SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-08, 11:25 AM   #61
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default The Mod from hell.

Okay, I am through fooling around. I have spent way too much time with this Mod. So this will be straight business.

I will walk you through what I did. The computer that I use for SH4 runs Windows XP, Professional edition. All downloads to Windows XP from Microsoft are automatically installed and up to date.

1. I have a file folder in the main SH4 folder called Mods and a file folder called Archived Mod Downloads. I downloaded GIEP and CDP1 and CDP22 into the Archived Mods Downloads folder. Then I extracted the three downloaded files described in the preceding sentence to the Mods file.

2. After extracting the files, I opened the Mods file folder. This is where all of my mods are stored. Within the Mods file folder I locate the extracted file folders CDP1, CDP22, GIEP, and a file created by the extraction entitled, "Captain's Girls." At this point, I have these four file folders in the Mods folder relating to the GIEP installation.

3. I activate the GIEP file via JSGME. Note: Rmaining in the GIEP folder are the GirlsInEveryPort_ReadMe file, and an icon of a woman in the red dress which I assume is the program's execution file (which, if I am correct, is described as the "GirlsInEveryPort.exe" file on page 2 of the ReadMe text file.)

4. l move the extracted CDP1 and CDP22 folders and their contents (which includes their respecitive readme texts, thumbnails and tga files) to the Captain's Girl's file folder. Their Captain's Girl's file folder now contains the CDP1 and CDP22 file folders (i.e. they are subfolders in the Captain's Girl file folder.)

5. Returning to the GIEP folder, I open it and create a shortcut for the icon of the woman who looks like she is dancing (i.e. the GIEP program execution file), and drag it to the desk top. [I pull my 12 gauge, side by side, double barreled shotgun (that means its twin barrels are side by side as contracted with a double barreled shotgun that has one barrel on top of the other, which is referred to as "over and under") out of its rack in the back of my Ford pick-up truck, load two shells of #1 buckshot into the chambers, release the safety, cock both hammers, smack my lips, and lean the shotgun next to the computer's hard drive casing.]

6. I follow the instructions re activating a hot key to run the GIEP program. The instructions for this task are straightforward. I set Control + Alt + R as the hot key. [The shotgun begins dancing around the room. My three dogs (toy poodles) leave.]

7. I activate the GIEP program by toggling the hot key (or alternatively, by double clicking on the shortcut icon on my desktop.) Actually, I should say that I initially attempted to activate GIEP by toggling the hot key, and on my next attempt, by double clicking the icon on my desktop.

8. I run SH4. I start a new mission to test GIEP.

9. It did not work.

10. Not easily intimidated, I tried again, starting a new campaign to see if the GIEP mod was working. As you have undoubtedly deduced, it did not, and the captain's desk photo merely displayed the game's stock picture.

11. After spending HOURS on this mod's installation, I calmly reach over, pick-up the shotgun, and fire both barrels at the computer screen, open the window of my second floor computer room, and heave it over the fence into my neighbor's side yard.

12. My son calls Happy Dale Sanatarium in Death Valley and requests information on its admisson policy, telling me that it is fun there, computer simulation games are not part of the cirriculum or treatment, and that I deserve a vacation. I told him that I would check in for a 6 month stay if am unable tot get GIEP working by my birthday, which happens to be tomorrow, so time is of the essence.

13. Anybody seen my dogs?

14. (All files are intact so I can move them, etc. as instructed.)

(The inmates are loose and running the asylum)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 12-13-08 at 04:53 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 08:21 PM   #62
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down
Okay, I am through fooling around. I have spent way too much time with this Mod. So this will be straight business.

I will walk you through what I did. The computer that I use for SH4 runs Windows XP, Professional edition. All downloads to Windows XP from Microsoft are automatically installed and up to date.

1. I have a file folder in the main SH4 folder called Mods and a file folder called Archived Mod Downloads. I downloaded GIEP and CDP1 and CDP22 into the Archived Mods Downloads folder. Then I extracted the three downloaded files described in the preceding sentence to the Mods file.
As I said in the other thread, DO NOT EXTRACT THE MOD INTO THE MODS FOLDER! EXTRACT IT TO YOUR DESKTOP OR ANY OTHER PLACE THAT YOU CAN FIND IT. Then open the folder that is created up and keep opening folders until you get to the GirlInEveryPort folder. THAT IS THE FOLDER THAT YOU WANT TO PUT IN YOUR MODS FOLDER.

Then activate it with JSGME. Then create your shortcuts FROM THE .EXE THAT IS IN THE GAME INSTALL FOLDER, NOT THE MODS FOLDER. Put your pictures in the Captain'sGirls folder in the game install folder, not the mods folder, too.

That should do it. And put the shotgun away, it'll only get you in trouble

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Last edited by Digital_Trucker; 12-13-08 at 08:22 PM.
Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 09:58 PM   #63
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Installed and working

I followed your last email and it worked!!! You have a great selection of photos, etc. Thanks for your patience and help.

Is there anyway to change the poster of girl in the office? If there is, post a reply. If not, don't bother. You have spent enough time dealing with me already.

Thanks again!
Old 12-14-08, 05:13 AM   #64
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Moving on to the next potential issue....

When I tried to install GIEP before, somehow I got Vargas photos showing up when I started the game. They appeared in place of stock game footage at the inception of the game, in place of the Naval personanel that are on the screeen after the introductory scene where the poem is recited, but before you enter the office for mission assignment. I do not know how to replicate that, but there is nothing like a scantily dressed woman to get you ready for battle! Maybe it was part of the stock program? (What did I do right?) If you have any ideas, let me know.

By the way, I downloaded all 25 CDP files and extracted them, so I have enough photos for years to come. It is an amazing collection of pics and art work, which I am sure took considerable time to assemble. It is most appreciated.

Also, I am going to take a run at the Radio Station Manager mod. That ought to scare the hell out of you. I had a problem last time because I did not know where to find the mod, but I located it tonight in Morbius' posting which lists many of the mods. I have installation instructions which I think may be written by you, abut new to the game and had no idea what to do. I have a slightly better understanding now, plus I have learned much in the two months I have been playing and visiting the forum. I will study everything related to the RSM mod tomorrow. Hopefully, I will not have as difficult a time installing RSM as I had with GIEP. I glanced at a screen shot of the Radio Station Manager mod tonight, and it did not scare me too badly. I will try install it tomorrow, along with one radio new station, as a birthday present to myself. I have downloaded the 34 NBC radio station files, and if I get that station up and running properly, then I will install one station per day until I fill up the radio.
Old 12-14-08, 10:16 AM   #65
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Glad you got GIEP runningAs for the pictures showing up in places other than on the desk, I don't have a clue what happened there. Just to set the record straight, too, I didn't do the pictures. Those are Fred8615's hard labor. On the question of putting more girls in the office (like on the wall), it's possible, but those textures contain more than just the picture. It's not something that could be rotated by a program, but if you have one in particlar that you'd like to see in place of one of the posters, that could be done fairly easily.

As for finding my few mods, it's very easy, just look at the bottom of my signature and there are links to most of them. I hope RSM goes well for you. Just remember to follow the readme and make sure that, after the mod is activated, the RadioStationManager program is in the same folder as the game .exe file (SH4.exe).

And Happy Birthday

Old 12-14-08, 01:26 PM   #66
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default The shotgun

I put the shotgun back in the pick up. I will say thanks to Captain Fred in his radio mod thread once I install the radio, which I am starting to work on now. Have a great day.
Old 12-14-08, 05:43 PM   #67
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down
I put the shotgun back in the pick up. I will say thanks to Captain Fred in his radio mod thread once I install the radio, which I am starting to work on now. Have a great day.
I feel safer now. I thought you might start aiming in my direction if it didn't work:rotfl:. Hope you have a good one, too.

Old 12-14-08, 11:32 PM   #68
Urge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm goin' down wrote...
Quote:
Is there anyway to change the poster of girl in the office?
Check out this thread, it is hysterical and you will get more pinups than you can even imagine-literally everywhere.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/5091052285

Urge
Old 12-14-08, 11:58 PM   #69
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Ha Ha

You're right. It is funnier than hell. Where do I get the pin ups to modify the pics on the wall?

This guy Lane, has my sense of humor pegged!
Old 12-15-08, 12:38 PM   #70
Urge
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I never did this but I assume (danger, danger) that you just use the pics you get from fred8615.

Urge
Old 12-15-08, 02:53 PM   #71
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

The files that need to be changed to get the pinup girls on the wall in the office have other things on them, too. It's not just a matter of changing a file and you're done. You have to open up a graphics file and paste the image you want into the right area on the texture, then save it and put it into the game. You would have to manually repeat that process each time you wanted to change the pinup.

Old 12-15-08, 03:54 PM   #72
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urge
I never did this but I assume (danger, danger) that you just use the pics you get from fred8615.

Urge
FTR, I don't have any problem with that.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 05:25 PM   #73
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
i have the real thing.. eat your heart out!

I saw the title of the thread and had to stake claim...

You see I am a 45 year old, United States Navy disabled Veteran medically retired due to injury in the line of duty..

BUT the one good thing I got out of my time in the Navy is that I CAN and DO claim to have had a "Girl in every port"!

You see there was this girl in France and then the one in Ireland... oh man Ireland....... and then the one.........

And now for the punch line...

I DID truthfully have a girl in every port! I married my now ex-wife in Norfolk while serving on the U.S.S. Comte de Grasse DD974, I had my oldest daughter while in Palma de Mallorca Spain, I had my next daughter while serving onboard the U.S.S. Henry B Wilson, DDG7 in San Diego and I had my youngest daughter while based near Great Lakes Naval Station! HA!

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 05:40 PM   #74
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Congratulations

That is quite a story Malakie. Congratulations to you and your family.
Old 12-15-08, 05:45 PM   #75
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
i have the real thing.. eat your heart out!

That was weird... double posted to the thread..

Anyhow, those were the days... Although that girl in Ireland.. I wonder where she is now.....

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Last edited by Malakie; 12-15-08 at 05:55 PM.
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote