SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-19, 11:31 AM   #16
tedh1
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Just ordered the Acrylic Attack Disk, can't wait!
Old 04-29-19, 05:10 PM   #17
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default Attack Disk

Pisces"

I have made two disks from digital photos provided on this site. The front and back of the Attack Disk?. Are any of the wheels on either or both sides fixed like on the Raobf?

Also... I would like to post photos of my disks.... can you direct me to the thread wherein the "how to" post photos is explained.... can not find it.

The biggest problem I am having is making clean attachments to the "Whiz Wheel" ... the half circle, etc.... I had to go with a thin transparency ... cut the items out... place on a plastic ... clear sheet..... mark the plastic ... and cut with my dremel.... real slow. The clear glue works but now I have smudges on several of my items,....... Is there any way we could have the attachments printed in color on a thicker clear plastic?

I thank you for your considered input in the forums....

Roland / CyStryker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 04:13 AM   #18
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslaw View Post
Pisces"

I have made two disks from digital photos provided on this site. The front and back of the Attack Disk?. Are any of the wheels on either or both sides fixed like on the Raobf?
None of them are fixed, they work independantly. But you can ofcourse use the larger disks as backfaces of eachother, then you only have 5 disks stacked on top of each other. Well, aside from the thin transparent pointers.

Quote:
Also... I would like to post photos of my disks.... can you direct me to the thread wherein the "how to" post photos is explained.... can not find it.
It took me a while to dig through Neal's latest responses. But I found it:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/photo_howto/

Quote:
The biggest problem I am having is making clean attachments to the "Whiz Wheel" ... the half circle, etc.... I had to go with a thin transparency ... cut the items out... place on a plastic ... clear sheet..... mark the plastic ... and cut with my dremel.... real slow. The clear glue works but now I have smudges on several of my items,....... Is there any way we could have the attachments printed in color on a thicker clear plastic?

I thank you for your considered input in the forums....

Roland / CyStryker
Same here, I printed my transparent parts on transparent sheets for overhead-projectors. It has a rough surface that my inkjet printer could print on without smearing. As it is still quite thin and flimsy I covered it wil laminating foil. But due to the rough surface meant that you could still see air-bubbles under the laminating foil. It's more like it is a bit misty/milky to look through it. But it is do-able. And the transparent pointers still curl up a bit. I may have ironed them out between layers of cloth at the time.

To attach the transparent pointers to the disks (like the AOB disk and knots-pointer) I think I first stuck them on the sticky side of laminating foil. I didn't need additional glue (If I understood you correctly). So I avoided smudges that way. Then made sure pushpins went exactly through the center of the transparent parts and disks and pulled the oversized laminating foil around the disk it was attached to, to it's backside. (So capturing the transparent pointer between the foil and the disk. Being careful the pointer was aligned with the proper place on the disk)

I printed the disks themselves on A4 papersticker sheets. So I avoided smearing that way too. Stuck them onto empty cardboard boxes for additional rigidity. And laminated them for protection with sticky laminating foil. It also makes it a bit glossy in the wrong light. But I often turn down my livingroom light anyway to enhance night-sight in SH3 (,5) and WP.

For reference,images of my dirty old disk:

Last edited by Pisces; 04-30-19 at 04:33 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-19, 06:18 AM   #19
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default transparencies

Pisces:

I am getting better at using my dremel in cutting the underlying clear plastic sheet. The sheet is rigid and not thick. I am picking up two more prints of the attachments today. And, a 1 1/4" dremel circular saw blade for plastic... most of the attachments have straight cuts... so this should be cleaner.

I also made templates from thick cardboard backers from writing pads. THis allows me to trace the template on the plastic w/o getting the template marked up before I glue it to the plastic cut out. And I am using a two step procedure in gluing the transparencies to the hard plastic.... after applying the glue to the plastic... I remove the plastic from the paper I am using to protect my dining table and place on another clean sheet of paper....No glue prints and smears on the mounted trans....:<)

Is the disk at the bottom known as the "Whiz Wheel" ?

Now, I am going to look again for the thread which references the procedure to attach photos...

Roland / CyStryker
Old 04-30-19, 08:27 AM   #20
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Actually, the one at the bottom is the historical side of the attack disk. As far as I learned from Hitman, the upper image time/speed/distance/angle side never existed. Or at least not as part of the attackdisk. It was created for gameplay reasons for SH3, as a counterpart. As for SH4 there was the American (Whiz)wheel which did have such aside.
Old 05-07-19, 12:27 PM   #21
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default Raobf templates...

Pisces:

I went over to a graphics company and discussed making clean digital copies of the Raobf and transparencies. I used a photo from the web which was taken from a metallic tinted Raobf.. They are able to clean it up (remove the tainted ares) and digital print it to white at 200mm (8") outer disk diameter. this would give me a digital copy and a white high gloss paper print of this disk. They can also separate the three wheels and digital printing of these..... to fit the outer wheel at 200 mm diameter... each wheel to a separate sheet. When I get them I will post to this forum for everyone's use. I am going to ask them to tint the outer wheel a light brown, the middle wheel to light yellow and leave the center as white. Anyone can then take their jump drive to a printer like office depot and have accurate templates ready to print on a letter size white high gloss paper. The comp.. can also print on a white plastic either 1/32 or 1/16 thickness which would make backing the paper wheels unnecessary.

I am negotiating with them to place the transparencies ... I think Hitman posted.... on a 1/32 or 1/16 plastic transparent sheet. They can cut with laser and provide precut accurate transparencies and drilled with laser. .. center to allow use of a #10 screw... I need to keep the price of these to a minimum... When I find out the costs... I will let everyone know... this would beat the hell out of cutting transparent plastic and gluing to the transparencies:<)

I showed them my completed ATTACK DISK and another disk which I do not know what that one is used for. they were impressed.:<)

Roland / CyStryker
Old 05-07-19, 12:53 PM   #22
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Al right, good work. If you can show a picture of that mystery disk then I might be able to help figuring out it's use.
Old 05-09-19, 03:02 PM   #23
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default acrylic disk .. local printer

Pisces:

I received a quote from the shop today for the Raobf three wheels.... $125.00!!! They have to make money to pay for a brick and concrete store:<) The price is well beyond the "useful and marginal utility" test...:<) I ordered the attachments for the attack disk (interception).... not cheap. 1/16 thick clear acrylic and laser cut to fit a disk at 8" or 200 mm diameter .... I should receive by Tuesday. I will photo them and post.... and photo them installed on my two disks.... u can tell me the id of the first disk....

I believe it was u who said u use transparency film used in overhead which comes with a glue side (remove the film...) . that would prevent the glue smudges...

I am disappointed on the cost of the acrylic Raobf parts... I did get a great... clear ......... digital set of the three wheels for the Raobf. I am going to make one based upon these templates.

Roland / CyStryker
Old 05-09-19, 03:07 PM   #24
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I think you misinterpreted. I printed on overhead sheets for inkjet printers. Later I laminated those with thin transparent foil with a sticky side.

To bad that it costs that much. But yeah, they got to make a living also. If the batch was larger then maybe the average price could come down. One-off is always more expensive.
Old 05-10-19, 07:07 AM   #25
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default 2nd wheel id

Pisces:

The middle wheel has "Zeit" printed at the bottom of the wheel. Zeit means time in German. I think the wheel is the game creation you spoke of above.....

When I receive the transparencies I will add to the two disks I made and post both photos....

I am still determined to make my own Raobf ... I want to try cutting the prints (on double sided high glass paper) more accurately rather than use the razer.... I am picking up a wheel cutter over at a hobby shop here locally.

If I could reduce the diameter of the inner wheels slightly ... I could cut them more easily and mount on a stiffening boards... is there a software program that would allow me to adjust the diameter in 1% increments.???

When I get it right I will color the wheels and post online so others can use...

If all fails... its the acrylic Raobf for me :<)
Roland
Old 05-10-19, 03:09 PM   #26
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309

Instead of making your own RAOBF disk you could also just buy a slide rule to calculate range, speed and AOB. I use the attached circular slide rule, all RAOBF calculations can be made very quickly with this and you can also use it to make other calculations that the RAOFB disk can't:

* speed calculations for ausdampfverfahren and auswanderungsverfahren;
* torpedo running time base on range and actual range to target based on torpedo running time;
* Time, range and speed for general navigation.

I use it all the time and find it very usefull.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 07-05-21 at 12:46 PM.
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 03:21 PM   #27
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Witt View Post
Instead of making your own RAOBF disk you could also just buy a slide rule to calculate range, speed and AOB. I use the attached circular slide rule, all RAOBF calculations can be made very quickly with this and you can also use it to make other calculations that the RAOFB disk can't:

* speed calculations for ausdampfverfahren and auswanderungsverfahren;
* torpedo running time base on range and actual range to target based on torpedo running time;
* Time, range and speed for general navigation.

I use it all the time and find it very usefull.
Ausdampfverfahren and Auswanderungsverfahren - glad to see these being used! I’d love to have a high quality slide rule like that. Where did you get yours?

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 05:22 PM   #28
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Ausdampfverfahren and Auswanderungsverfahren - glad to see these being used! I’d love to have a high quality slide rule like that. Where did you get yours?
It's from a Japanese company called Concise. You can find them on the internet. As far as I could tell they're the only company selling circular slide rules.
They have a few different models. I ordered a few from them. The one shown in the picture is model no. 300. This one is the most suitable for the calculations you have to make. They cost about $30 each plus you have to pay shipping cost as they are send from Japan.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 05-10-19 at 06:20 PM. Reason: they're, not there!
Old 05-10-19, 05:47 PM   #29
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Consise: https://www.sliderule.tokyo/products...category_id=30

I've send the site a request for information whether the instructions are in Japanese or also other languages. I know the scales are pretty standard. And there are likely to be tutorials online on how to use it. That is, for targeting/navigation we would still need to figure out on our own the rotation and mark alignement steps in the right order.
Old 05-10-19, 06:18 PM   #30
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

The instructions included with the slide rules are in Japanese only. I found some English instructions on the internet, but have not read them yet. Figuring out how to use them is not that difficult. I was able to figure out how to calculate everything fairly easily. (well, after some trial and error)