SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-19, 04:10 PM   #1
FanBoy2006.01
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New to the game

Hello all.

I new to Cold Waters and have only played this game/simulation for two weeks. I must say that this sim is very cold and unforgiving.
But as far as I have read, naval warfare seems to be an extremely deadly business.

The farthest I have come so far is successfully completing 4 missions without being sent to the bottom (On realistic difficulty). This is on the current 1984 campaign I am playing.

I must also say that I was very pleasantly surprised about the number of playable US Navy subs that come with the vanilla game as well as three USSR era subs.

But I have to ask two things:
1. Do more modern ASW ships (In game) have towed arrays that they can employ below thermal layers (If layer is shallow enough)?

2. Can helicopter dipping sonar do the same?

3. Also if I go to 50ft and face surface ships head on, will this create problems for surface ships active sonar detection range?

4. Is it a "cheat" to use torpedoes in passive mode only? With that I mean would this be very ineffective in real life compared to in game? The reason that I ask is because I never set torpedoes to active mode.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hope everybody have a great gaming weekend.
FanBoy2006.01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 05:14 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

FanBoy2006.01, after a two year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:38 AM   #3
FanBoy2006.01
Swabbie

Icon10

Didn't know it was that long!

Always liked submarines. My first subsim was Janes 688i back in the 90s

I also played Silent Hunter II, III an IV.

And Dangerous Waters.

Been doing this for just more than 20 years but I am a casual simmer.

I must say Cold Waters realy kick things up a notch when it comes to AI tactics.
I love DW but I think it give you an unfair advantage when going into an engagement. Distances are huge and torpedoes fired back are hugely inacurate.

With CW you have to first get to your quary at patrol speed or transit speed. Giving them a much better chance to fight back when you get in the tactical map.
Old 09-08-19, 03:11 PM   #4
NeonsStyle
Chief

Downloads: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanBoy2006.01 View Post

3. Also if I go to 50ft and face surface ships head on, will this create problems for surface ships active sonar detection range?

4. Is it a "cheat" to use torpedoes in passive mode only? With that I mean would this be very ineffective in real life compared to in game? The reason that I ask is because I never set torpedoes to active mode.
3. Reducing your aspect to enemy active sonar will make you harder to detect. So head on is a wise thing to do, unless you have some distance, and plan to attack and get off the bearing you shot from. ie perpendicular.

4. No, it's not. It's the best way to use them. From what I understand, most modern torpedoes are used in passive. Making them active would only make sense once the enemy is alerted to their presence. Otherwise you give away the main advantage of a submarine. Stealth.

As for it not being forgiving. Just remember, use the full depth and your tools to avoid getting hit. You can watch some of my videos to learn something, or you can look up Jive Turkey on YouTube, he has a few tutorials to help you out.

Cheers

Neon

Hit me up in the Comments or Discussion on my channel or message me on:

NeonsStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 03:08 PM   #5
FanBoy2006.01
Swabbie

Thanks for the info.

I will watch your videos. Weekend is getting closer....