SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-20, 12:08 AM   #1
Toyotagt86
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 516
Uploads: 0
Default Hydrophone problem in TMO2.5+RSRD+OTC

Hi Captains
I am using the TMO2.5+RSRD+OTC Modded SH4 and found such problem
When I passed the Wake Island and I saw the U.S. Navy destroyer about 3000 ft away from me at slow speed. then I go to the hydrophone to listen the sound by myself but I heard nothing, even I have dived under the water still heard nothing.
Dose somebody has the same problem? or how to fix it?
Thanks a lot.
Toyotagt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-20, 07:27 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is a "known issue" in SH4 in general. There are several factors at play here. One is the "noise level" the ships create with their props and engines, controlled in the ShipName.sim file. Another is that some ships have incorrectly oriented, and / or incorrectly configured sound nodes in their dat files, and broken links in some between the dat file and the sim file of some ships, especially some add-in ships. Most of the Stock ships are OK, but there are a couple-three of those that are also bad, but I do not have my notes near me from what we found with FotRSU.

CapnScurvy did find a lot of the issues with FotRSU ships and their sim files. s7rikeback and myself ironed out more, going through ALL the ships in the mod and re-orienting all of the engine sound nodes to all face the same direction so that there was consistency across the mod. While doing such, we did find more issues that were "repaired. The Stock game has 3 different sets of orientations of the nodes, and FotRSU had over six. There are three axis that a node can rotate on, with setting of 360 degrees in increments that carry to the sixth decimal place, so they can be set every which way but loose. There is one ship in particular in the Stock game, which I cannot remember right now, that does not have a properly named dsd file, which is where all of the sounds of a ship are linked.

The particular DD you are "looking" at there is one of the ones helped by changing the sim file the way that CapnScurvy did for FotRSU, such that the engine makes more "noise" at lower throttle settings, and has to "pull harder" to get the ship to move.You will find that most of the ships in the game (and most mods) will be "silent" to sonar when they are traveling at roughly half of their max speed, unless you are right on top of them. Someone (vickers03??) has a mod for "SonarRepair" or "SonarFix" from like 2009 that is for Stock, but I do not remember what he did for that mod...

When you are at the sonar station though, you will see the green light lit when you do have the hydrophone heads pointed at ships like that, and your sonarman at the station is able to track them still. It is only the player that cannot "hear" ships like that... Just be certain you have fully qualified sonarmen at the station on all shifts...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 07:42 PM   #3
Toyotagt86
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 516
Uploads: 0
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That is a "known issue" in SH4 in general. There are several factors at play here. One is the "noise level" the ships create with their props and engines, controlled in the ShipName.sim file. Another is that some ships have incorrectly oriented, and / or incorrectly configured sound nodes in their dat files, and broken links in some between the dat file and the sim file of some ships, especially some add-in ships. Most of the Stock ships are OK, but there are a couple-three of those that are also bad, but I do not have my notes near me from what we found with FotRSU.

CapnScurvy did find a lot of the issues with FotRSU ships and their sim files. s7rikeback and myself ironed out more, going through ALL the ships in the mod and re-orienting all of the engine sound nodes to all face the same direction so that there was consistency across the mod. While doing such, we did find more issues that were "repaired. The Stock game has 3 different sets of orientations of the nodes, and FotRSU had over six. There are three axis that a node can rotate on, with setting of 360 degrees in increments that carry to the sixth decimal place, so they can be set every which way but loose. There is one ship in particular in the Stock game, which I cannot remember right now, that does not have a properly named dsd file, which is where all of the sounds of a ship are linked.

The particular DD you are "looking" at there is one of the ones helped by changing the sim file the way that CapnScurvy did for FotRSU, such that the engine makes more "noise" at lower throttle settings, and has to "pull harder" to get the ship to move.You will find that most of the ships in the game (and most mods) will be "silent" to sonar when they are traveling at roughly half of their max speed, unless you are right on top of them. Someone (vickers03??) has a mod for "SonarRepair" or "SonarFix" from like 2009 that is for Stock, but I do not remember what he did for that mod...

When you are at the sonar station though, you will see the green light lit when you do have the hydrophone heads pointed at ships like that, and your sonarman at the station is able to track them still. It is only the player that cannot "hear" ships like that... Just be certain you have fully qualified sonarmen at the station on all shifts...

Thank you very much , I have test other mod it has the same problem , According to your description I understood the reason, Thank you very much
Toyotagt86 is offline   Reply With Quote