SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-19, 03:44 AM   #1
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Default Advice please guys

A huge Subsim fan with countless hours in the excellent Silent Hunter 3 and almost equal amounts in an heavily modded Silent Hunter 5 (thank God for the mod writers) and am wondering whether this game is worth getting.

Is there is a Solo Tutorial for learning the positions before looking to find an MP crew to sail the seas with.

My one concern from videos I have seen is players not knowing their ship positions and talking over each other and am hoping there are more "professional" crews out there.
Thanks in advance.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 06:40 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

There is no tutorial in game. At best there is the manual that you can consult in-game I think. (There are a few player created guides on Steam though)

As for your crew behavior, yeah I'm afraid every multiplayer game can suffer from disorganized team members. With a full crew I guess it is better for every member to focus on their own station. But with a small crew I tend to do it whenever the (self-) assinged officer if elsewhere. But I will mention what I did in text-chat or on voice comms.

You can play on your own in a private lobby session and try each station out. Then you have total control on what happens in the boat. But that is for better or worse.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 06:59 AM   #3
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

I've been playing for the past week or so with different people so I can answer you from my experience.

If you want to practice solo before playing with others (that's what I did for the first 2 days) the best thing to do is to start an "invisible lobby" and set the mode to easy.

Once the game starts I'd also suggest going to the bridge first to check the weather.

While the fog can be very helpful if you know what you're doing it makes learning the game a bit more difficult so if you start in a fog just restart the game with different time settings.

The game is manageable solo. The tricky part for me was to keep the boat at a constant depth near PD, but I managed it by leaving just a tiny bit of water in the negative tank (below 0 and 1st notch).

As for playing with others, I didn't find it that much of a problem.
It is still just a video game, so don't expect military discipline and you'll have a lot more fun. And if you want a serious game, just ask on Discord and find a group that does that.

Funny thing is, from my current experience, we've been more successful (and had more fun) with a group of 2-3 competent ppl playing casually, than with a full crew with fixed roles etc.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 07:00 AM   #4
Mowgli
Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
You can play on your own in a private lobby session and try each station out. Then you have total control on what happens in the boat. But that is for better or worse.
Thank you for your informative reply. Basically I just want to learn all the positions so I know what is happening and to Master a few of the skills so I can be a good crewman for an experienced Kaleun.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Old 04-01-19, 07:19 AM   #5
Mowgli
Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
I've been playing for the past week or so with different people so I can answer you from my experience.
Useful info thank you
Old 04-01-19, 07:33 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Invisible lobby would be more prudent to be alone. But I heard there was a bug in it where people could still find and join you. Private it is on an invite-basis for Steam friends. So you should have control who enters by mere invitation or not.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 02:34 PM   #7
jdski
Gunner

Downloads: 8

I can confirm, people can find you with invisible lobby because I've had it happen to me. Not with private or friends only, other than invites or friends of course.
jdski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 06:39 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Join one of my tutorial games, I'll be happy to help you.