Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-23, 07:45 PM   #16
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot5 View Post
Congratulations to the F-22 on its first confirmed air to air kill!

Four more and he’s an ace

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 07:56 PM   #17
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Looks to me like the payload detached from the remains of the balloon when it was hit. I wonder what remains of it, if anything.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 08:00 PM   #18
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Shooting it down after the spying has been done and completed, and the last bits and bytes of info was broadcasted home.

Clever.
The payment required a complete transit.

Old 02-04-23, 08:01 PM   #19
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Old 02-04-23, 08:15 PM   #20
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Looks to me like the payload detached from the remains of the balloon when it was hit. I wonder what remains of it, if anything.

Old 02-04-23, 08:17 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Four more and he’s an ace
If all ballons, he will be the Michelin-Man.
Old 02-04-23, 08:25 PM   #22
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Old 02-04-23, 08:42 PM   #23
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Seems they made sure it was downwind of the U.S. before they shot it down.

3 Navy Warships, FBI Now Hunting for Wreckage of Chinese Spy Balloon off South Carolina

By: Sam LaGrone
February 4, 2023 5:28 PM • Updated: February 4, 2023 6:02 PM

https://news.usni.org/2023/02/04/3-n...south-carolina

Quote:
A trio of Navy warships, service divers and the FBI are on the hunt for the wreckage of a high-altitude Chinese spy balloon that was shot down on Saturday by an Air Force F-22 Raptor off the coast of South Carolina, Defense Department officials told reporters Saturday.

“The balloon, which was being used by the PRC in an attempt to surveil strategic sites in the continental United States, was brought down above U.S. territorial waters,” Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said in a Saturday statement. “On Wednesday, President [Joe] Biden gave his authorization to take down the surveillance balloon as soon as the mission could be accomplished without undue risk to American lives under the balloon’s path.”

The Raptor from the 149 Fighter Squadron, based at Langley Air Force Base, used a single AIM-9X Sidewinder, fired from 58,000 feet in the air, to shoot down the balloon that was operating at 62,000 feet, a senior military official told reporters on Saturday afternoon.

The remains of the surveillance balloon, about the size of three school buses, is spread over a seven-mile debris field in shallow water in the Atlantic, a senior military official told reporters.

Guided-missile destroyer USS Oscar Austin (DDG-79), guided-missile cruiser USS Philippine Sea (CG-58) and amphibious warship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) are on station near the crash site. Coast Guard cutters and boats are also on the scene to assist in the recovery, a message left with a Coast Guard Atlantic Area spokesman was not immediately returned.

USS Carter Hall with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) and Iwo Jima Amphibious Readiness Group (ARG) stages after offloading a Landing Craft Utility (LCU) in the early morning, beginning an amphibious assault during Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPTUEX) at Camp Lejeune, N.C., on March 15, 2021. US Navy Photo

Navy divers are currently embarked aboard the warships off the coast, a Navy official confirmed to USNI News. FBI counter-intelligence agents are also part of the investigation, Pentagon officials said Saturday.

“We have… capable Navy divers to go down if needed. We’ll also have unmanned vessels that can go down to get the structure and lift it back up on the recovery ship,” the senior military official said.
“We’ll have the FBI on board as well, under the counterintelligence authorities for categorizing and assessing the platform itself.”

According to the same senior military official, a Navy salvage ship will be on station within the next two days.

The high-altitude surveillance craft had been operating over U.S. and Canadian airspace for at least the last week. It traveled over sensitive military sites, including the intercontinental missile silos at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana.

According to reporters following the path of the balloon, it entered the U.S. air defense identification zone Near Alaska on Jan. 28, crossed into Canada on Jan. 30 and crossed into the skies over Idaho on Jan. 31.

U.S. officials said they elected not to shoot down the balloon over the continental United States for two reasons – to prevent risk to people and property that would be in a potential debris field and to continue to gather intelligence from the craft while it continued to operate over the U.S.

“We assessed that it did not pose a threat at any time to civilian air traffic because of the altitude of the balloon. We also said that it did not pose a military or kinetic threat to U.S. people or property on the ground, although we were constantly updating both of those assessments and prepared to take it out if that threat profile changed,” the senior military official told reporters on Saturday.

Unlike low-earth orbit satellites, the near-space altitude in which the balloon operated was sovereign U.S.-controlled air space, USNI News understands. Chinese officials have said that the balloon had gone off course and had no hostile intent. A second Chinese balloon has been spotted over Latin America.

The balloon was low enough in the sky, that several people on shore captured images of the F-22 firing the anti-air missile to pop the balloon just off the coast of Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The fighters left the Virginia air base Saturday afternoon with the call signs Frank-1 and Frank-2, according to plane spotters on social media. The callsigns are believed to be a reference to World War I ACE Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Frank Luke. His nickname was the Arizona Balloon Buster, wrote reporter Marcus Weisgerber on Twitter.

Old 02-04-23, 10:59 PM   #24
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Moar balloons coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg German spy balloon.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-23, 11:04 PM   #25
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Old 02-05-23, 04:03 AM   #26
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

My way in the future end of life plans for that lawn chair launch are going to run into a snag if that jet jockey is hankering for a second balloon kill.

I guess Everest somewhere below Green Boots it will be, only way I can afford that is if I become a Sherpa.
Old 02-05-23, 06:00 AM   #27
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm simply wondering what form of retaliation the Chinese will come up with.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 06:25 AM   #28
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 06:54 AM   #29
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390

Slow Joe didn’t want to upset his Chinese friends.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 09:52 AM   #30
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Following useless facts was posted in todays Useless facts on FB.

I post it here instead of posting it in our Useless facts

Quote:
In 1945, the American warship USS New York spotted a silvery sphere in the air, which they suspected to be an armed hot air balloon from Japan. They therefore tried to shoot the balloon down, but no shooter could hit it. A navigator then discovered that they had attempted to shoot down Venus.
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote