SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-07, 07:03 AM   #1
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default [REL] SH4 v1.3 Real Navigation Mod

With permision from Kaleun Freddie and Vanjast i have compiled a mod for Real Navigation for SH4.

It is similar to the mod for SH3, but with differencies.
The differencies being that its based on my Menuxxxxxxx.ini file and that i have modded the camera- and scenefiles to be as close to real as possible.

First the visibility has been increased to about 20km with a Horizon setting of 2300 upped from the default 1000 that gives 8km. This first of all enables you to track ships over the horizon from the masts and funnels, but allso puts the horizon at the correct "level" for SR and SS measurements.

Secondly the periscope, binocular and TBT angular angles has been fixed to you can measure correct altitudes of fx. landmass with the scope. I dont know how accurate the landmass altitudes are, but IF its somewhat precise you can plot from land sightings now non the less.

Thired I have deminished the sunsize to the real live angular size of 0,5° - so it will be a lot smaller then your used to. Same value goes for the moon as it shares angular size with the sun.

Fourth I have allso made a new sextant image that pops up with the stopwatch, and is draggable with it. To me this works just fine as im used to use the stopwatch anyway when taking sun rises/sets.

I have included all the documentation that has helped me to figure out how to do this incredebly complicated way of navigating - im sure glad i live in the age of GPS...

Best Regards
Martin "Mav" Vinther

It can be downloaded here:

http://files.filefront.com/SH4+v13+R.../fileinfo.html

ps. I can not respond to questions the next week or so due to vacation, so please be patient.
Old 07-29-07, 12:28 PM   #2
sqk7744
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Mav87th Very Cool!

downloading now
sqk7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 12:58 PM   #3
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

YEY! Way cool. you actually see the smoke stacks????
Could you post the tweaks, cause I need to do this manually. Please!
Old 07-29-07, 04:21 PM   #4
Mav87th
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

CaptainCox i guess you meen the fixes to the scene.dat file only right?

If so you need to alter the tweek file by appending the green lines shown here:

........snip
absolute,color,1A21,TailColor
absolute,single,1A33,TailAlpha

[32]
DropDownName=Lightning
absolute,single,1B56,Height
absolute,single,1B6A,MinDistance
absolute,single,1B7E,MaxDistance
absolute,single,1B8E,MinTime
absolute,single,1B9E,MaxTime

[33]
DropDownName=Horizon
search,Camera,1,Single,+11,ZMax

END of the scene.dat tweekfile

Then you open Scene.dat via the Tweeker tool and make the setting for the Horizon to be 2500 - voila 20km visibility.

Mind i said i could see the stacks - not the smoke it self.....
Old 07-29-07, 10:15 PM   #5
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Cheers man. Will have a look when i wake up properly here (DARN CATS!, hungry and its only 5 AM, back to bed)
Old 07-30-07, 06:03 AM   #6
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Brilliant Mav...and about time too, what took you ?

Old 09-19-07, 06:08 PM   #7
ICApproval
Seaman

Plot Course question

When I load this mod I can no longer plot a course. Am I doing something wrong? I must be!

Mark
ICApproval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 02:42 PM   #8
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default ICApproval

this is about manual navagation if you read the read me's for the mod you will see information about what it changes in your game for you to use this properly. Very complicated yes but if you want real life navigation for the 40's before GPS this is the way to go.

Just another way to add more realism to the game for the people who want it.

It teaches you in the read me's how to plot corses and know where you are by using the sexton and maping out everything in the sky to figure out possition and course.

Good luck!! I tryed to do it just couldn't get the hang of it. Good for people who have tryed and was able to sail this way in real life.

Last edited by leovampire; 09-20-07 at 02:58 PM.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 05:37 PM   #9
ICApproval
Seaman

Thanks so much for this clarification - makes sense now.

I do love the revised periscope features for view and magnification. Any way to make just these changes?
ICApproval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 06:37 PM   #10
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default ICApproval

I will go back over the data in a while and see what can be done and get back to you on it just have to check some stuff for our mod release so give me some time then I will get info to you unless someone wants to help you before then.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 10:57 PM   #11
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

i wonder when a manual cooking and manual cleaning up the toilet mod is going to be released. Seriously, what is the navigator good for? A captain is not supposed to track the location of the sub.

I appretiate your work but i have no desire for manual navigation, since im playing captains role and have to concentrate on captains tasks not on the crews. I try to do that in every aspect. I never fire the deckgun on my own and only use sonar and radar stations when it is realy unavoidable due to missing tasks of AI crew.

Now about navigation. I remember another game called "B17 the mighty eight". It was pretty much the same as silent hunter but in a B17 bomber. You ware managing the crew, meeting decisions and if you wanted you could switch to any crew members seat and drop the bombs, shoot at bandits or - navigate...

So why did i mentioned that? The navigation in that game was incredibaly cool. There was a map view simmilar to the one in silent hunter. But it wasnt a godeye. Everything on the map was put in there by the crew and the crew wasnt perfect. The navigator was trying to couple the position of yourself and everything around by looking outside at cities, coasts, roads etc. When there was nothing to see he tried to couple using speed, heading and known wind. But after a while he was totaly lost and your plane was not necessery where it was shown on the map. But the navigator was telling you when he was not sure about present position or when he was totaly lost. In that case you could go to the nav map and drag your plane on it to where you think you should be, or you could look outside yourself and try to find a reference point. That is how real visual navigation work and it was very good in that game. You could never be sure if your position on the map was where you realy were, and you often came out of a cloud cover and found yourself somewhere else and could even here the navigator cursing :-)

Of course there are no referation points that can be used in a sub. Seamen use the sun, stars and the clock. But the same idea would realy improve the game. Making the navigation vulnurable to errors. So the navigator would update the location every few hours and when the visibility condition didnt let him, your position would be flawed or postponed until he can see the sun or the stars again.

That would kickass but you know it is not possible because it goes to deep into game mechanics. Anyway, so far ill stick with GPS mode.

have a nice day.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote