targeting works I can't manually do it to save my virtual life. So in 4 I use automatic and in 3 my Weapons Officer assists or does the work. But I do all the hunting and most of the listening. The men manning my Sonar always seem to be deaf. And I also prefer leaving from port in 4. I find much of it relaxing. Even using the deck gun.

And sometimes, when under and listening, I have hot coco.

And, yes, also a history nut. Have many books on naval history, British Battle Fleet, tail ships, and all the Hornblower books.

Anybody know any good fictional books on submarine warfare?

Thanks,

Eurasia.
Euraisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 06:16 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Fictional on modern sub warfare? Go here and type in Michael Dimercurio.
Old 03-04-19, 10:08 AM   #4
keteimporta
Nub

Downloads: 2

Hi Commanders, (excuse my English, it is not my mother language)

After almost 15 years without playing submarine simulators, I'm now in the mood of that. First, I will answer the questions proposed by the staff:
  • Describe your first sub game: well, first memory I have about a sub game is "Sub Battle Simulator" on a Macintosh when I was a University student (1987 or so). Then I played GATO Class submarine on my first PC, both on monochrome displays, of course. Then came a gap until Silent Hunter came to my hands. I played a bit of SH-2, and even less SH-3. And I stopped playing there.

• How you came across Subsim: I don't really remember. I have a "Super sub sim cd" with patches for SH and SH-2, so I think I had a previous account, and I even made a donation a lot of years ago...

• What the weather is like today in your part of the world: sunny. I live in Zaragoza (Spain), and the nearest sea is about 250 Kms (155 Mi) from my city. We have a semi-desert near us, called "Monegros"; there is a legend about that name: legend (not History) says that is derived from "Montes Negros" (Black Hills) because there were extense forest of "Juniperus thurifera", so dense that light had difficult in going across, similar name to the "Black Forest" on the south-west Germany (but different trees). Legend says that a massive cut of trees was made for the construction of the spanish "Armada Invencible" (Spanish Armada) on the XVIth century, and then the forest became a desert... Anyway, living far from sea, it is weird I'm interested in sea warfare simulations, I know

• Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks: only German ones, WWII period.

• How many slices of pizza you normally consume: 1 pizza every week is good enough for me.

• How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October: not so often enough; but I don't really need it, because I know almost every frame of them...

• What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman): I'm too old for X-Men or Marvel heroes, sorry (I've lost the interest in the last movies of Marvel, for example).
And now I have a question for all of us: after being out of simulators for almots 15 years... What's the game I must play? Is SH-5 worthy, of I rather must play SH-3?

Cheers
keteimporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 11:32 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

keteimporta!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 09:16 AM   #6
Hubert Manche
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 4

Hi everybody!

As a new guy here, i would like to introduce myself.

The name is Hubert Manche.

-Describe your first sub game
Well, i remember playing a sub simulation on Atari 1040ST but i can't remember the name, just perhaps the name of the editor “Microprose”.
Maybe USS 688 or something like that…

-How you came across Subsim
I search for the best on sub sim on the internet and i found you!

-What the weather is like today in your part of the world
Grey here, like the weather on Atlantic North, June the 23rd of 1941.

-Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks
U-boats, i'm a kind of vintage guy

-How many slices of pizza you normally consume
The whole pizza, why?

-How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October
Das Boot a lot. I remember buying the DVD on import from US and paying the double of the price!

-What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman)
Going under water

-Or just about anything that interests you!
Well, i also like military flying sim, like DCS.
Hubert Manche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 11:36 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Hubert Manche!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-06-19, 01:22 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Welcome aboard, mates!

Enjoy SUBSIM!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 10:44 PM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard All New Members!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 12:04 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

Joshua lyng!

Old 03-20-19, 11:20 AM   #11
AmateurCaptain
Nub

Downloads: 4

Hello, I am a new member here.

I'm an avid fan of all things naval. I live in Portsmouth the heart of Royal Navy history.
  • Describe your first sub game: My first sub game was Silent Hunter 3, and I would say I am quite new to sub sims, even though I enjoy naval history and technology (and Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea and any Joseph Conrad nautical novel).
  • How you came across Subsim: Simply because whenever I search for Silent Hunter content (mods, tips etc.) this website always comes up.
  • What the weather is like today in your part of the world: Sunny but chilly. I am currently at University in the British midlands.
  • Do you like U-boats best or American subs, or Russian fast attacks: I like the old subs all the way from the French Plongeur to ww2 subs. But I also like modern subs and am interested in getting Cold Waters. In particular, I am a fan of ww2 Polish subs (being Polish myself) such as the ORP Orzel and ORP Wilk which managed to escape to England. The two subs ORP Sokól and Dzik were two U-class subs serving in the Polish navy, that earned the nickname of 'the terrible twins' for their successful carrier in the mediterranean.
  • How many slices of pizza you normally consume: Usually half a pizza, then save the rest for later.
  • How many times you've watched Das Boot or Hunt for Red October: Das boot is my favourite submarine film easily. Although 20,000 leagues under the sea is great too.
  • What your superpower would be if your were an X-Man (or woman): Wouldn't mind having powers like Poseidon/Neptune.
  • Other games that interest me include: Il-2 1946, Mount & blade series, Arma 3 and any strategy/historical games.
I look forward to getting to know you all.

PS- Does anyone know how we can change our profile picture?
AmateurCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 12:48 PM   #12
Klauklau
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6

Hello all, new recruit here !

I am Nicolas, before everything else an history enthusiast...
I came in the nets of Subsim because I played SH1 on my dad's computer... Then SH2, then SH3 (things started to get serious for me because I was then patient enough to enjoy the little things of submarine simulation, like manual targeting and stop blindlessly ramming my opponent. I remember seeing Das Boot for the first time at that moment.

After a looong pause in the submarine world (but still enjoying historical games and simulations), I return to my first love with SH5 (modded !). I hope the journey to be great !

Oh, and somehow I collect historical documents of WW2.
Klauklau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 03:17 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

Klauklau!& Amateur Captain!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-21-19 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:22 PM   #14
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauklau View Post
Hello all, new recruit here !

I am Nicolas, before everything else an history enthusiast...
I came in the nets of Subsim because I played SH1 on my dad's computer... Then SH2, then SH3 (things started to get serious for me because I was then patient enough to enjoy the little things of submarine simulation, like manual targeting and stop blindlessly ramming my opponent. I remember seeing Das Boot for the first time at that moment.

After a looong pause in the submarine world (but still enjoying historical games and simulations), I return to my first love with SH5 (modded !). I hope the journey to be great !

Oh, and somehow I collect historical documents of WW2.
Welcome aboard and enjoy SUBSIM!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 03-21-19, 12:43 PM   #15
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Dear New Members:

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

Enjoy!

Fitzcarraldo

Tags
contest