SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-19, 01:08 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Bombardment

I've noticed when being chased by a destroyer, every so often they fire the big guns at me.

I see the flash, and and the splash near my boat but I never hear a thing. Even when topside.

I know the sounds are all related to various intertwined settings.
For instance,

sh.sdl
particles.dsd

Can someone tell me which files and place i need to edit to add back the missing sound?

I'm comparing my files and sounds to TMO files (I didnt load TMO, but have been taking various items ad hoc and frankensteining my own stuff).

Much appreciates.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 01:29 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You could try "Websters Selected New Sounds" and see if he has any in there. He also has one for "missing voices". In fact, since you are doing something similar to what Webster has done, you could browse through mods with his "stamp" on them. Use the "Downloads Search" page and type in "Webster's" as your search criteria, and get most of his stuff in one list. He didn't do all of the modding work, but gathered all of the separate mods together, and edited them to work together. If you see "GFO", that's his mini-mega-mod "Game Fixes Only", which is really a good base to start from. THEBERBSTER has done an update to Webster's package "All In One Beginners Mega Mod List For SH4", and added a few more to the mix. Then put what you have on top of that. You could also look through the FotRSU mod for sound files. AOTD_MadMax reworked a lot of the shells and explosions for his older FOTRS mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 03:16 PM   #3
skirich
Chief

Yep I got that. Thanks for the heads up on the webster mods. I'll start running comparisons.

Its not as simple as just adding in the missing file and finding the reference in sh.sdl

There has to be some pointer in the asset that says to the particle generator that this effect comes with this sound.

I think thats the part that is missing.

I'll run a binary compare with some tools I have on the files from westers mod and the data directory and see what comes up.
Old 09-21-19, 06:05 PM   #4
propbeanie

Particles.dat has a dsd file of the same name, and there has to be a proper link between some items in the dsd and the dat to link them. You can either search on the node number, or the name of the event... I'm not good at explaining this... But are you looking for the sound of the shell passing nearby? Not only is there that link, but the settings in the dsd file sub-node(s) - and SH.sdl also has some settings in it, for distances from the event that it can be heard. You do have to be careful to match settings, and adhere to sample rates and bit depths and time length to avoid other seemingly unrelated issues, of which I could tell you a half dozen stories ... CapnScurvy always says: "when in doubt, follow stock"...

Old 09-21-19, 11:26 PM   #5
skirich
Chief

Thanks figured it out. It was a missing item in particles.dat and the corresponding dsd. It was also missing from sh.sdl

quite the web of intertangled stuff.
what were the devs thinking.
Old 09-22-19, 06:56 AM   #6
propbeanie

"Get it out the door! This is costing us money trying to fix it!"...