SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-23, 05:31 PM   #1
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Steam users about to get hosed win7/8

Jan 1 2024 Steam client will no longer run on windows 7/8. PSA to those running SH4 on 7/8 systems.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-23, 05:55 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Been expecting that... So, automatic obsolescence... rendering all of your games incompatible with your computer... wow
"Valve announced that its Steam online game platform will officially drop support for the Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 platforms starting January 1st, 2024.

Once it reaches the end-of-support date, the Steam Client software will stop working on these out-of-support Windows versions, with Valve recommending users to upgrade to a more recent Windows version to continue playing their games via Steam.

'This change is required as core features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows,' Valve said.

'In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.'"
Windows will be dropping Win10 support soon, and my computers can't run 11. I can't afford a new computer...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-23, 06:06 PM   #3
1Patriotofmany
XO

That was my thought. Pay for all these games and they can unplug them whenever they want or they're useless if the company goes bankrupt. That's why I was leery of Steam from the first game I bought. I used Mplayer WAYYYYYY back in the day for online card games and such and they went kaput but it was free.. I hate 10. I also worry about losing all my data when I'm forced to upgrade.
Old 04-27-23, 06:10 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Steam is convenient, and does hold your hand in many ways, but yeah... I have lost more than one game over the years due to "designed obsolescence"... I had just gotten the hang of alternate boot disks for DOS when it went away, along with a LOT of DOS-based games... lol - simpler, but more complex times then. I even have a couple of games that ended up being Win98SE only... sigh - one of my "professional" audio cards and its "Included FREE" software were like that also. They were supposed to be Win2k compatible, but they never were, apparently...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-23, 01:37 PM   #5
1Patriotofmany
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Steam is convenient, and does hold your hand in many ways, but yeah... I have lost more than one game over the years due to "designed obsolescence"... I had just gotten the hang of alternate boot disks for DOS when it went away, along with a LOT of DOS-based games... lol - simpler, but more complex times then. I even have a couple of games that ended up being Win98SE only... sigh - one of my "professional" audio cards and its "Included FREE" software were like that also. They were supposed to be Win2k compatible, but they never were, apparently...
I still hoard all my old dos, win95/win98 stuff. Even still have a working Amstrad running at a whopping 8mhz and commodore 64 with floppy drive and all my old games....... Once in a while I drag that out and hook it up to a tv and just laugh at what we thought was state of the art. Pretty amazing actually in 40 odd years the technology leap when you think about it.
Old 07-01-23, 12:17 PM   #6
1Patriotofmany
XO

Default Took the plunge

Okay guys, I took the plunge, downloaded win 10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 Saved it to a flash drive. Installed it, and it worked relatively pain free. Didn't even have to buy a new key for 10. It used the 7 key automatically. Only thing with steam was some of my icons were blank and no longer connected to the games. A few older games that I had trouble with on 7 now work fine on 10 from the steam library, just have to make some new desktop icons after deleting the old ones.. All the SH4 mods and icons were hunky dory! Recommend you save all your drives before you take the plunge just in case.