SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-20, 02:56 PM   #1
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Default A Defense of the Dreaded Notepad

Most of us are familiar with the stock SH3 method of data gathering involving the notepad at the top right of the GUI. This was a very hated feature, in part because in general I don’t think it was quite understood why it was implemented that way. It’s also clunky if not used right, so I will cover that too.

Something recently made me take a look back at the SH3 manual, at the section that deals with conducting torpedo attacks. And I must say, a lightbulb went on when I remembered that U-boat skipper Jürgen Oesten was the technical advisor. The methods for gathering AOB and speed in the manual actually mirror what I have read in the KTBs, the U-boat Commander’s Handbook, and Marine-Dienstvorschriften regulations - in other words, his fingerprints are all over this.

I have written before that the preferred method of data gathering on the surface at long range was matching course and speed, called “Ausdampfen”. And here I look back at the SH3 manual, and sure enough, that method is mentioned in there as the more accurate way of gathering data, and I have to agree. Other methods mentioned are eyeballing AOB, which is nothing new and is historical, as well as eyeballing speed, also historical. Fixed wire method for speed is hinted at, also historical. Kudos to Ubisoft for good, sound recommendations in the manual!

So then what about the “notepad speed timing” method? Well, given these other recommendations (matching in particular) for gathering course and speed, it stands to reason the notepad method was actually only designed to be a backup check, and it is actually a pretty good one. But what is this notepad speed timing method actually trying to simulate? It has often been confused with what is known as the fixed wire method, measuring the time the target passes through the fixed wire in the optics and then calculating the speed based on target length and the seconds. But that’s not what this is trying to simulate. Recall that the necessary inputs are a range and an AOB set on the notepad in order for this method to work. The reason that is the case is because what is being simulated here is what was known as “Auswanderungsverfahren” - bearing change procedure. A range was taken, and an AOB estimated, and then the target’s bearing change was measured, usually over a minute, and from these inputs (along with own speed) using some trigonometry, a relatively simple formula, you can determine the target’s speed. The fixed wire method on the other hand isn’t mathematically dependent on range or AOB. This bearing change procedure is something the navigator would’ve assisted with on a slide rule. I am 100% sure that this came from Oesten’s input - the method is so obscure I doubt Ubisoft would’ve figured it out otherwise.

So, how do we use this feature “historically”? First, we make every attempt to gather the data we need (course and speed) while on the surface, by matching course and speed, or performing plotting. We note down the course and speed we determined. When we are making our approach to attack, and need to input data into the TDC, we do speed first, and we use the notepad feature, if we so choose, as a check. And you don’t even need to use the rec manual if that is your style of play, like mine.

1. Use a standard merchant mast of 25-30 m, and use the chart provided in the SH3 manual, each mark in the optics being a degree at 1.5x. Pick a future bearing that you want to start the speed measurement at, say, 45°. Measure the range to target, and then bump that down a little bit to approximate the range at 45°, the bearing we picked. The notepad range input needs an identification, so select the first ship from the book, then play with the “stadimeter” until you get the range answer that is a bit less than the range you measured over the reticle. Once the range is on the notepad, don’t bother sending it to the TDC.

2. Now compute what the target AOB will be at the chosen bearing from the course you determined for the target. Input that on the notepad. Again, don’t bother sending it.

3. Lock the target, and wait until the target crosses your chosen bearing, and then at that moment press the clock speed tool button on the notepad to begin the procedure. Let the procedure continue for 60 seconds. Use the speed result as a check against the speed you determined on the surface. Obviously, the result is dependent on an accurate range and AOB. The AOB should be accurate because you determined the course on the surface, but the range may not be, so just keep that in mind, this is a back up check only.

4. If it is in line with the previously-determined speed, send the speed answer to the TDC (otherwise directly input perhaps an average). If you do not want to use the computed speed, be sure to clear it from the notepad!

5. Put your optics back on your chosen bearing, and send the AOB to the TDC. Note that you must put the optics back on that bearing otherwise the AOB you send will not be correct!

6. Don’t bother with the range portion on the notepad, we only needed that for the bearing change exercise. Simply go to the TDC dials and input roughly the range you think it will be at the shot, and remember, at low gyro angles range hardly matters!

7. This method can also be a fallback if the target changes course or speed after you determined those.

I realize I have attempted to defend what has been considered indefensible for 15 years, but based on my research on U-boat tactics, I get what they were doing there. I hope this causes people to have another look at this feature and see it as a useful (and historical) “tool” in the toolbox.

Gute Jagd und fette Beute!

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ

Last edited by derstosstrupp; 09-13-20 at 03:14 PM.
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 07:49 PM   #2
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Great information Sir.

Thanks for sharing.

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote