SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-16, 04:57 PM   #1
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0
Default oh Woe is me - or 'oh bother', if that is too dramatic

just put Windows Seven on again, which means I have to put the games on again (sigh). Expected SH4 to be straightforward as it is the Gold version as a download from GamersGate. it all went on fine and I put the mods in, but when I click on the game icon it wants a key. I don't remember that being necessary before - but I DO recall there was a little app that would allow you to disable Tages security - but I can't recall what it was called - can you help please?

Ta

oh, I found the serial number on the GamersGate page, and put that in when prompted, but it returns 'unexpected error 13:6' any ideas on that please?

found an old thread on here and tried to follow that by getting new Tage drivers - but it doesn't seem to work as it ought - I get no activation info from their server, and the page gets reset when i click on a link. Perhaps it is all defunct now. Sure I did not need to jump through hoops before. Have asked GamersGate for advice, but if anyone knows of that little tool for uninstalling Tage altogether, that might be the way to go

Last edited by She-Wolf; 12-03-16 at 05:26 PM.
She-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 07:02 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Is it a Ubisoft box asking for the key? If it won't take your serial number, you might have to email Ubisoft tech support, get a Support Ticket, and then follow that trail for them to answer you, since they don't send directly to your email (why? I ask...) Anyway, they might have to re-set your account stuff. I had to do that the last time I installed my v1.x whatever and applied the Uboats to it. I'd done like a fifth install, and that's all they allow anymore apparently, so they re-set my account... Hopefully, that's all you've got. It's either them, or the company you purchased through, if they do the "security"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 04:47 AM   #3
She-Wolf
Watchdog

it is a GamersGate download so Ubisoft are not directly involved. I think it has something to do with the BIOS being UEFI from what I have read, but what the connection might be evades me. I did find the Tages uninstall tool, but it does not seem to work on here - the activation box comes up even after they are supposedly uninstalled. I moved the two Tages driver files out of System32, and that did not help either, so am going to see if there is anything running in the background in Services and through Process Explorer. If push comes to shove I can always try running the Gold DVD I have squirreled away somewhere, but I would prefer to use the online version if I can crack it!

well, that was a frustrating exercise as the 'uninstall' info from Tages site did not match the reality of what files, hidden or not, are on my system, or in the registry, and despite me eliminating every trace of Tages files and drivers that I could locate, that bloomin' activation message was still coming up - so I scrubbed the download version and found the old DVD ( with a key) and installed that - and whaddya know, it did not ask me for the key, and, best of all, I don't need to keep the disk in, so I am on the wet stuff again and happy. One thing I don't like is the blue-ness of the water, but I can probably find a mod to modify that. TMO and the patch is on, and 'stop the shouting', so I am good to go. Cap'n Pawz She-Wolf is sailing again!

Last edited by She-Wolf; 12-04-16 at 11:45 AM.
She-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 12:52 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

You might be stuck and need to deal with GamersGate for a new activation key or to reactivate your key again if it is anything like Direct2Drive was. They were helpful and easy to deal with and it only took about two hours for them to re-set it.

I got my original install that I still play from the now defunct (old) Direct2Drive. I was told SH4 v1.0 had no copy protection like StarForce, and after patch 1.3 or 1.4, no need to put the DVD in (which is why I went with the digital download in the first place - I hate putting DVD's in).

I'm glad I haven't bought anything from 'Steam', and never heard of 'GamersGate' until now, "a Sweden-based online video game store .... It is a competitor to online video game services such as Steam, GOG.com, Direct2Drive, and Impulse." - according to Wikipedia. This is why it sounds like you need to deal with GamersGate again.

From Wikipedia (for those who might not know, like me:

"Tagès SA provides an official, standalone, device driver installation and uninstallation program. This program functions as a toggle; once the Tagès device drivers are installed, the program will function as an uninstaller, otherwise, it will function as an installer. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the program are available."

"Known issues- because you changed operating systems back to Win7 this may affect you?:
"Tagès may be used to bind an activated game copy to the hardware configuration in the time the game was installed. This has led to issues in some games where even slightly modifying the hardware (e.g. replacing the graphic card) would require reactivating the game (either by using up one of the limited extra activations provided by the game publisher, or trying to request activation renewal from technical support)."

Good luck

Last edited by aanker; 12-04-16 at 01:02 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 02:29 PM   #5
She-Wolf
Watchdog

thank you for all that aanker. I did message GamersGate (who I see as closer in kind to a GOG portal than Steam) but do not expect a response until Monday at least. I have not had this problem before - when I setup this computer, about two years ago, everything went on as it ought, including the GG download of SH4 Gold, so I do not understand the problem this time - but no matter, the game is on via the DVD, no key required and no disk in drive needed to play, so I am happy Am suprised you look with disfavour on Steam - I have bought many games from them and quite a few at bargain prices and have had no grumbles with them at all.

Old 12-04-16, 03:24 PM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Thank you, I will put your opinion of Steam in the positive column - I'm willing to try it.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 09:55 AM   #7
She-Wolf
Watchdog

sehr gut!