SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-20, 01:17 AM   #46
MrMojok69
Loader

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Sorry, I missed this reply. I was hunting submarines, though I can't remember the exact mission brief description.
MrMojok69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 01:31 AM   #47
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default TLAM Strike at Murmansk

Silent Hunter 3 & 4 since 2005. Have watched Cold Waters video on YouTube for the last 2 years. Recently installed game and added the 1990 Campaign (v3 I believe) which is fantastic compared to stock.

Regarding TLAM Strike; it seems to be different than the stock versions that requires shooting 8 TLAMs at a small circle or small square?

Completed several patrols & missions and I've now been sent to Murmansk twice. I've fired 8 TLAMs on each mission towards the ports to the south and received no credit or completions so far. On the second attempt, I made sure I was within 100nm (2 kmeters) of the ports based on a tip from YouTube. Followed one TLAM in as it made land, began circling like it was looking for its target and then it hit an area on land but this didn't look like a target area to me.

I've rearmed and have again been ordered back to Murmansk for another TLAM strike. Is there something I'm missing or not doing in order to get credit for this mission? Does the aiming line and end point need to be placed directly on the port symbol?

This is beginning to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day and I'm stuck repeating this mission over & over. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Conducted TLAM strike again. Aiming point was to the south over the ports and outside of the red boundary marker. Followed two TLAMs into an industrial area after a rather long flight. First one hit between two buildings. Second one flew within this industrial area without stopping and never hit a thing, nor the ground.

Sub returned to port without any credit for mission and was reassigned the TLAM strike at Murmansk for a 4th straight time. I can't get past this mission, all I can do is free roam around the map but will not earn any credit I guess? I'm stuck.

Is it possible to remove the TLAM strike out of your 1990 mod? If so, how can I do it?

GSmith, please let me know.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-07-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 09:26 PM   #48
GSmith63
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok69 View Post
Sorry, I missed this reply. I was hunting submarines, though I can't remember the exact mission brief description.
Thanks MrMojok. I think I know what this issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Silent Hunter 3 & 4 since 2005. Have watched Cold Waters video on YouTube for the last 2 years. Recently installed game and added the 1990 Campaign (v3 I believe) which is fantastic compared to stock.

Regarding TLAM Strike; it seems to be different than the stock versions that requires shooting 8 TLAMs at a small circle or small square?

Completed several patrols & missions and I've now been sent to Murmansk twice. I've fired 8 TLAMs on each mission towards the ports to the south and received no credit or completions so far. On the second attempt, I made sure I was within 100nm (2 kmeters) of the ports based on a tip from YouTube. Followed one TLAM in as it made land, began circling like it was looking for its target and then it hit an area on land but this didn't look like a target area to me.

I've rearmed and have again been ordered back to Murmansk for another TLAM strike. Is there something I'm missing or not doing in order to get credit for this mission? Does the aiming line and end point need to be placed directly on the port symbol?

This is beginning to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day and I'm stuck repeating this mission over & over. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Conducted TLAM strike again. Aiming point was to the south over the ports and outside of the red boundary marker. Followed two TLAMs into an industrial area after a rather long flight. First one hit between two buildings. Second one flew within this industrial area without stopping and never hit a thing, nor the ground.

Sub returned to port without any credit for mission and was reassigned the TLAM strike at Murmansk for a 4th straight time. I can't get past this mission, all I can do is free roam around the map but will not earn any credit I guess? I'm stuck.

Is it possible to remove the TLAM strike out of your 1990 mod? If so, how can I do it?

GSmith, please let me know.

Yes von Zelda, you should be firing your TLAMs to the south, preferably while your sub is inside the circle. I didn't change anything on the Land Strike missions between v2 and v3, at least not on purpose! I'll have to check on this one further. The Groundhog Day part is explainable - Because the player might have to return to port and load TLAMS first, you have between 14 and 20 days to complete the mission. So if you have not run out of time, the campaign engine will keep sending you back if it thinks you did not succeed the first time.

So I need to figure out why the campaign thinks you haven't fulfilled the mission goals. Question - Are you sure that you were firing all TLAMs, and not a mix of TLAMs and TASMs (the anti-ship version)? The TLAMs are gray and white, while the TASMs are all white.
GSmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 05:32 AM   #49
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Re: TLAM strike at Murmansk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith63 View Post
...you should be firing your TLAMs to the south, preferably while your sub is inside the circle. I didn't change anything on the Land Strike missions between v2 and v3, at least not on purpose! I'll have to check on this one further. The Groundhog Day part is explainable - Because the player might have to return to port and load TLAMS first, you have between 14 and 20 days to complete the mission. So if you have not run out of time, the campaign engine will keep sending you back if it thinks you did not succeed the first time.

So I need to figure out why the campaign thinks you haven't fulfilled the mission goals. Question - Are you sure that you were firing all TLAMs, and not a mix of TLAMs and TASMs (the anti-ship version)? The TLAMs are gray and white, while the TASMs are all white.
I watched Wolfpack345's YouTube video: Cold Waters || 1990 Campaign || Episode Four - Missile Strike at Murmansk, in which he fired the TLAMs at a nearby red circle. This was probably v1 of your 1990 Campaign.

Keep in mind that I've completed, without credit, Missile Strike at Murmansk three times so far and I'm ordered back again. Yes, I'm firing 8 gray & white TLAMs to the south aimed at the 2 ports. Note, I do not see any red circles, I'm not within any circles and I'm not firing TLAMs at any circles.

Question, when my little blue sub comes close to Murmansk, the mission always starts with a sonar contact. I eliminate the threat and proceed toward Murmansk to fire TLAMs. Is this the correct beginning to the Strike Mission? On one mission, per Jive Turkeys suggestion, I made sure I was within 100nm of the ports.

I'm considering a couple of options until I hear back from you. (1) I'll try to locate and install your v2 to try. (2) I noticed in your Campaign directory there are TLAM strikes for two locations and about 4 or 5 TLAM missions listed. Is it possible, without problems, to delete the TLAM locations and missions from the Campaign directory in your v3 and then replay v3 1990 Campaign from the beginning and thus completely bypass all TLAM missions? Edit: Neither of these options worked!

Would it be possible that when you fail to complete a mission, you're assigned a totally new mission? Are your mission assignments random or are they always assigned and completed in order from A to Z until the end?

Is it possible to produce a Free Roaming version of your 1990 Campaign. I believe there was one for the stock 1984 Campaign that ended with an Insertion Mission. I believe I read that it no longer works with Cold Waters v1.15g

Let me know what you find. Give me some ideas & options to try. Your 1990 Campaign is just TOO GOOD for me not to find away around this problem.

Edit: it seems that v2 is no longer available to download; only v1 and v3.
Correction: I found v2a in the SubSim Download section. v2a is from Jan 2020, v3 is from June 2020; to set the record straight.

Can not delete or remove TLAM missions and location files from Campaign 04 because you get an error message and game will not load.

Thus, is there a way to totally delete the TLAM strike missions from v3? Just curious.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-08-20 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 05:51 AM   #50
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24

Quote:
I watched Wolfpack345's YouTube video: Cold Waters || 1990 Campaign || Episode Four - Missile Strike at Murmansk, in which he fired the TLAMs at a nearby red circle. This was probably v1 of your 1990 Campaign.

Keep in mind that I've completed, without credit, Missile Strike at Murmansk three times so far and I'm ordered back again. Yes, I'm firing 8 gray & white TLAMs to the south aimed at the 2 ports. Note, I do not see any red circles, I'm not within any circles and I'm not firing TLAMs at any circles.

Question, when my little blue sub comes close to Murmansk, the mission always starts with a sonar contact. I eliminate the threat and proceed toward Murmansk to fire TLAMs. Is this the correct beginning to the Strike Mission? On one mission, per Jive Turkeys suggestion, I made sure I was within 100nm of the ports.

I'm considering a couple of options until I hear back from you. (1) I'll try to locate and install your v2 to try. (2) I noticed in your Campaign directory there are TLAM strikes for two locations and about 4 or 5 TLAM missions listed. Is it possible, without problems, to delete the TLAM locations and missions from the Campaign directory in your v3 and then replay v3 1990 Campaign from the beginning and thus completely bypass all TLAM missions?

Would it be possible that when you fail to complete a mission, you're assigned a totally new mission? Are your mission assignments random or are they always assigned and completed in order from A to Z until the end?

Is it possible to produce a Free Roaming version of your 1990 Campaign. I believe there was one for the stock 1984 Campaign that ended with an Insertion Mission. I believe I read that it no longer works with Cold Waters v1.15g

Let me know what you find. Give me some ideas & options to try. Your 1990 Campaign is just TOO GOOD for me not to find away around this problem.
Never played this mod, but I've heard similar complaints in EM. In that cases players was intercepted by ASW patrols near target location. When you intercepted like this you're spawn in a mission area but this is NOT a mission. You can hit "Escape" and check if you actually have "Misiilie strike: 0/X" requirement. If not - do NOT fire your missilies, this will not count.
Dunno if it is your situation, but it could be...
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 05:55 AM   #51
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 View Post
Never played this mod, but I've heard similar complaints in EM. In that cases players was intercepted by ASW patrols near target location. When you intercepted like this you're spawn in a mission area but this is NOT a mission. You can hit "Escape" and check if you actually have "Misiilie strike: 0/X" requirement. If not - do NOT fire your missilies, this will not count.
Dunno if it is your situation, but it could be...
Thanks. Will try a 4th time. How do you know when the mission spawns correctly?
Old 07-08-20, 06:32 AM   #52
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Thanks. Will try a 4th time. How do you know when the mission spawns correctly?
You should see a new line in "Escape key" menu. Something like "LAND STRIKE COMPLETE" it should be in red untill you fire all required missilies. Note that you do NOT need to actually hit something. You just need to fire required amount of missilies. Direction is unimportant.
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 08:15 AM   #53
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 View Post
..... intercepted like this you're spawn in a mission area but this is NOT a mission. You can hit "Escape" and check if you actually have "Misiilie strike: 0/X" requirement. If not - do NOT fire your missilies, this will not count. Dunno if it is your situation, but it could be...
Thanks M134, I think you've hit upon the solution. I'll try to get the little blue sub even closer to Murmansk and make sure that I've spawned the missile strike mission before launching. Chock this up to my Cold Waters inexperience.

Edit: Success, TLAM Strikes do work when you get a little closer to the target.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-08-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 07:19 PM   #54
MrMojok69
Loader

Just FYI, in every campaign in this game, in the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\override\ca mpaign\CAMPAIGNNAME there is a file called campaign_data.txt

If you open that file and search for "frequency" it will take you to this part of the file:

[PLAYER MISSIONS]
//Last mission is the FINAL MISSION for the campaign
//Second to last mission is simple RETURN TO BASE
PlayerMissionTypes=SURGE,SSN_WOLFPACK,SS_WOLFPACK, SS_SPECOPS,INSERTION,LAND_STRIKE,ASUW_STRIKE,LANDI NG_FORCE,RESUPPLY_CONVOY,SHIP_RESUPPLY,SUB_RESUPPL Y,SSN_WOLFPACK_LG,SS_WOLFPACK_LG,SS_SPECOPS_LG,ASU W_STRIKE_LG,RETURN_TO_BASE,SSBN_PATROL
//Last two missions are not included on frequency list
//Sum of frequencies must equal 1
PlayerMissionFrequency=0.0001,0.07,0.045,0.03,0.02 ,0.001,0.034,0.04,0.025,0.05,0.05,0.22,0.175,0.119 9,0.12

The "PlayerMissionTypes" correspond to the "PlayerMissionFrequency" below.

So, the first mission type listed in the PlayerMissionType section is SURGE

That corresponds to the first value in the PlayerMissionFrequency list, which is 0.0001. That's the chance that you will be assigned that mission, during the campaign.

All of the numeric values in the PlayerMissionFrequency list must total 1.00

So let's say you just don't like to do SpecOps insertions. MissionType INSERTION has a MissionFrequency of 0.02.

You could reduce that number down to something absurdly small, or perhaps to zero, and then increase other mission probabilities to get the total back up to 1.

As always, make a backup of the file before you edit it. It helps me to put all the values and mission types into a spreadsheet so I can easily look at what I want to change to get the total back up to 1.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 07-08-20, 08:24 PM   #55
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
Thanks M134, I think you've hit upon the solution. I'll try to get the little blue sub even closer to Murmansk and make sure that I've spawned the missile strike mission before launching. Chock this up to my Cold Waters inexperience.

Edit: Success, TLAM Strikes do work when you get a little closer to the target.
Sorry folks, I was working today and didn't have time to check the boards.

von Zelda - Glad you got it working OK!

M134 and MrMojok - Thanks for the assist!
Old 07-08-20, 09:52 PM   #56
GSmith63
Sailor man

Default 1990 Realism Campaign V3a now Available

Update 3a is now available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D47...ew?usp=sharing

Entire change log posted below:

Update 3a (8 Jul 2020)

* Fixed issue with sonar signatures of AI-spawned merchant ships.

Update 3 (18 Jun 2020)
* Added two new SSBN missions, including one "non-bastion" mission, and modified the two original missions to increase the likelihood of encountering more than one SSBN.
* Modified the likely numbers of enemy submarines per mission in order to better simulate attrition. Factors now include distance from the enemy homeport, the stage of the war, and the tonnage of enemy vessels sunk so far. Generally this has led to an increase in the size of enemy groups and more front-line units encountered early in the conflict. Conversely, there are likely to be smaller numbers of lower-quality forces in later stages of the war if NATO is winning.
* Modified Insertion missions to start 50 percent closer to insertion point.
* Modified mission frequency and mission threshold parameters for improved and more immersive campaign play.
* Created 20 new 'mission end' events. Completely re-wrote previous mission event end screen "news print" text with multiple possible story lines per mission type.
* Added all new artwork to original and new mission event end screens - Over 30 new background images and over 20 new "news photos."

Update 2a (2 Jan 2020)
* Fixed problems with damage control display on Flt 1 and 2 Los Angeles class.

Update 2 (20 Dec 19)
* Added four new missions, including one that can be deceptively difficult.
* Fixed crash error in one Land Attack mission
* Added an increased chance of more enemy submarines per mission, and more advanced submarines in general, especially early in the war.
* Made minor changes to surface ship task force structure.
* Made campaign map patrol zones a little darker.

Update 1 (7 Sep 19)
* Fixed some spelling errors.

See the original posts on this thread for info on the major initial campaign mods.

Last edited by GSmith63; 07-08-20 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 10:50 PM   #57
MrMojok69
Loader

Thanks, GSmith!
Old 07-09-20, 08:45 PM   #58
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default small technical problem & 2 question

GSmith,
I've noticed a small technical problem. It does not appear in the un-modded stock game or in stock game modded with a 2004 Campaign.

It may seem minor but the problem is the three little ships under the sonar water fall on the Signature Panel. The Sub always works when clicked on but the Warship and the Merchant ship do not work. I've recently compared your v2a, v3 and v3a where thay don't work with the stock game and a 2004 Campaign where all three little ships always work. For simplicity, I've compared all five game variations in the first single mission. I assume I'd have the same results if I compared them in Campaign mode? I even re-installed v3a but the warship & the merchant ship still did not work; clicking on the sub did.

Second question, I noticed that weapons seem to load faster in your mod than the stock game and the 2004 Campaign. Again, I compared this in a single mission not Campaign.
I noticed a difference of values in a Config file under the game's Default directory with the Config file in v2a, v3, & v3a Override's directory as follows:
PlayerWeaponReloadTime=0.8,1,1.5,2 (in default) vs. PlayerWeaponReloadTime=0.1,0.3,1,1 (in mod's override).
Just curious if we felt a need to adjust the loading times in 1990 mod?

Third question on a similar note, looking at Options, Video, HUD Size we find the choice: 1 - 1.35 - 1.65
As opposed to HUD, Panels, Etc. going larger as these figures do, I'd love to see a slight reduction (not much, just a little) in HUD size to about 0.7 to about 0.8

I've looked but can not find a way to make this player modification. Just hoping with your experience, you might know of a way to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by von Zelda; 07-10-20 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 12:18 AM   #59
MrMojok69
Loader

von Zelda,

I can answer one of these.

The weapon reload times are the values in the individual sub files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\override\ve ssels

It's this one. This is seconds:

[Weapon Systems]
TorpedoTypes=usn_mk48_adcap,usn_moss,usn_ugm84,usn _tasm,usn_tlam
TorpedoNumbers=21,0,4,0,0
TorpedoTubes=4
NumberOfWires=4
TubeConfig=1,1,1,1
TorpedoTubeSize=21
TubeReloadTime=480

The default in the game is 45 seconds, if I recall. GSmith's mod increases it to 480 seconds, which makes a lot more sense and makes it a lot more fun IMO.

I increase the reload time to 480 in all the campaigns I play.
Old 07-10-20, 04:14 AM   #60
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Tube Reload Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok69 View Post
I can answer one of these.
The weapon reload times are the values in the individual sub files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\override\ve ssels

It's this one. This is seconds:

[Weapon Systems]
TorpedoTypes=usn_mk48_adcap,usn_moss,usn_ugm84,usn _tasm,usn_tlam
TorpedoNumbers=21,0,4,0,0
TorpedoTubes=4
NumberOfWires=4
TubeConfig=1,1,1,1
TorpedoTubeSize=21
TubeReloadTime=480

The default in the game is 45 seconds, if I recall. GSmith's mod increases it to 480 seconds, which makes a lot more sense and makes it a lot more fun IMO. I increase the reload time to 480 in all the campaigns I play.
Thanks MrMojok69.

I can see what you mean about tube reloading times. Stock game has Russian subs around 30 and US around 40. I noticed that the 1990 Campaign mod has also increased the Russian subs to about 300 to make things comparable.

It then appears that PlayerWeaponReload Time=0.8,1,1.5,2 in the config file (and 0.1,0.3,1,1 in the 1990 Campaign) must be a modifier for the player's difficulty level as selected (//Easy, Normal, Hard, Elite).

Thus, for me, in easy mode, I would be either 40 x 0.8 = 32 in stock vs. 480 x 0.1 = 48 in 1990 mod.

Sounds about right with a slightly longer reload time in the 1990 mod, in all difficulty levels. Note: I've only played Cold Waters for a few days but I am improving. Thanks again.

Tags
campaign, fixes, new content, realism