SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-09-10, 03:55 PM   #91
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I'm gonna whine a little bit.

S'cuse me while i bust out the violin.

I'm starting to wonder what possessed me to take on this project. I've been putting in 5 to 6 hours a day on this mod for the last 3 weeks. This is in addition to my daily commute, work, and home life. Somehow i've been managing to squeeze in sleep in that routine.

I can't keep this up. My options are:

a.) to scale back the project for the first release by omitting sea trials and the 10th flotilla and doing them later. ( This allows me to put off doing alot of axis harbor traffic and mission scripting. The focus on the first release then becomes entirely on the 12th flotilla patrols in south Atlantic, and monsun patrols in the indian ocean, which is mostly done. Thank you lurker! )

b.) Taking a break for a week or three. (trouble is i feel rushed, and i want to hammer this out while the iron is hot)

c.) Get help to complete items mentioned in option A.

Honestly i'm leaning on A. I'm feeling like i got way too ambitious for the first release. The whole scope of what i've been envisioning is way too much for one modder to handle in any reasonable length of time.
My recommendation is "take your time" and build your mod to "your" schedule and "not" to what others appear to be trying to "demand" you do. Remember your "NOT" these peoples "slave".
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 03:59 PM   #92
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
My recommendation is "take your time" and build your mod to "your" schedule and "not" to what others appear to be trying to "demand" you do. Remember your "NOT" these peoples "slave".
greatest advice ever

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 04:01 PM   #93
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Scale it back, staged releases and enjoy it. Don't burn out! That's no fun. Although I do understand the desire to release it in a certain state, it's better to release it in small incremental bites, than one big wadge of a mod.
Old 07-09-10, 04:32 PM   #94
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
Thanks lurker. You know, i lose site of why one mods. At first I mod because i enjoy it. Which later becomes, "because i said i would do it", later it becomes work..... and sometime after that my fangs come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Scale it back, staged releases and enjoy it. Don't burn out! That's no fun. Although I do understand the desire to release it in a certain state, it's better to release it in small incremental bites, than one big wadge of a mod.
Yeah i think i'm going to where the campaign is concerned. That stuff burns me out faster then a quick match fuse. The good thing is i planned ahead when i laid some stuff out, leaving things open ended for later.

On a side note, working on this mod, ive realized that i've learned a few things from working on TMO. In some respects this mod will be better then TMO when im done with it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 08:15 PM   #95
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Sometimes it is better to mod "behind closed doors" that way there is no expectations and can work at your own pace/pleasure, by all means don't rush, SH4 is not going anywhere. But really I don't see anyone pressuring you, most are just keenly interested and excited! Well we all know what happened when UBI rushed - SH5!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 08:48 PM   #96
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Sometimes it is better to mod "behind closed doors" that way there is no expectations and can work at your own pace/pleasure,
I never hide what i'm working on, but i probably shouldn't have made a thread just yet. My problem is when i get excited about something, i can't keep my yap shut.

Quote:
by all means don't rush,
The only thing i'm really inclined to rush things on, is campaign scripting. I detest it. I find it a tedious, dull, and unrewarding chore. it's not that i don't know how to do it, it's simply that i don't like it. You know, doing the three sea trial missions in TMO took me a week to pound out correctly.

When i do anything though, i do something i did alot of in college. Code, compile debug. Over and over and over again. Or at least the modding equivlant of that. And i keep doing that until whatever im working on is resolved, and then i move on. Code, compile debug, code, compile, debug, ad nauseum. I only like to do something once. Not twice, so i try and get it right the first time.

Quote:
SH4 is not going anywhere.
No, it's not. But i might! I'm trying to get this done while the interest is still there for the time being.

Quote:
But really I don't see anyone pressuring you
Yes there is. Me!

Quote:
, most are just keenly interested and excited!
*shrug* cool i guess. Don't expect much of a readme though. Infact, i may not write one at all. I'm going through this stuff the files broken down in a modular fashion. I see something that bugs me, i fix it, and move on to whatever else is bugging me. You know, ever changelog i ever wrote for TMO, was written AFTER THE FACT. I went through the files saying, "hmm ok i did this, then that, then after that i did this,). I hate writing documentation about as much as i hate campaign scripting, and my changelogs in TMO reflect it, they're very terse. lol

Quote:
Well we all know what happened when UBI rushed - SH5!!
Yeah, i know.
Old 07-09-10, 09:19 PM   #97
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

BTW, and this is just a general statement.

There really isn't any need to post links to uboat archieve or informing me of various details or personal perceptions. I know some folks are just trying to help but...... For one, i'm going to mod something based upon my own judgements and what * i * feel is correct.

For two, I've known about Uboat archieve for years, Ive read much on it. I am not the type who reads up on only one theater of submarine action. I am always looking for more information, but i like the obscure sources i haven't already seen. uboat.net, uboatchieve.net, uboatwaffe.org, uboataces, or hyperwar links.... been there, done that.... repeatidly.

It's links other then the obvious ones I'm always looking for. Off the beaten track info is what interests me. Such as:

http://monsun-uboats.spaces.live.com/
http://www.9teuflottille.de/site/lex...Typ_IXd2_g.zip
http://community.webshots.com/user/firefox108
Old 07-09-10, 10:34 PM   #98
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Well, I'll demand a couple of things.

1. DO NOT kill your enthusiasm again!

2. DO NOT burn yourself out again.

3. DO enjoy life.

Work on it when you feel like it. I've tried to tell IABL his Merchant Ships mod would have been better if he had released them one-at-a-time and took it in chunks. Some days I get the bug and research names for hours on end. Then one day I didn't do it, and the next thing I knew it was two weeks later and I hadn't touched it. These days I work for thirty minutes to an hour, and then do something else.

Relax. Take it easy.
Old 07-12-10, 07:08 PM   #99
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

My pace has slowed down, but the work continues. The only thing new to report is i have CT emblems working as a selectable ingame option. Much to my chagrin i spent 2 days reinventing a wheel someone else already invented.

I'll post an update when i have something more substantial to post, like say, maybe a D/L link. Until then, i'll be quiet about this project unless someone asks a specific question i can answer.
Old 07-12-10, 09:22 PM   #100
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Good luck, hopefully it all goes smoothly!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 09:33 PM   #101
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

It will. It's just a matter of time and patience. I have a mental list of things i want to finish before i post anything. It's not a long list, it's just a matter of me bucking up and doing it.
Old 07-12-10, 11:22 PM   #102
WarlordATF
Frogman

Downloads: 105

If your enjoying what your doing then do it, if not scrap it and find something you do enjoy. Lifes too short my friend.
Old 07-13-10, 03:46 PM   #103
Jack Callahan
Swabbie

Downloads: 91

Ducimus,

As a avid user of TMO 1.9 and SHIII GWX Gold, I would like to say that I have been watching this TMO with interest. Considering I am currently deployed, I have no illusions that I'll be able to download this at it's release so I am willing to be patient until I can. Take your time my friend.. We all have plenty of sailing to do in TMO. Think I'll start another campaign with an S-boat...

Jack
Jack Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 04:07 PM   #104
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Callahan View Post
Ducimus,

As a avid user of TMO 1.9 and SHIII GWX Gold, I would like to say that I have been watching this TMO with interest. Considering I am currently deployed, I have no illusions that I'll be able to download this at it's release so I am willing to be patient until I can. Take your time my friend.. We all have plenty of sailing to do in TMO. Think I'll start another campaign with an S-boat...

Jack
You guys have internet out there? My knowledge must be way behind the time. I was in about 12 years ago, and internet wasn't something you'd see unless it was at home station. Then again, 12 years ago the internet wasn't as big a thing as it is now.

As D/L's go, i'm guessing this will be in the neighborhood of 300MB's when 7 zipped. How long you there for roughly? I could always try and break it down into smaller more manageable chunks so you could grab it a little bit at a time whenever you have access. If someone had told me deployed personnel were using this stuff, id have made a better effort at making it easier to get.

Mod related:
German bases now look almost exactly like they did in SH3. Band, nurses, troops, guards walking around, etc, and no buildings clipping from view.
Old 07-13-10, 06:51 PM   #105
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I was in about 12 years ago, and internet wasn't something you'd see unless it was at home station. Then again, 12 years ago the internet wasn't as big a thing as it is now.
Think how I feel. When I was in a computer was a refrigerator-sized thing with big spinning tapes in a window at the top, and to talk to it you had to use punch cards! Not that I had a clue back then what a computer even was, but...

Quote:
Mod related:
German bases now look almost exactly like they did in SH3. Band, nurses, troops, guards walking around, etc, and no buildings clipping from view.
That's the best news I've heard in a long time! If you'd like I can try my hand at sticking ships in the harbors. No experience in that department, but I really want to see harbor traffic and I like learning new stuff.