SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-10, 01:22 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Shifting my paradigm: Ship Sizes.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

The other day at work, I drove by the local port, and saw this (better paint job though, But I wanted to show how it was riding, all the other photos she's riding low):

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shi...MMSI=212791000

I immediately wondered as to it's tonnage, and how easy would it be to sink with one eel.

So I google it on my phone as I went whizzing by, and was astonished by it's tonnage, 17,000!

Now I know that's fairly small by today's standards, but to me the ship did not look that big at all, I really was placing it in with the Granville size freighters we see ingame. I wish I had taken a photo fo it then, because maybe it was just the perspective I saw, but it really truly didn't look that big at all.

In size, how does this compare? The Nogat is 150m x 23m, 7.5m draft. Were the ships of the era that much smaller? As I look at the ESB right now, it seems it's a bit bigger than a large Merchant. But that's sitting at about 7,000 tons.

Where are they getting all the extra tonnage from in today's ships?

If anybody has some good links to shipbuilding techniques or what not of the day, I'd be interested to read this.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 01:39 AM   #2
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Tonnage... what a can of worms.

Go here to have your head thoroughly confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

SH3 models warships after displacement tons. That is, a Revenge class BB displaces about 31,000 tons (the weight of the water it would push out of an overflowing bathtub; nothing to do with the actual weight of the ship).

And I know I have read... but I cannot find it in my forum search ... that merchant "tonnage" in SH3 is based on Gross Register Tonnage. Which has to do with how much it can carry.

And these are two different things... but apparently make sense to people in the know.

Could some GWX folks weigh in on this? Because it is a bit of a mystery.
Old 12-19-10, 02:01 AM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Sirius Star is an oil tanker owned and operated by Vela International Marine.With a length overall of 1.090 feet (330 m) and a Capacity of 2.2 million barrels (350,000 m3) of crude oil, the ship is Classified as a Very Large Crude Carrier s VLCC.I guess it takes several eels here... ....

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 02:16 AM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

@ DR: Ok, I thought all ships went by displacement tonnage. So maybe the merchants were going by cargo tonnage, and were of similar sizes to todays ships, but just a different yard stick?

@ V: Ok... so what her tonnage? And I bet one good shot in the right place my light her up pretty good. Course, if she was running with just ballast, you may not have enough eels...... ANd wait a second.... thats 330m? That's what's considered a super tanker right? Bout the same length as a carrier? OK, it must have been my perspective I saw the Nogat at, cause in no way was I placing her as 1/3 - 1/2 the length of a carrier, or any big ship.

Old 12-19-10, 02:22 AM   #5
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

162.252 tons, may need to use the aft eels.....perhaps

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 02:40 AM   #6
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
162.252 tons, may need to use the aft eels.....perhaps
Ok somebody needs to make a Philadelphia Project mod..... have one of these drop out of a time warp as an easter egg or something LOL.