Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-20, 03:40 PM   #1
Voxman
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Bypass need for CD to run Sh4

Guys and Gals!
It’s been a long time since I last installed SH4 on a PC but I had to install SH4 on my new Windows 10 PC. After I installed game, I ran into situation where it keeps requiring that the game CD be in the player in order to continue loading However I can’t remember what I had to do to bypass having the CD in player in order to load game. If anyone can reply with instructions or where to find it in the forum I’d be most grateful.
Thanks very much!

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I try to remember how I loaded the different patches that I downloaded years ago...
Voxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 07:42 PM   #2
Voxman
Watch

Default Puzzled?

I'm really at a loss to understand why I haven't received any reply to my post. I think I'm in the correct area to ask questions like this. I see folks have viewed the post but no one has answered my query.
I'm positive that I got an answer years ago to this but after all these years I've completely forgotten how its done.
And I've sent messages to some of the moderators too but so far no reply.
Can someone please acknowledge my presence on the forum and advise me what I'm doing wrong.
thanks so much!
Old 01-27-20, 06:33 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi V
It maybe you need to open the drive for the CD and click on the install application exe to start the install procedure.
When the CD runs up to speed you should have Install showing on the menu.
Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-20, 09:39 AM   #4
Voxman
Watch

Default Not the question I needed answer to...thanks anyways

Thank you for your trying to help me out. At least I got a response although it was not the related/answer to the issue I needed resolved.
Let me restate my problem.
The game installed using the CD without issue. It runs fine WITH THE CD LOADED IN THE CD DRIVE. However all the past installs I’ve done NEVER REQUIRED HAVING THE CD IN THE DRIVE TO PLAY GAME. I have the game loaded on an old PC and it plays fine without the install CD physically loaded in drive. I have a NEW Windows 10 PC that I loaded it on but when i try to play game , it requires having the CD in the drive in order to continue loading game.

So, does anyone know how to bypass the requirement of having the CD in the drive to play game. I know it’s possible but don’t remember the simple process to change the game loading requirement.

Thanks again sir for trying to help...at least someone is awake out there and willing to reply. Still puzzled by lack of response.
Gary
Old 01-27-20, 09:58 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER

Hi V
Check what if anything is showing Silent Hunter 4 in the control panels program and features?

When your DVD loads it currently shows Install blanked out yes?

Open your drive where your DVD is and change the installer
application to run as an administrator.
Click on the windows installer to install the game.
Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 01-27-20 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 10:29 AM   #6
Voxman
Watch

You’re going to have to be patient with me as I don’t quite understand what you’re telling me to do.
The game is installed.
If I click on the SH4 icon on desktop, it requests the CD be in the drive to continue. There isn’t any further actions available...it’s either retry or cancel.
When I put the CD in the drive, it asks what do I want to do with the CD and gives me 3 choices:
Run Sh4 autorun.exe
Or
Open folder to view files
Or
Take no action.

Do you want me to delete SH4 from PC and then reload it?
Old 01-27-20, 01:23 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi V
Quote:
Run Sh4 autorun.exe
This is the option to choose which should start the instaal procedure by asking you where to install the game.

Quote:
Open folder to view files
This option by-passes the auto run and shows you the files which is the same as you clicking on the DVD drive.

The game should not be installed in the default folder which is a restricted directory.
Something like a Games folder so you would have C:\Games\Silent Hunter 4 as your install path showing as the install path in the browser install field.
Quote:
Do you want me to delete SH4 from PC and then reload it?
No, Run SH4 autrun.exe first and see what response you get.

Peter
Old 01-27-20, 03:25 PM   #8
Voxman
Watch

Default Clear as mud

Apparently I’m too damn stupid to follow whatever it is you’re trying to get me to do.
Could you stop by my house and hold my hand because the steps made no sense.
I did reinstall game in another new folder but there wasn’t any difference...the game insists I have the CD in the drive to run game.
Honestly I don’t know what steps to take from square one anymore.
SH4autorun is only found on the install CD.
There is NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH IT WAS THIS DIFFICULT TO BYPASS THE CD on all the installs I did up to now. I’ve installed this game at least 4 times in the past on different computers without issue.
Another weird thing is the installation of GAMESHADOW that is loaded during the install process. Never heard of it and it’s not on any of my other computers. Is this something new or a Win10 piece of garbage?

Ok...I can understand if you give up on me...I’m getting tired of trying these oddball steps to eliminate the CD. Sorry I’m just very frustrated...I used to be very savvy on computers but now I’m not so sure anymore.
Old 01-27-20, 05:04 PM   #9
THEBERBSTER

Hi V
I will PM you.
Peter