SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-20, 04:11 PM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
frankly the whole contretemps is ridiculous and gives greater aid and comfort to any of our enemies foreign and domestic, either of which is bad at this time of prewar buildup for suzerainity of the seas, especially with regard to China and N. Korea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I agree with you on this. Oh good when I am President, I'll make you Secretary of Something...the first requirement is agreeing with his 'Nibs'
Another point is I'm not convinced that the Wuhan lab isn't the site of a biological / chemical weapons development and testing program and that the Corona Virus isn't an experiment gone wrong, or maybe not. Considering Corona Virus is very much an outgrowth of SARS and MERS, is this a natural progression or was this a manipulation of this disease created in a lab ? I believe it is.

Could this be a test of the U.S military China is confronting and it's command and control structures ? If that's the case, then Modly completely missed the big picture and showed we will turn on our own commanders. This sets a dangerous precedent for all commanders in every field of operations. To use a phrase that's all the rage: " Modly is too stupid and naive to continue as acting SecNav."
Precisely. And Modly sounded too much like 'Tweeter' Trump when he publicly excoriated a fellow officer using Trumped up adjectives. Secretaries serve "at the pleasure of the president"...sucking up and boss-emulation go with territory. Mr.Modly probably realized his mistake, and did the right thing in resigning immediatly. Alongside the chicken and swine viruses, also centered on Wuhan, I'm ordering my broker to buy up Tyson Food stock for my portfolio! There's a profit to be made from our hungry Sino-brethren who only seek to emulate us by stealing the intellectual property of the West and expanding their Road & Belt global resource aquistion initiatives, starting with Tibet in '59, which Trump did at least manage to prevent in Greenland. China is not presently the enemy, but is sure a misguided opponent with a China First agenda to offset The Donald's 'Merika First meglomania....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 04:40 PM   #17
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly's trip to Guam to have a little talk with the aircraft carrier Roosevelt's crew about why he replaced their CO ...

Cost the US tax payers $243,000
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 05:23 PM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

IT COSTS $1.5 MILLION A DAY TO OPERATE THE USS NIMITZ; AND $6.5 MILLION TO OPERATE THE CARRIER 'GROUP'....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-09-20, 08:53 PM   #19
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Oh good when I am President, I'll make you Secretary of Something...the first requirement is agreeing with his 'Nibs'
While I somewhat appreciate the offer, I think I will pass on that in a big way. I get into enough trouble now without any help right here.

Although war hasn't been declared, China is certainly the enemy of the U.S. The Navy commanders who sail through the South China Sea understand that all too well. I think it would be in the best interests of the U.S to rebuild their Industrial / manufacturing base including computer tech industries while they still can and end their reliance on China in these critical areas.

One final thought. The Navy commanders of the USS Fitzgerald and USS John McCain involved in the collisions with commercial vessels were not disciplined as quickly as Capt. Crozier was. The Investigation took months regarding these collisions. Capt. Crozier was immediately removed. If anything, The Navy is getting worse in how they handle their affairs.

Quote: Two three-star admirals told ProPublica they had explicitly notified superiors of the growing dangers. The two people who served successive terms as undersecretary of the Navy, the No. 2 position in the civilian command, said they had, too. They produced memos, reports and contemporaneous notes capturing their warnings and the silence or indifference with which they were met. Now, frustrated by what they regard as the Navy and Pentagon’s papering over of their culpability for the twin tragedies, these officials and others have broken with Navy custom and are speaking candidly, naming names and raising concern that the Navy could well repeat its mistakes.

The Navy, embarrassed and scrambling to explain to Congress and America’s allies how such seemingly inexplicable disasters could have happened, moved quickly to prosecute members of ship crews it declared all but incompetent and to strip senior officers of their commands.

https://features.propublica.org/navy...-cause-mccain/

The warning of Field Commanders including admirals was again ignored just as Capt Crozier was. Does this all sound familiar ?

This only Illustrates how unfairly Capt. Crozier was treated. The removal / resignation of Modly was little more than window dressing and a crude attempt at damage control to cover their own incompetence.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-09-20 at 09:07 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 10:36 AM   #20
Dammit_Carl!
Torpedoman

Downloads: 7

Management sets the tone for how subordinates are treated, valued, and respected and when there is toxic leadership, the whole structure suffers as a result.

Not being a Navy person, I can only guess how this sort of action is taking it's toll on career people as well as those souls who probably would have made it a career. Can't recall if such things (i.e. Cpt. Crozier's firing) are currently happening with the other branches but, going by my opening sentence, I shudder to think of just how much damage is being done to all the services if their uniformed leadership is being treated in such a poor fashion.
Dammit_Carl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 11:41 AM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

^A lot of firing at the discretion of superior officers under 'loss of confidence in ability to command' occurs in all branches .

Old 04-10-20, 02:29 PM   #22
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammit_Carl! View Post
Management sets the tone for how subordinates are treated, valued, and respected and when there is toxic leadership, the whole structure suffers as a result.

Not being a Navy person, I can only guess how this sort of action is taking it's toll on career people as well as those souls who probably would have made it a career. Can't recall if such things (i.e. Cpt. Crozier's firing) are currently happening with the other branches but, going by my opening sentence, I shudder to think of just how much damage is being done to all the services if their uniformed leadership is being treated in such a poor fashion.

Exactly. The current administration talks about constructing a 355 ship fleet. I'm wondering how they will crew such an expansive fleet. Certainly, their efforts to crew a large fleet will be jeopardized if they can't recruit and retain enough qualified people. Their treatment of qualified people like Capt. Crozier places that recruitment and retain-ment at risk. I would hope the upper echelon would be smart enough to know and understand that.

Apparently, they are not and the Ill treatment of Capt. Crozier and others, including various admirals, demonstrates that all too clearly.
Old 04-11-20, 08:39 AM   #23
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

There has been an interesting development is the saga of the firing of Capt. Crozier. The Pentagon is considering re-instating Capt. Crozier as the Captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt. Pentagon officials have said their investigation is now complete.

Quote:
The top Navy officer and defense secretary have the same message when it comes to Capt. Brett Crozier being reassigned to the job from which he was removed last week.
"We've taken nothing off the table."

That's what Defense Secretary Mark Esper told CBS News on Friday morning. On Thursday, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Gilday also said he's open to reinstating Crozier as the commanding officer of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt.
"I am taking no options off the table," Gilday told The Associated Press. The CNO hasn't spoken to Crozier, the outlet reported, and isn't facing pressure from anyone about the investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nothing-o...163319226.html

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...iral-says.html

While an admission to a rush to judgement or mistake is not going to happen, this is as close as top officials will come to admitting they erred badly in their treatment and removal of Capt. Crozier.

Maybe they are starting to see the big picture.
Old 04-11-20, 10:39 AM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I sure hope so

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 09:07 AM   #25
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
There has been an interesting development is the saga of the firing of Capt. Crozier. The Pentagon is considering re-instating Capt. Crozier as the Captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt. Pentagon officials have said their investigation is now complete.

Quote:
The top Navy officer and defense secretary have the same message when it comes to Capt. Brett Crozier being reassigned to the job from which he was removed last week.
"We've taken nothing off the table."

That's what Defense Secretary Mark Esper said

"I am taking no options off the table," Gilday told The Associated Press. The CNO hasn't spoken to Crozier, the outlet reported, and isn't facing pressure from anyone about the investigation.

While an admission to a rush to judgement or mistake is not going to happen, this is as close as top officials will come to admitting they erred badly in their treatment and removal of Capt. Crozier.

Thank you for staying on top of it Commander I did not know this and I watch the news everyday.
or achievement

Old 04-14-20, 09:11 AM   #26
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Exactly. The current administration talks about constructing a 355 ship fleet. I'm wondering how they will crew such an expansive fleet. Certainly, their efforts to crew a large fleet will be jeopardized if they can't recruit and retain enough qualified people.
Unmanned ships will be the future controlled by $75,000 a year sailors with joy sticks in planes and manned ships far away.

Did you hear about the new drone carriers on regular looking shipping container ships that have drones inside of the containers yet?
or achievement

Old 04-14-20, 09:19 AM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
frankly the whole contretemps is ridiculous and gives greater aid and comfort to any of our enemies foreign and domestic, either of which is bad at this time of prewar buildup for suzerainity of the seas, especially with regard to China and N. Korea. Captain Crozier did violate the chain of command in a fashion contrary to his training and status as a carrier captain, so some punitive remuneration is required. However the mitigation is also extant, namely that the lives of the sailors, still kids with concerned moms, is paramount. That the captain and over 100 are afflicted with corona in time of peace speaks for itself. Basically it is a 49-51 % solution problem. The well meaning captain needs a slap and the other 11? carrier captains will not err as a result of his minor misjudgement in pursuit of the greater goal-thus he has served to lead by mis-example which is often as effective as leading by example. The proper response is to issue a lesser Navy 'letter of admonishment' which may be put into Capt Crozier's file as opposed to a Navy 'letter of reprimand' which is more severe, and usually career ending. I cannot imagine some other officer really wanting to replace the ill captain aboard a quarantined vessel of major influnce on the high seas. Everyone, from new Sec.of Navy McPherson down, needs to stand-in-place and wait out the quarantine at Guam and pray no other Navy vessel is similarly afflicted. The captain, if he recovers, should be restored to command.
Quote:

NOT QUITE! THEY JUST READ MY POSTS AT THE PENTAGON!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-14-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 09:28 AM   #28
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
NOT QUITE! THEY JUST READ MY POSTS AT THE PENTAGON!
or at least had the same seed thoughts, uh?

Remember all things are spiritual
or achievement

Old 04-14-20, 09:38 AM   #29
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sailors-r...022906188.html

Sailors running nuclear reactors were first to catch coronavirus on aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
The coronavirus outbreak aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt started in the reactor department, according to The New York Times.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt has two nuclear reactors on board that provide energy for ship electrical and propulsion systems, systems that require a specialized crew of reactor operators and maintenance technicians.

The first three cases were reported on March 24. Since then, the number of coronavirus cases aboard the carrier has risen to nearly 600.
I blame the trip to Vietnam ... what admiral authorized that

https://www.bing.com/search?q=USS+Th...C13FF959DC20F7

Quote:
Mar 04, 2020 · The USS Theodore Roosevelt arrived Thursday in Vietnam, becoming only the second U.S. aircraft carrier to make a port call there since the fall of Saigon in 1975.

March 4th to March 24th
or achievement

Old 04-14-20, 10:49 AM   #30
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
or at least had the same seed thoughts, uh?

Remember all things are spiritual
Well it's certainly spiritual for the 40 year-old chief petty officer who has died at Guam, with four more hospitalised as I post...Captain Crozier's case argument, in open letter, is now horribly bonafide. I hope he recovers swiftly and gets back 'on point' ...real soon. A carrier strike force with a cruiser, destroyers et al, and these days, a B-52 overhead, cannot function w/o its carrier...that's 7500 sailors standing down in a crititical theatre of operation...ie: 10% of America's frontline naval power!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-14-20 at 02:26 PM.