SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-20, 08:44 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Where is the MOD "The Hunt for the Red October"?

Hi All!

Because I have read the book: The Hunt for the Red October and because I have also seen the film, I would like to play the MOD too!

I think I know it is a MOD from COLD WATERS. But where can I find and download that MOD? Google doesn't help me and I can't find the file here on SUBSIM.

The question: Does anyone know where I can download it? Or does anyone have that MOD and me maybe can send?

Thank You.

P.S. There is also a youtube movie wit Cold Waters:
The download link mentioned is not working

easy

Last edited by easy; 08-28-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-24-21, 07:08 AM   #2
itsjero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Wow suprised no one replied to this.

The ship, a typhoon, is available to play in the Epic Mod. Epic mod is available to download here on subsim in their files area.

Epic mod really is a great mod for Cold Waters, and really is the only "Big" mod out there that has released with a ton of things it adds and changes.

Specifically it changed how the AI reacts to you and your torpedos etc.. The AI ships now will really work hard to dodge your torpedos, creating knuckles, dropping noisemakers, going deep, juking the torpedo, and so much more. Plus, at least for the russian torpedos, they have included changes that make (russian torpedos once again ) wake homing.. like their torpedos evidentally are. They will home towards a wake in the area you shot it in, and then sort of find the edges of said wake and then follow that wake all the way to the boat and score a hit.

One of the best features of the Epic Mod is that subs now have very effective anti-air munitions. Its not something you re-arm yourself with at port.. it just sort of "exists" in all of the subs.

So, if those pesky helos and anti sub aircraft are hunting you as they do in the unmodded cold waters, the epic mod changes things. If you surface and raise your ESM mast and Radar mast, you will see a bar in the top left corner of your display. Once that bar fills ALL the way up with redness, thats letting you know that there is air assets in your area, and they are very very close.

Thing is, if you surface and raise thoses 2 masts, and the aircraft is in range and the bar is full.. at a certain proximity to those aircraft or helos, a missle will launch out of your sail, almost as if there is a sailor up there with a stinger missle, or equivalent of it, thats more or less a SAM.

That missile will track the closest air asset to you and shoot it down. I have -never- seen one miss, so the effective rate of this anti aircraft missle is 100%.

Ive actually sort of hunted air assets once im done with subs/ships and shoot them down. Back on the normal vanilla cold waters, i had aircraft hound me to the ends of earth and had zero defense in terms of weapons against them. So, i was at their mercy and often times was sunk due to tons of sonarbuoys and their MAD detection equipment etc. Theyd find me and drop torpedoes.. sometimes a LOT of them, and you can only go so fast and dodge so many and get so lucky before one of those aircraft drop a torpedo so close to you and goes active as soon as it hits the water, youre dead. Especially if you are running quiet and at 5 knts.

Now, those air assets are engage-able and ive shot down many of them. Thing is, if you surface with ships still on the level and try this.. you will quickly get educated by surface warships who will, and do, try to sink you. And they can quickly damage you from VERY far with their deck guns. Once i get hit i try and get 100% speed, dive, and gtfo there before they kill me.

Anyways.. i know that was somewhat off topic, but it just gives you a glimpse of what the Epic mod has to offer, aside from the "hunt for red october". There is a playable typhoon in Epic Mod, and you can face it or be it or whatever. I love the boat so i play as it a lot.

And yes, there are single missions you can play that the mission is straight up everything from the book and movie. A sub is defecting, a typhoon, and russia is hounding her with intent to sink her.

You can play the russian side of this and track and kill it, or play the US version of it as well in which i think you play as the red october and try to flee and engage subs and ships en route to america.

Theres also a few ICBM missions in single missions but more importantly in campaigns where you have to ( this is a view point from my current campaign where im playing a typhoon on the russian side vs america ) get close to houston, quebec, and los angeles, and launch nukes. You gotta park 10 ICBM's, and be withing 100 miles of those cities when you launch. Once you fire off 10, itll tell you youre good, and you try to make it outta there as TONS of warships and subs now know youre there and do their best to sink you.

Plus after that mission, you continue the campaign on other missions.

But with epic mod, my campaigns always end with the same mission. My adversary and its remaining Boomers, along with like 5+ fast attack hunter killer subs, sail from port and are trying to launch a last ditch nuclear strike and win the war, leaving you no port to come home too.

It happens on all campaigns regardless of what nation ( russian or us ) you are fighting for. Youre job is to sink the Boat/Boats with icbm missles aboard, and fight through the 3-5+ fast attacks it has guarding it. Its a fun mission but when i see it, i know its the last mission of the campaign.

So, TL;DR - Download and install the Epic Mod for cold waters, and then play your campaign. The Epic mod makes cold waters SO much better, has lots of subs, weapons, includes the stuff i talked about here, and really changes the game in the best ways making the AI smarter and tougher, giving you lots of subs to play, as well as SURFACE ships ( yes you can play as all the surface ships.. battleships, etc from all nations ) and so much more.

The surface ship addon to the game is so good, on a reddit sub ( cold waters sub ) some folks that play this game have switched completely and play only surface ships. Hunting other ships, hunting subs, etc. Its that good.. but i still love subs so even thought ive played it a bit, nothing to me beats lurking around the depths of the ocean as a silent killer.

Check out the files section of subsim for the file you need. Id advise installing a fresh cold waters install, complete with the latest update, and then installing the latest Epic Mod ( and no other mods.. plus you want need them ). Somtimes ive had an install geek out and not work, so id just reinstall the epic mod again and it works.

You can still edit .txt files for the game, and the epic mod made that more awesome by having 2 .txt files for every sub. 1 for the user, and 1 for the AI. So, you can pimp out your typhoon with hundreds of missiles and torpedos, give it the best sonar from russia ( think a typhoon with every new thing from a borei installed ), make it more silent than ever, and if you wanted to.. you could make it go 900kts and dive to 30,000 feet.

.txt editing makes this game so much fun, and with the epic mod installed, a side effect of that mod makes the .txt files a lot of fun to edit as well - plus the AI wont get to use your modded super sub since it uses the typhoon_AI.txt, not your typhoon_user.txt file, for settings of that sub in the game.

A long post, sure, but i hope this info gets you back into the game if you havent found it by now.. and maybe tells you some more things you can try and do in the game.. especially .txt file editing and installation of the Epic Mod which is easily the best thing to happen to this game since its release other than the south china sea update the developers did.

Enjoy, play that epic mod, use that typhoon to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
itsjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 12:35 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

itsjero! somewhat belatedly...sorry!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-21, 11:04 AM   #4
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Downloads: 6

Why would you play EpicMod when DotMod is out? DotMod can do everything EpicMod can do, but better. It also has several new features (aircraft and missiles on the tactical map, 2 new HUD panels, and functioning AI and torpedo behavior), as well as several new models exclusive to DotMod. Examples of these include the Ticonderoga, Perry, Virginia, Oberon, and several other weapon models.
NavyGuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 02:20 PM   #5
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1

going to test this, seems promising!
I like realism above all.
johan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 03:33 AM   #6
Supernalboot
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Default Playable Subs Mod

I distinctively remember there was a mod called Playable subs mod or something like that. It has 2 versions of the "Red October" The normal drive and the caterpillar drive both usable and playable in the campaigns. I cant remember if there is a specific mission for it or not but you will have to see. Hope this helps you!
Supernalboot is offline   Reply With Quote